• back to WDW in January

A Disney Fairies Walk Through Attraction at WDW ?!

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Tinkerbell and Friends will soon play host to a "walk through" attraction at WDW. I know they are building a full Pixie Hollow area at DL but I thought that the WDW version was simply going to be a meet and greet space at the judges tent in Toontown.
    If anyone knows anything different please feel free to post.
    The complete article is below:

Move over, Cinderella, Snow White and Ariel: The Disney Fairies are on their way.
    Preparing for the Oct. 28 release of a straight-to-DVD animated children's movie about Tinker Bell, Walt Disney World is about to open a walk-through attraction in the Magic Kingdom based on, and featuring, that pixie and four other Disney Fairies characters.
    The Disney Fairies are a new set of characters, developed for books, movies, Internet games and merchandise, that expand the role of the always-popular Tinker Bell. Four DVD movies are in the works. The theme park's Pixie Hollow attraction opens Oct. 24 in Mickey's Toontown Fair.
    "This is a franchise that is soon to be like our princesses franchise," declared Francois Leroux, a vice president of character programs with Walt Disney World Entertainment, who introduced the characters to the media on Wednesday in downtown Orlando.
    More Orlando Sentinel blogs .Search: Theme park attractions injury, illness and death reports The theme-park fairies made their debut as Disney World officials briefed the news media on a broad range of plans and strategies, from minority-owned business contracting to the recently announced "celebrations" campaign in 2009 to a cross-promotion with the Disney-owned ESPN cable-TV network that will result in the renaming of Disney World's athletic complex as the ESPN Wide World of Sports.
    While company officials had cautioned that they had no intention of using the forum to announce a major iconic attraction, the briefing had many close Disney observers wondering when or if the giant resort might unveil plans for new rides in 2009 or beyond. Disney has often used such briefings to announce big new rides, shows, restaurants and hotels.
    Rivals Universal Orlando and SeaWorld Orlando are both building new, signature roller coasters for next summer, and the following year Universal is opening the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, one of the most highly anticipated theme-park attractions in the world.
    "This is the first time in our 15 years of covering the Walt Disney World scene that there isn't a single announced new attraction for any of the four parks," Simon Veness, co-author with his wife, Susan Veness, of the Brit Guide to Orlando & Walt Disney World, wrote in an e-mail.
    In February, Disney announced a new game-show venue: a theme-park version of the hit Fox TV show American Idol. But that show initially was to open late this year; Disney now says it's likely to open early next. Disney has not announced any iconic attractions to follow that.
    "It's also unusual given that Universal is coming out with both barrels blazing in the next couple of years," said Robert Niles editor of the blog Theme Park Insider.
    In addition to Pixie Hollow and the American Idol Experience, upcoming attractions include new street parties; a new technology-based game tied to the Disney animated TV show Kim Possible; a big family restaurant in Downtown Disney called T-Rex; and other dining and entertainment expansions in Downtown Disney. This past summer, the company opened a major new ride called Toy Story Midway Mania, Disney World spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said.
    "We continue to grow in traditional and nontraditional ways," Polak said. "We are going to continue to focus on delivering experiences that only Disney can provide."
    John Frost, editor of The Disney Blog, a popular Internet source of news and commentary, considers 2009 "essentially a planned off year for Disney."
    "With just American Idol opening next year, Walt Disney World is really relying a lot on this year's crop of new attractions. Toy Story Midway Mania is great, and they probably haven't gotten all the yardage they can out of that as far as attracting new guests," Frost said. "The Pixie Hollow Disney Fairies experience isn't an attendance driver, except for a very small target market."
    John Gerner, a theme-park industry analyst with Leisure Business Advisers of Virginia, said Disney World is in a position where it does not have to add major rides all the time.
    "As a strategy, one thing you don't necessarily try to do is expand the same year your competition does. It doesn't tend to serve either player," Gerner said. "The fact that Universal is putting in the big Potter area may have Disney saying, 'Let's pause and see what happens, and then we'll follow up.' "
    To capitalize on both ESPN's popularity and the existing Disney's Wide World of Sports brand, Disney will rename its athletic complex ESPN Wide World of Sports.
    "You really want to focus on your equities. One equity is ESPN. The other one is the fact that over the last 12 years we have built an enormous amount of equity behind the Wide World of Sports brand," said Ken Potrock, senior vice president for sports enterprises. "Not necessarily the ABC-Jim McKay brand, but the Wide World of Sports the Complex brand."
    Source: Orlando Sentinel

