• Defying gravity

Thumbs up Free Wireless Internet in all WDW rooms

I've been thinking...for any other average Best Western, La Quinta, Hampton Inn, etc. it would be UNACCEPTABLE not to offer free internet access - wired or wireless. Yet, even deluxe WDW resorts charge you $10 for a period of 24 hours a day. The only time you can get free internet is if you are a DVC member staying in a DVC resort on points. I can see not offering free internet in the value resorts, but I believe that it really should be offered at the moderates and up.

I suppose that Disney realizes that they have a very captive audience and that peoples' main concern is that they are on property, regardless of the amenities or lack there of. Thoughts? Is not offering Internet going to eventually cost Disney customers?

• May the F=ma be with you

Re: Free Wireless Internet in all WDW rooms

There is no such thing as free internet.

What ever is subtracted somewhere, is added elsewhere. And I assume that most guests will not be to happy about paying an extra $30-$50 per week for a service that they do not utilize.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• Imagineer

At the Contemporary Resort, they have a computer that you can use the internet on in the room

• Too far from Disney World

I think that people are so connected these days that Disney knows they can get people to pay $10 a day. We did for one night so we could check our bank accounts because we couldn't access our bank site from our blackberries.

Did I like/agree with paying for it? No, but I knew we were going to have to.

I think Disney should offer it at all resorts for no extra cost or at least an area where we can pick up wireless (say the food courts).
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Disneyholic

Well first off not all chains offer free Internet, most Marriott hotels for example do not, and some like the higher end Hilton chain hotels may offer free wireless in some areas but charge $10-$12 a night for wired network connections. Even then individual hotels within a chain may choose to offer it free where others may charge more usually due to local economics or competitor's practices.

It's far from standardized, but as a business traveler I expect t pay $10-12/night most places as a given which is why the consulting firm I work for opted to offer those of us who travel the option of paying for wireless broadband connections as the $50/month fee for that service is cheaper than the nightly charges for internet access at hotels plus the airport fees etc. I've been using it for a couple years now and I can say that my sprint wireless broadband is faster than the wired access in the Disney hotels and the coverage is excellent.

The Contemporary has computers in most of the nicer rooms, Coronado Springs has free wireless due to the convention center and may be adding them to the rooms as well with the new refurbs and additon of the business class club level. Both hotels have large conference centers and compete with local non Disney hotel's conference centers directly so I have a feeling that's the driver behind the free offerings there.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I've been thinking...for any other average Best Western, La Quinta, Hampton Inn, etc. it would be UNACCEPTABLE not to offer free internet access - wired or wireless. Yet, even deluxe WDW resorts charge you $10 for a period of 24 hours a day. The only time you can get free internet is if you are a DVC member staying in a DVC resort on points. I can see not offering free internet in the value resorts, but I believe that it really should be offered at the moderates and up.

I suppose that Disney realizes that they have a very captive audience and that peoples' main concern is that they are on property, regardless of the amenities or lack there of. Thoughts? Is not offering Internet going to eventually cost Disney customers?
    "Budget" hotels such as Best Western and Hampton Inn don't charge (somtimes). Marriots, Loews, and other more expensive ones do. The mid range ones seem to use it as an attraction - "free internet" whoop-de-do. The higher priced ones normaly do charge for it. When I travel for business, I normaly stay at the higher priced ones, because they are usualy closer to the city business centers, and have better features, such as on site restaruant, decent health club, and the all important lobby bar.

When I travel for business, I have wireless broadband. For all the iPhones and Blackberries out there, I am suprised more people don't go this route (I have a dedicated air card, because Blackberrys make me a-scared but thats a different story).

I think Disney is right in line with other hotels on their internet charges.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

For what its worth...the Disney hotels in the Disneyland Resort all offer free wifi. I use it every time I'm in the Grand Californian (usually every trip for one reason or another). Even the Dream Suite has free wifi. Noticed that on accident standing underneath it in line for Pirates.

We seem to see these "Should WDW Have Free Wifi" threads about every 6 months. Popular subject.

Here's my post from March of this year in the thread Should Disney offer Free Internet Service for their resort Guests?

>>>

I have my Verizon EVDO broadband-enabled cell phone "tethered" to my laptop via Bluetooth, so I can get hi-speed internet just about anywhere without the need for a WiFi hotspot.

But on my last trip to WDW, I thought I'd test out the dial-up in the room and used the free local calls to dial into AT&T, and got a fairly-decent-for-dial-up speed of 50.2k...which I find is plenty fast for checking emails and visiting the occasional website (and on-line airline check-in, etc). I would really only need broadband hi-speed if I were downloading or uploading huge files such as photos.

It's been pretty SOP in the hotel industry for years, that Resort locations and higher-end properties tend to charge extra for broadband (though sometimes rolling it into a communications bundle supplement or resort fee)...while lower-priced hotels tend to offer broadband for free. This may be counter to "common sense" for some, but in the hotel industry there's always been a bit of a "If you can afford to stay here...then you can afford to pay for more incidental services" business model at Resort and higher priced properties.

That is a generalization however, and there are exceptions, usually based on local competition and other free WiFi available in the area.

A good example of an exception to the rule, would be the Disneyland Resort in California. The Disney hotels there offer free broadband in the guestrooms. Mainly because they are in a much more competitive market and area, and also there are so many free signals in the area from other hotels, that you can often hitch-a-ride on one of them, right from your Disney hotel room.

But in Florida...Disney's got a captive market.

I'm sure the people that use internet heavily while at WDW...wish WiFi were included in their room price. But I bet those that don't use the internet much while at WDW...are glad it's an a la carte charge for those that use it only, and that it has not driven their room price up higher.

<<<

• Little Miss Sunshine

I think it will eventually happen - just like the mini-fridges in most rooms and the trundles at POR being built into the price - plus, local calls are now free at Disney hotels. Most hotels I stay at that aren't Disney-owned do include wireless. Marriott Residence Inn does, as well as many small hotels.

At the very least, Disney should offer a length-of-stay option, like they do on the Disney Cruise Line. But again, I do think eventually it will just be part of what is included in the room price.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.