Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

New Dining Plan Feature (As of This Week)?

So my family's in WDW while I'm slaving away at college (okay, pity party over, I'm going to WDW two weeks from now ) and they're using the dining plan. We've used the dining plan many times before but this is their first time going where the tip and appetizer were not included. Apparently, at every meal, the server comes over with the bill which has a preprinted "suggested" tip of 18% or 20% already figured out for you. The server points to the suggested tip and then stands there while you pencil in your tip amount and sign your receipt. My parents are pretty baffled by this and say that the pressure to tip way more than you want to is ridiculous. This has happened at every meal since they left (on the 25th). Even as someone who has worked in food service, I would never EXPECT to be tipped 20%.

Is this a good move on Disney's part? Is doubling the tax or 15% no longer appropriate? Does anyone else find this pretty rude? Any other experiences with this weird tipping policy?

• Banned User

Re: New Dining Plan Feature (As of This Week)?

yeah I had heard this from others on a different board.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

One reason why I hardly do the sit-down restaurants at WDW. But when I had 2 meals at Kona Cafe earlier this month, neither of my servers hovered over me to see how much I was going to tip. I also paid with cash.

The suggested tip of 18% or 20% appears on all reciepts even if your not on the Disney Dinning Plan. And I have never seen a waiter or waitress wait as the guest fills it out. They likely had one bad experience. Just out of curiosity, I will go and double check all this information tonight. I'll be dinning at Jiko, no Dinning plan, but I look to see if I see any server waiting at a table as they present the check.

• Banned User

the talk is its happening just with the dining plan folks. the waitresses are afraid they will not get tiped since the old plan was tips were included.

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    One reason why I hardly do the sit-down restaurants at WDW. But when I had 2 meals at Kona Cafe earlier this month, neither of my servers hovered over me to see how much I was going to tip. I also paid with cash.
    Yeah, apparently, from what we've heard, it's only the Dining Plan people and this has only happened in the last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    They likely had one bad experience
    At first my parents just thought this was a fluke...but it has happened every time they've had a sit down meal this week.

I understand that the servers might be scared that they won't get tipped...but asking for 20% and then hanging around to see if you get it is crazy, in my opinion.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I actually have heard about this previously, since the tip was eliminated from the dining plan.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

I think its just talk. Though I was not on the dinning plan last night, I activily looked for this behavior. You might even say aggresively look. I looked for tables paying with room keys, LOTS were. But in all cases, I never saw the server hover. Now I don't doubt for a moment the word of someone else who says they experienced it, but I do also feel confident saying its not a sterotype behavior on most or even just "a lot" of servers. I'll continue to look for it when I get back from Disneyland. three hours until flight time.... time to go to the airport.

• Banned User

18-20% is ridiculous. Tipping is already the world's biggest scam -- why can't employers just pay their employees properly??
    Now we have some kind of "tip inflation" -- 15% isn't good enough anymore?
    Here's a totally wacky idea; how about a new dining plan feature that actually does something for the consumer?

• Too far from Disney World

I'll watch for this next week when we go as we will be using the free dining plan. I budgeted for tips. But I tip according to the service I receive. Not according to the "suggested" amount. I worked in food service in high school and college and I'd be embarressed to stand there and expect a tip!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    18-20% is ridiculous. Tipping is already the world's biggest scam -- why can't employers just pay their employees properly??
    Now we have some kind of "tip inflation" -- 15% isn't good enough anymore?
    Here's a totally wacky idea; how about a new dining plan feature that actually does something for the consumer?
    Actually it's not a scam, waiters and waitresses are exempt from minimum wage, in many places they may be making less than $1.50/hour and they are supposed to report and share a potion of the tips with the bus boys and hostesses, wine stewards, etc depending on he restaurant it seems to vary quite a lot. Also they don't usually get the tips on credit cards till payday, and of course if a party leaves without paying in many restaurants the waiter or waitress gets stuck with the bill which can wipe out a couple days worth of tips depending on the venue. The restaurant business can be very cut throat and have very thin margins, or at least that's the excuse for not paying standard competitive wages for wait staff. It's kinda sad when you think about it when someone working at a fast food restaurant can consistently make a higher wage than a waitress in a nice restaurant.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Little Miss Sunshine

I just read elsewhere about a woman who had a server chase her down (since the tip wasn't big enough). The server said she owed her a $51 tip, the woman had left $31 (but another member of the party had left the other $20).

Can you imagine being chased? Yikes!!!!! I prefer the way the old system was - tips included with the plan. It ensured the servers got tipped, and noone was chased!
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    Can you imagine being chased? Yikes!!!!! I prefer the way the old system was - tips included with the plan. It ensured the servers got tipped, and noone was chased!
    Me too -- the plan was simpler and more enjoyable when everything was taken care of. I've worked in food service, I know how much it sucks when someone skimps on the tip...however, standing and waiting for your tip or CHASING someone for a tip is just crazy. In my opinion, doubling the tax/15% is standard and anything more is generous -- is this not correct anymore? I'm headed down to WDW next week on the dining plan and I'm curious to see this situation for myself.
    Last edited by MadameGracey73; 08-31-2008 at 09:22 PM.

• Banned User

The dining plan was not an option for my trip. I would have had to buy it and the way it came out I would not be a head buying it and tipping. I chose to not do the dining plan and just do some table service and some counter service.

• Banned User

I have a question about the dining plan -- to those who have used it, did you think it was worthwhile? Did it save you money? I have to decide whether to use it on my next WDW trip, so any opinions would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast