Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

No More Thrill Rides for You!

ORDDU: So, ducklings, what would you all do if your doctor suddenly told you that, due to a medical condition, you could never again ride a roller coaster or any OTHER type of thrill ride? Well, this is exactly what happened to a dear friend of ours earlier this week, after he had an MRI scan that revealed his vertabrea to have 80% of his discs as being herniated.

ORWEN: We feel so bad for our friend. He's a part time cast member and only 35 years old.

ORDDU: He had been complaining about back pains for some time and admitted he hasn't been sleeping very well of late. He deals with spasms all the time.

ORWEN: We've known him for 7 years, now, and have often gone to the Disney theme parks with him--both in Florida and California. Roller coasters and thrill rides have always been his favorite things to do. Now he has to give them up.

ORDDU: The last time he recently rode Expedition Everest, he said the sudden backwards motion caused him some pain and he knew, then and there, that something must be wrong. After all, he's ridden this particular coaster several times since it opened and knew what to expect. Still, his doctor has given him strict orders to stay away from such things. He may even have to have back surgery in the near future, young as he is.

ORWEN: So, from now on, it's only the tame things at the parks he'll be able to ride.

ORGOCH: Got Trickey's Philhartragic?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Re: No More Thrill Rides for You!

Well, that's just major suckage. I hope your friend can find the fun with rides less jolting.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

There are plenty of slower rides that are great fun! Sure, it totally sucks not being able to go on the thrill rides, but thankfully, Disney isn't just about thrill rides.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

that's such a bummer, my husband is dealing with the same sort of thing as he has bulging discs at L4-5. on his last visit to his doctor she told him he needs to stop going on the Matterhorn (she knows about our frequent trips to DLR). fortunantly this was the only ride she told him to avoid, which i thought was surprising, i would have thought she would have included Indy too.
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Aaww man. So sorry to hear that. Gentle to your friend.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Minion

ORDDU: We're sorry to hear of another dear heart with similar problems, elly, dear. Indiana Jones happens to be one of our friend's favorite rides, too, and we never even THOUGHT about THAT one being a problem as well.

ORWEN: When our friend--Jason--was first told he couldn't do thrill rides any more, he said the same thing you said back there, MTNGIRL.

ORDDU: Even though there are plenty of other things to do at the parks, Jason doesn't get that much pleasure from doing them. He isn't into dark rides. It's mostly thrills he goes for.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

thankfully Dustin does love the slower rides and dark rides..its not all that uncommon for us to go on The Haunted Mansion 8 or 9 times in a row during a visit

i hope that maybe Jason will develop a love of the other rides so that he still enjoys his visits
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Banned User

I posted this in a private club today...

I have my scooter all rented... I have such bad back problems that unless I use it I will not make this journey. I am now on full time pain meds , steriods etc. and was told no way should I go. but I am and thats that. I was told I needed back surgery... I have seen how those who went thru that still had no relief from pain so no way will I be going under the knife. also I was told that since I was alergic to anesthesia's it was not safe, I almost died under it 14 years ago.
    my back, from my neck down has herniated disc's spinal stenosis and spinal arthritis ( MRI was scary ) walking will be impossible, so I got a scooter and will be doing wdw on a scooter. that ought to be a report in its self as no park is close enough to ride the scooter to so I will have to take a bus to each park, and a monorail to the magic kingdom. I hate saying anything here because this board is not as considerate of those " fat people on scooters" which makes me sad and uncomfortable. I am video'ing part of our trip each day, and lots of pictures. so we will have youtube and we will have pictures.
    we are very excited... me the most I think because I know this gal will not be making any more trips to any parks . But I am trying to make this as painless and as wonderful as possible !!

• Little Miss Sunshine

I am sorry about your friend.

I've got to admit - if it was me, I'd probably still ride unless in terrible pain. Hopefully any surgery will help him greatly. It would be hard to lose a source of enjoyment at such a young age.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

I wish you a great trip, Hakuna. Relax and make the best of it. Thankfully, Disney parks offer joy to everyone, even if you can't do the thrill rides.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I wish you a great trip, Hakuna. Relax and make the best of it. Thankfully, Disney parks offer joy to everyone, even if you can't do the thrill rides.
    Thanks Disneyfann
    oh I will be doing the thrill rides I have got to ! I will ride the yeti, and dinosaurs and the space ride ( extreme side)

• Banned User

I love Dinosaur. Those are the scariest and most incredibly realistic looking AAs I've ever seen.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If I was told no more thrill rides I'd be devastated. I'm a roller coaster junkie so when I go to parks outside of WDW, I have to go on the coasters. Some places, like Busch Gardens and Cedar Point (though I haven't been there in years), I pretty much only ride the coasters.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I posted this in a private club today...

I have my scooter all rented... I have such bad back problems that unless I use it I will not make this journey. I am now on full time pain meds , steriods etc. and was told no way should I go. but I am and thats that. I was told I needed back surgery... I have seen how those who went thru that still had no relief from pain so no way will I be going under the knife. also I was told that since I was alergic to anesthesia's it was not safe, I almost died under it 14 years ago.
    my back, from my neck down has herniated disc's spinal stenosis and spinal arthritis ( MRI was scary ) walking will be impossible, so I got a scooter and will be doing wdw on a scooter. that ought to be a report in its self as no park is close enough to ride the scooter to so I will have to take a bus to each park, and a monorail to the magic kingdom. I hate saying anything here because this board is not as considerate of those " fat people on scooters" which makes me sad and uncomfortable. I am video'ing part of our trip each day, and lots of pictures. so we will have youtube and we will have pictures.
    we are very excited... me the most I think because I know this gal will not be making any more trips to any parks . But I am trying to make this as painless and as wonderful as possible !!

When I read the original post, my thoughts were; It if was me, yes it would suck, but it could be much worse. Then I read your post, and I think that qualifies as much worse.

Yeah, there are many things that I like to do that if I could not do, it would upset me. But as long as I am still alive and for the most part functional, I tend to look at that as a good thing.

I used to hike a lot, and loved rock scrambles. Used to jump through them like a mountain goat. Then my knee started acting up. Went to the Doc, had the MRI, and was told that my knee is built wrong. In laymans terms, the bones dont line up qute right, and it puts lateral stresses on it. The Doc's options - live with it (hike less, work on the muscle groups around it, and deal with any pain) or have him fix it (break the knee apart, and reassamble it). I went with option one. I work on my legs at the gum, to support my knees, I hike with poles, and when my knee hurts ice and a margarita helps a lot Yeah its a pain at times, but I see people who are a lot worse off than me, and then its not so bad.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Disneyholic

There is life after roller coasters, and you may find if he takes it easy for a few years and does whatever PT he's told to do he may be able to work back up to it. I have 2 bulging disks in my back, broke my shoulder in 7 places in a biking accident and had to have a lot of surgery just to be able to drive again and I never thought I would be able to do all the tings I used to do.

While my wife won't let me near a motorcycle without threat of divorce, after over a year of PT, loosing about 20 lbs, a sleep number bed, and a lot of pain meds later I'm able to ride everything again pain free. In fact true story, when Everest first opened up I rode it alone with a guy who has back and neck surgery who's doctor told him never to ride a coaster again, and we both came through the experience with no ill effects. So it can be done... but I don't recommend ignoring your dr's orders like he did... Work with your doctor, hopefully things get healed up over time (takes a lot longer as you get older) and he may be back on the horse (or in this case bobsled) in a year or so if he's lucky.

I don't know how heavy he is but loosing weight helps a lot too, since being diagnosed with diabetes I've dropped down to about 200 pounds (I'm 5-11, and still considered overweight... who comes up with that crap anyway? It's the Diet-Industrial complex propaganda I tell ya!) But I can tell ya after dropping the extra weight over the past year and a half I can really tell the difference with my back.

Tell him to keep his chin up and don't give up.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast