Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Disneyholic

Re: your feelings? (Mickey Sorcerer's Hat)

I think that would only be the case if they used the same name, the architectural styling is considered public domain, you don't see movie sets paying royalties when they have a Chicago skyline to Sears. I don't think such a lawsuit would ever get to trail...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Minion

^^ Exactly, I don't see how anyone can copyright a building....if someone sells a postcard of (the real) Hollywood Blvd, and the Chinese Theater is visible, would they have to pay royalties to the theater owner? How many books on New York have Empire State or Chrysler Bldg on the cover...privately owned buildings? Etc Etc. I don't see where the legal precedent for copyrighting architecture comes from...and that's what makes me think all these stories of copyright violations are internet legends. I think the Hat has hung around for the same reason the Wand hung around for so long...Disney doesn't want to spend the money and effort necessary to bring it down.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by ti2gr View Post
    The Hat was originally built in celebration of Walt Disney's 100th Birthday. I was the main icon for that years celebration. Originally it was to be temporary and then be dismantled after the celebration. During the planning stages though things changed. The Chinese Theater was sold to a new company and they wanted Disney to pay them royalties for the image of their theater in the Florida park.

Aside from the fact that the Disney version is/was much cleaner and mre apealing than the California original. It was also at this time that they threatened to bring a lawsuit against Disney for doing the daily or weekly handprint ceremonies in front of the theater. In case you haven't noticed, there has been no new hand/foot prints put in for a long time.

During the planning stage it was deemed necessary to hide the theater rather than tear it down. Even the parks photographers are forbidden to take a picture of it no matter how much a guest requests it.
    From what I've heard from informed sources the above is merely urban legend.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ^^ Exactly, I don't see how anyone can copyright a building....if someone sells a postcard of (the real) Hollywood Blvd, and the Chinese Theater is visible, would they have to pay royalties to the theater owner? How many books on New York have Empire State or Chrysler Bldg on the cover...privately owned buildings? Etc Etc. I don't see where the legal precedent for copyrighting architecture comes from...and that's what makes me think all these stories of copyright violations are internet legends. I think the Hat has hung around for the same reason the Wand hung around for so long...Disney doesn't want to spend the money and effort necessary to bring it down.
    I agree, and the fact that it would close down the central "hub" there when they do it and I think they need the open space for the current parade or the new HSM3 float after they remove the 2 and bolt on a 3...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

As others have said, I don't have a problem with the hat itself - it's actually a pretty cool construct. But the placement is completely wrong. A wikipedia article agreed that the hat was placed there due to a licensing dispute with the current owners (which includes Warner Brothers). I wish there was a solution, as I agree that it completely ruins the lines and theming of Hollywood Blvd. Move the hat out to the entrance, or to the entrance to the Fantasmic! theater where it would make more thematic sense.

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

Why is the thing around still anyway? I perceive it to be an eyesore just because it blocks the Great Movie Ride's facade... One of my fav rides in all of WDW...
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

• MiceChat Approved Travel Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    i don't mind the hat. i despise it's location! why would you block the theater like that?
    I totally agree. The hats fine it's the location that is horrible. Why they built it to block the theater is beyond me. It kind of just sits there in the middle of nowhere.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsy1052 View Post
    I totally agree. The hats fine it's the location that is horrible. Why they built it to block the theater is beyond me. It kind of just sits there in the middle of nowhere.
    If you read the messages above, it does appear to be a legal situation, with the current owners of the real theater objecting to Disney's continued use of its likeness as a centerpiece. Now, this may prove to be true or untrue, but it's really the only reason that makes any sense.

• Minion

I think the kid that tried to stomp the squirrel in the other thread should be made giant size and allowed to stomp the hat.

• Geoff London

jordan_edge - you said it in your opening post;

" It is a bit of an eyesore that blocks a wonderful view of the Chinese Theatre."

I times that by 1 million.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    If you read the messages above, it does appear to be a legal situation, with the current owners of the real theater objecting to Disney's continued use of its likeness as a centerpiece. Now, this may prove to be true or untrue, but it's really the only reason that makes any sense.
    Maybe it's true...but how about the other reason I suggested...which is the same reason as why the Wand was around for seven odd years...which is that Disney is being hesitant at the cost and hastle necessary to dismantle and / or move it. Plus the opposition to the Hat hasn't been as clear cut as that to the Wand, making them more smug in procrastination. Some internet sites are saying that a long overdue refurb of the GMR is on the way in the next few years...who knows, maybe that could give them some incentive.

While some consider the Earfel Tower to have been the original icon, for me it was always the Chinese Theater. I was just watching a video of Sorcery in the Sky the other day...anyone who hasn't seen it should check the (however fuzzy) Youtube clips and see the theater shine in its old glory.
    Last edited by tasman; 09-24-2008 at 06:05 PM.
    Down with the Hat

OK, from what I have been told, the reason the Hat is where it's at is b/c of the confusion with the icon and the lack of Disney properties in the park. Some people thought the icon was the Chinese Theater, some The Earful Tower, still others thought the Tower of Terror was. Disney decided to make it clear what the icon actually was. Micheal Eisner and crew came up with the great idea of putting a big, huge Sorcerer's Hat at the end of Hollywood Blvd. This solved two problems, it gave the park a central icon to be the major focus of the park. It also gave the park a "Disney" feeling (Star Wars and The Twilight Zone do not scream Mickey Mouse).

The hat is designed to be a permanent structure. Unfortunately, it is not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Minion

^^^ A permanent structure? You mean like Horizons...or Cascade Peak ?

I understand the need for an icon. There are two problems I have with this Hat. First, obviously, is the location. As one of our very own forumers showed with the first pic below (and I keep forgetting who it was)...if the Hat were moved to the front of the park, it could still serve as an icon, and not ruin the view down Hollywood Blvd. This was, in fact, the idea that the imagineers had with Disney-MGM Studios Europe (the unbuilt park)...as shown in the second pic below, looking from outside the park gates. The second problem I have with the Hat is how garish it is. There are several other big Fantasia Hats which populate the Disney universe...but none are quite so tacky (they look instead like the Hat in second picture below). A Hat like that, outside the park gates...I would have no problem with at all. Disney wouldn't even have to photograph the Chinese Theater if there really are any copyright issues. A Hat outside the gates, could be photographed close up, or just looking the other way down Hollywood Boulevard.

Last edited by tasman; 09-25-2008 at 06:42 PM.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ^^^ A permanent structure? You mean like Horizons...or Cascade Peak ?

I understand the need for an icon. There are two problems I have with this Hat. First, obviously, is the location. As one of our very own forumers showed with the first pic below (and I keep forgetting who it was)...if the Hat were moved to the front of the park, it could still serve as an icon, and not ruin the view down Hollywood Blvd. This was, in fact, the idea that the imagineers had with Disney-MGM Studios Europe (the unbuilt park)...as shown in the second pic below, looking from outside the park gates. The second problem I have with the Hat is how garish it is. There are several other big Fantasia Hats which populate the Disney universe...but none are quite so tacky (they look instead like the Hat in second picture below). A Hat like that, outside the park gates...I would have no problem with at all. Disney wouldn't even have to photograph the Chinese Theater if there really are any copyright issues. A Hat outside the gates, could be photographed close up, or just looking the other way down Hollywood Boulevard.
    I only mean you cannot place the Wand and the Hat in the same category. The Wand was indeed intended to only be temporary, the Hat isn't. Unfortunately, it was designed to be there for a looooonnnnggggg time.

BTW, I agree with everything you said. I wish they would've placed it at the entrance b/c it ruins the separation of the two parts of the park (Hollywood and the studio).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    I only mean you cannot place the Wand and the Hat in the same category. The Wand was indeed intended to only be temporary, the Hat isn't. Unfortunately, it was designed to be there for a looooonnnnggggg time.
    Clearly the Hat is more substantial than the Wand...but both were born as tributes to Walt's 100th birthday, so I'm not sure that it was originally intended to be a permanent fixture.
    Down with the Hat

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 09-26-2008, 02:05 PM