• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Tours within WDW

ok, so I have been to WDW plenty of time, and I always enjoy myself, so its not like I am new to WDW.

However over the weekend I was looking through the Birnbaum guide and I see all these tours they offer (ie. a safari tour, a dolphin interaction, ect) and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these tours, and if they are worth it??

• Disneyholic

Re: Tours within WDW

Quote Originally Posted by Parisi View Post
    ok, so I have been to WDW plenty of time, and I always enjoy myself, so its not like I am new to WDW.

However over the weekend I was looking through the Birnbaum guide and I see all these tours they offer (ie. a safari tour, a dolphin interaction, ect) and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried these tours, and if they are worth it??
    I've done the around the world at Epcot twice now since it was so much fun the first time. Mostly because it's just so amazing to tour the entire world showcase on a Segway.

The steam trains tour is great at the MK, especially if your into trains and you get to see the MK before it opens int he morning. The family tour is ok, it's basically a scavenger hunt but it is fun, the Keys to the kingdom I'm waiting to do until my daughter is 16 since she told me I was not allowed to go on any more tours without her.

So far I have yet to hear a bad review of any of the tours. (thus opening the door for TDL to step in and say.....)
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: Tours within WDW

There are many reviews of all the tours at Deb's Unofficial Walt Disney World Vacation Information Guide - WDW Planning Guide - Walt Disney World
    I can definitely vouch for the Epcot Dive Quest if you dive.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Blog Entries

A friend and I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK a few years ago and loved it. We were worried that we wouldn't learn anything since we are such bg Disney fans but we totally did. I would highly recommend it!

• Killer of Threads

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    A friend and I did the Keys to the Kingdom tour at MK a few years ago and loved it. We were worried that we wouldn't learn anything since we are such bg Disney fans but we totally did. I would highly recommend it!
    Mind if i ask how much it cost? I realize that it's been a few years since you went, so the cost is bound to have gone up...

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Mind if i ask how much it cost? I realize that it's been a few years since you went, so the cost is bound to have gone up...
    From the Official Walt Disney World Web Site: $60.00 Although there are discounts available on all tours if you use your Disney Visa card.

Open the door to the secrets behind the creation and growth of the Magic Kingdom. Enjoy stops backstage and at a variety of favorite attractions as you discover the remarkable history of the Park and hear intriguing stories about Walt Disney, his visions, philosophies and amazing accomplishments.

Duration: 4 1/2 - 5 hours
    Cost: $60.00 per person

Additional Information
    • Book a tour in advance by calling (407) WDW-TOUR.
    • Guests must be at least 16 years old to attend this program.
    • Lunch is included.
    • This is an outdoor walking program.
    • Guest are required to have a photo ID in their possession during the program.
    • Large bags and cameras are not permitted on this tour.

• Killer of Threads

Thanks Jerren! You're like a book.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    Thanks Jerren! You're like a book.

Professional Disney Planner, I have to be it's my job!

Well one of them anyways...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

I've taken a few of the tours at WDW and enjoyed every one of them! Depending on your interests, some tours may be more engaging than others. But they are all extremely well done.

Keys to the Kingdom
    Backstage Safari
    Dolphins in Depth
    Around the World on a Segway

The Backstage Safari and Segway tours are probably my favorites out of the four tours that I've tried. I may have to try another tour when I go on the WDW Invasion next month.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo4 View Post
    I've taken a few of the tours at WDW and enjoyed every one of them! Depending on your interests, some tours may be more engaging than others. But they are all extremely well done.

Keys to the Kingdom
    Backstage Safari
    Dolphins in Depth
    Around the World on a Segway

The Backstage Safari and Segway tours are probably my favorites out of the four tours that I've tried. I may have to try another tour when I go on the WDW Invasion next month.
    They have a new one that goes on the nature trails at Fort Wilderness, using the newer "off road" segways. (although I believe they make you stay on the trails and not actually go off road... )

• Geoff London

We've done "Backstage Magic" back in 2000. It was fantastic - meeting the AAs of Mark Twain and Ben Franklin at American Adventure, standing underneath Body Wars at Epcot's Wonders of Life pavilion, walking through the utilidors under Magic Kingdom - seeing the Mad Hatter get ready for a meet & greet, visting "Parade Central" where the daily parade is all co-ordinated, lunch at Mama Melrose's, going backstage to the Imagineering workshops and costume department, receiving samples of the textlies used to make Mickey's costume, seeing the Electrical Water Pageant by day, being taught a parade dance routine in a studio...........it was day we will always remember. Sadly some of it has changed since 9/11 and security has been tightened up. (It cost about $180 each at the time). No backstage photos. No children allowed on tour. Everyone received a plexiglass Mickey made in the workshops.

