Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: your feelings? (Mickey Sorcerer's Hat)

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    i have no problem with it whatsoever.
    Dood...I diagnose you with a bad case of Eisneritis...seek immediate medical attention.
    Down with the Hat

My one gripe with the BAH is that it completely ruined the themeing and story of the park. If they moved it to the entrance to Fantansmic!, put it outside the turnstiles or incorporated it into Animation Courtyard somehow, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

It's SO. UGLY.

Who could have possibly thought it was a good idea? Destroys the theming.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I still like it. It goes beautifully with the theme of four icons, one for each park. LOL

Someone here who's at MGM- I mean Hollywood Studios use their video camera, get 10 or 20 random visitors and ask them point blank what they think about the hat, post the video on here and get your answer what the "average" visitor thinks about the hat.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

But the park already had an icon.

• Member of Baxter's Army

I personally don't like the Hat but it is the Marketing symbol for DHS now. So I think they should move it near the entrance to the park.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I still like it. It goes beautifully with the theme of four icons, one for each park. LOL
    That's an interesting use of the word "theme." Assuming that DHS didn't have an icon for the park (which is not how I see it)...I still don't see how having "one icon for each park" is a "theme." The only theme I am aware of, is a romanticized version of the Golden Age of Hollywood...and in my book, the Hat doesn't fit that theme. Maybe we could take a leap of faith and say...OK, the Hat is from Fantasia, Fantasia is from the Golden Age, and therefore it fits. Let's take a similar leap of faith and say that the Hat is a more fitting climax to the the Boulevard than the Theater. If we go by that kind of logic, I'm sure you'll agree, that it would make great sense to put a giant Glass Slipper in front of Cinderella's Castle.

Someone here who's at MGM- I mean Hollywood Studios use their video camera, get 10 or 20 random visitors and ask them point blank what they think about the hat, post the video on here and get your answer what the "average" visitor thinks about the hat.
    Have you ever seen "Jaywalking" on the Leno's show? That will give you an idea of the intellect and taste of the average person. In Walt's day, Disney showed people what they should want, not the other way around...and that is how such high standards were achieved.
    Down with the Hat

• Member of Baxter's Army

The average person's intelect is going down everyday. No offense to anyone on this site. I know you guys are smart.

• never late, never early

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBlaster View Post
    Isn't that the world's largest unmovable pin cart?
    sounds about right.

If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.
    -Winnie the Pooh

I written polite letters to multiple WDI and WDW executives asking them to please move or remove the BAH. Strangely, they never reply....

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by spacemtn77 View Post
    I written polite letters to multiple WDI and WDW executives asking them to please move or remove the BAH. Strangely, they never reply....
    The bigger problem is, no one in power has an emotional attachment to WDW. People like Baxter and Lasseter are great...but they care mainly about the original DL. What WDW needs is someone who grew up with it, and cares about it, to be in a position of power within the corporation. Otherwise when bad decsions are made, such as the BAH, no one cares enough to speak up.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    The bigger problem is, no one in power has an emotional attachment to WDW. People like Baxter and Lasseter are great...but they care mainly about the original DL. What WDW needs is someone who grew up with it, and cares about it, to be in a position of power within the corporation. Otherwise when bad decsions are made, such as the BAH, no one cares enough to speak up.
    Sad but true! You would think they would see it otherwise b/c of the revenue WDW generates. Plus, it is the ultimate vision of Walt's dream. Sadly, management doesn't seem to care about quality anymore.

BTW, if Disney is reading, I have that emotional attachment and I'm available for employment immediately.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I heard they "covered up" the theater for copyright or licensing reasons associated with the rebranding of the park and removal of MGM. I doubt this has much truth behind it, but what have the rest of you heard?
    This is not true.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by halltd View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only reason it's there is so the park has some "icon" or "wienie" they can use for advertising the park. I'm not sure why they stopped using the Earful Tower, but whatever.
    I agree, I for one liked the earful tower, it made sense as in those days every studio had those big water towers with their logo's on them.

One thing I had heard a while back from a CM was the BAH being so large and dominating like it is (which is probably why we all hate it so much) does serve a useful purpose besides being an over sized pin cart. It's a good point of reference to help people navigate around the park. Prior to it's construction a lot of "casual" visitors (as opposed to APers who go all the time) where getting lost or disoriented while at the studio's due to it's non traditional layout.

The BAH helped in that it is visible everywhere and is centrally located so people can navigate by it and find there way to the main drag ad the exit. (AK had a similar problem, people could not find the bridge back to the entrance and they had to add those colourful exit bird signs to the bridge so people could figure out how to get out... )
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

The Hat was originally built in celebration of Walt Disney's 100th Birthday. I was the main icon for that years celebration. Originally it was to be temporary and then be dismantled after the celebration. During the planning stages though things changed. The Chinese Theater was sold to a new company and they wanted Disney to pay them royalties for the image of their theater in the Florida park.

Aside from the fact that the Disney version is/was much cleaner and mre apealing than the California original. It was also at this time that they threatened to bring a lawsuit against Disney for doing the daily or weekly handprint ceremonies in front of the theater. In case you haven't noticed, there has been no new hand/foot prints put in for a long time.

During the planning stage it was deemed necessary to hide the theater rather than tear it down. Even the parks photographers are forbidden to take a picture of it no matter how much a guest requests it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-26-2008, 02:05 PM