Behind Our Steam Trains tour - if you love steam trains then you must do this. We did this last October (2007). Join one of the engineers for the morning. Tour starts 7:15 a.m. Ride the train around an empty park - eerie! Reverse out through the berm to the "Roundhouse". Watch them get the trains steamed up and ready, test the brakes, learn the history, be a conductor, switch the turnout, pick up passengers as the park opens and then spend time chatting to the engineer until lunch. Receive a special pin only given out on the tour. ($40 per person)

Note photo I D must be shown at the start of all tours - park admission is also required for some of them.

Full list of tours:

Animal Kingdom Tours

• Backstage Safari

Tour backstage animal facilities such as the veterinary hospital and elephant barn.
      - Offered Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
      - $65 per person (Theme park admission is required.)
      - 3 hours duration.
    • Wild by Design
      Stories behind the making of the park - how art, architecture, artefacts and story-telling combine to transport guests to exotic lands; insight into the care of wild animals and their habitats; light continental breakfast provided.
      - Offered Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.
      - $58 per person (Theme park admission is required.)
      - 3 hours duration.

Disney-MGM Studios Tours

• None currently available, however, Backstage Magic and Yuletide Fantasy visit the Studios as part of the tour.

Epcot Tours

• Behind the Seeds

Discover these secrets and more on this special backstage tour in The Land pavilion at Epcot. Go alligator gazing, release lady bugs in greenhouses and explore hydroponic crops from around the world. Then sprout seeds in your pocket to plant your own Disney magic at home.
      - Offered daily.
      - No age restrictions.- 1 hour duration.
      - $10.00 per Guest 3-9, $12.00 per Guest 10+ (Theme park admission is required.)
    • Dolphins in Depth

Get up close and personal with the animals knee-deep in the water; swimsuit required.- Offered Monday to Friday.
      - Ages 13 and up (Minors must be accompanied by a guardian adult aged 18 & up).
      - 3 hours duration.
      - $150 per person (no theme park admission required.)
    • Epcot DiveQuest

Open-water scuba certification required and ages 10-14 must be diving with a parent or legal guardian; bring swimsuit (locker room provided for change); diving gear provided.- Offered daily.
      - 3 hours duration.
      - $140 per person (no theme park admission required.)
    • Epcot Seas Aqua Tour
      Non-scuba-certified guests have an in-the-water experience with the animals using scuba-assisted snorkelling equipment (provided); swimsuit required; no observers permitted backstage; refreshments, T- shirt, and group photo provided.
      - Offered daily.
      - Ages 8 and up (Parent or adult guardian must sign waiver for all minors aged 8-16 AND must participate in the program along with the minor.)
      - 2.5 hours duration.
      - $100 per person (no theme park admission required.)
    • Gardens of the World

- Offered Tuesday and Thursday.
      - Ages 16 and up.
      - 3 hours duration.
      - $59 (Theme park admission is required.)
    • Hidden Treasures (of World Showcase)

- Offered Tuesday and Thursday.
      - Ages 16 and up.
      - 3.5 hours duration.
      - $59 (Theme park admission is required.)
    • Around the World at Epcot (Segway)
      Guests "test drive" the Segway Human Transporter.- Offered daily at 8:30 and 9:30 a.m.
      - 2 hours duration.
      - Ages 16 and up, weight maximum 250 lbs.
      - $80 per person (Theme park admission is required.)
    • Simply Segway
      Offered daily (except Tuesdays) at 12:30 and 1:45 p.m.
      - 1 hour duration.
      - $45 per person (Theme park admission is required.)
    • UnDISCOVERed Future World
      The "The UnDISCOVERed Future World" tour takes guests back to the creation of Epcot and discusses the legacy of Walt Disney and his plans for a better world. This walking tour covers all of the Future World pavilions and gives guests a glance at how each area celebrates man's accomplishments and challenges. Guests will discover the vision behind this most unique Disney Theme Park. This tour will also give guests a chance to step backstage and explore some of the areas where Disney guests are never allowed. Some highlights include a VIP lounge area and the Cast Services building where they will meet an international Ambassador for a personal greeting. Guests will also be treated to an up close view of our Epcot Marina where the barges for our night time spectacular IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth are housed.
      - Offered Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays, at 9:00 am.
      - 4 hours duration.
      - Ages 16 and up.
      - $49.00 per person (Theme park admission is required.)

Magic Kingdom Tours

• Family Magic Experience

This is a primer for first-time visitors with children, a skip (literally) through the magical lands.- Offered daily.
      - No age restrictions.
      - 2 hours duration.
      - $25 per person (Theme park admission is required.)
    • Keys to the Kingdom

Unlock the "keys" to the Magic Kingdom Park with this unique four and a half hour tour that allows our guests to take a special look at the history, heritage, and philosophies behind the Park. Guests will hear intriguing stories of Walt Disney and how his legacy is still alive in the
      dedication and talent of today's Cast Members. This informative expedition takes Guests through the Park's themed lands as well as backstage to marvel at the operation that makes all the magic
      possible.
      - Offered daily.
      - 4.5 hours duration.
      - Ages 16 and older.
      - $58 per person (Theme park admission is required.)
    • Mickey's Magical Milestones Tour
      Take a look at the history, heritage and philosophies behind the park; visits themed lands and backstage.
      - Offered Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
      - 2 hours duration.
      - Ages 10 and up.
      - $25 per person (Theme park admission is required.)
    • The Magic Behind Our Steam Trains

An inside look at the Walt Disney World Railroad and an opportunity to learn about Walt Disney's love of steam trains; see how the trains are prepared for their daily operation.
      - Offered Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday.
      - 3 hours duration.
      - Ages 10 and up.
      - $40 per person (Theme park admission is required.)

Walt Disney World Tours

• Backstage Magic

This 7-hour behind-the-scenes adventure guides you through a variety of locations, where you will observe what it takes to create and maintain the "magic" every day. Tour the Magic Kingdom utilidor (tunnel) and the Holiday Center. You will also visit Central Shops where repair work is done - painting might include signs one day, carousel horses the next! At Epcot, see what goes on behind the scenes and how our attractions operate at the American Adventure. Enjoy lunch at Mama Melrose in the Disney-MGM Studios and visit the Costuming & Cosmetology Building.
      - Offered Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.
      - 7 hours duration.
      - Ages 16 and up.
      - $199 (no theme park admission required.)
    • Yuletide Fantasy (seasonal)

Visits resorts and theme parks to see how holiday traditions are woven into decorations that turn Walt Disney World into a 47-square-mile winter wonderland.
      - Offered seasonally.
      - 3.5 hours duration.
      - Ages 16 and up.
      - $59 (no theme park admission required.)
    • Wilderness Back Trail Adventure Segway Tour

Challenge yourself to the "Wilderness Back Trail Adventure" at Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, where you will experience first hand a Segway X2 Personal Transporter. You will be equipped with helmets and have a product overview before we take you outdoors to travel through the wilderness. This is a 2 hours beginners tour and includes some training time. Even if Guest is an experienced Segway user, it is mandatory they attend the entire training portion of the tour. The first portion of the tour will be in a covered pavilion and goes on rain or shine.

Cameras and video cameras are permitted on the tour. Allow adequate travel time to reach the Fort Wilderness Pavilion. Guests driving to Fort Wilderness will be required to park in the Day Guest Parking Lot and board a bus to the Settlement Depot. Allow an additional 20 minutes for the internal bus once you arrive at Fort Wilderness. It is a short walk from the Settlement Depot to the Fort Wilderness Pavilion. Guests booking the 8:30am tour must provide their own transportation to the Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground as Disney transportation will not be operating at that time. Guests must arrive at the Fort Wilderness Pavilion 15 minutes prior to tour time. Late arrivals will not be able to join the tour.

Same day bookings are walk-up only at time of tour and based on availability. No phone calls accepted for same day bookings.

- Offered Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. Times: 8:30am and 11:30am.
      - $85.00 per person
      - Ages 16 and over
    • Custom Tours
      - Custom itineraries are available at $135 per hour, for a minimum of 5 hours duration.
    Last edited by geoffa; 09-09-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Fit Cat

Parisi... I took the "Magic Behind Our Steam Trains Tour" last year, and it was really interesting. I also posted a review of the tour with photos if you'd like to check it out...

I've Been Workin' on the Railroad... The WDW Steam Trains Tour!

It's the only Disney tour I've ever been on, but it was very interesting. I'd hope the other tours are just as engaging and informative as this one was.
    -Tony

Thanks one and all for this info. I've visited WDW many times, but never seriously considered a tour (although I've taken them at DLR!) as I'm always so busy to try and get it all done! Next time I go I'm going to allow a day for a tour. They sound great. Thanks again...
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

We did two tours last November: Around the World (Segway) and Behind the Seeds. Both were great! After the Segway experience, we tried to book more Segway time. My husband really loved it. BtS was great. Very informative. I thought it was so cool to see Living with the Land from a different perspective.

The one thing I would have done differently is to schedule no more than 1 tour per day. That was a whole lot of walking/working out (Segways) for one day.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Hey has anyone done the:

Epcot Seas Aqua Tour
    Non-scuba-certified guests have an in-the-water experience with the animals using scuba-assisted snorkelling equipment (provided); swimsuit required; no observers permitted backstage; refreshments, T- shirt, and group photo provided.
    - Offered daily.
    - Ages 8 and up (Parent or adult guardian must sign waiver for all minors aged 8-16 AND must participate in the program along with the minor.)
    - 2.5 hours duration.
    - $100 per person (no theme park admission required.)

I always love to snorkle, but have yet to get my scuba certs... so I was wondering how this tour was??