• Banned User

Re: A Disney Fairies Walk Through Attraction at WDW ?!

This smells of being a publicity stunt to sell the upcoming Tink film, as opposed to a real attraction for WDW. In this day and age, this seems to be the best they can do at WDW? Especially when the prices go up and the competition out there is fierce. I much rather go ride the new coasters at Sea World and Universal. Honestly!
    Also note, this "attraction" is opening in the most decripit area of the MK. Why not bulldoze Toon town fair and build a real Toontown?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Why not bulldoze Toon town fair and build a real Toontown?
    You forget who we're talking about here.

• Banned User

Trust me, I have not forgotten. Reason why I ask the question and many similar ones over and over and over...

• Minion

ORWEN: Us Cauldron girls were in the Toon Town Faire Tent a couple of weekends ago with some friends who wanted pictures of the princesses and we noticed some construction going on in the line right next to us so we started guessing, even then, that it must have something to do with fairies.

ORGOCH: Yeah an' soon as somebody overheard us talkin' 'bout it all, a couple a guys got 'emselves all excited over it an' started squealin' like a bunch a little pigs!

• Banned User

This really isn't supposed to be an attraction. It's just a meet 'n greet.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    This really isn't supposed to be an attraction. It's just a meet 'n greet.
    Even worst. Don't you think? ..and then you wonder why I bash WDW when is due.

• Banned User

Even worst. Don't you think? ..and then you wonder why I bash WDW when is due.
    Not everything is & has to be a full blown out attraction though. I mean would you expect an attraction from these 4 other Fairies? And Tink already has an attraction of sorts in Peter Pan's Flight.

• Banned User

Besides, the characters aren't big enough to deserve an attraction yet.

At least WDW didn't close a nice, quiet area of the park to put in this Pixie Hollow area.

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

See but I think the issue comes when Disney starts billing things as attractions that really aren't. To us savvy Disney-nerds (and I do mean that with the utmost love) we understand they mean Meet & Greet. To the average tourist attraction means ride which means gettin in a car and going thru scenes or the like. When you just walk thru an area and get to meet some fairies you've barely heard of, I dunno, I'd be mad.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

It's somewhat of a walkthrough. Not in the true sense though. Its a detailed queue area and meet and greet. The room itself is amazing though, very surreal and beautyfully detailed. The backdrops, the trees, even the doors into the room are beautifully painted.

• Banned User

Where exactly in Toontown are they putting this?

Quote Originally Posted by GRD999 View Post
    It's somewhat of a walkthrough. Not in the true sense though. Its a detailed queue area and meet and greet. The room itself is amazing though, very surreal and beautyfully detailed. The backdrops, the trees, even the doors into the room are beautifully painted.
    Have you seen it or something?

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

It's inside of the Hall of Fame inside of County Bounty. Its the room where the Disney Pals used to be.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    Not everything is & has to be a full blown out attraction though.
    Nor does everything have to tie in with a product you are trying to sell.

I rather have a full-blown-out ride attraction that isn't trying to shove any kind of merch down my gullet unless I'm willing to buy it. Case and point: Sinbad's Storybook Voyage. No marketing ploy, excellently executed ride, and yet I want a Chaduu plushie so bad after seeing the ride! Oh wait, they just happen to sell those at the gift shop I'm exiting out of!

Again, I'd rather have that.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Minion

Why not bulldoze Toon town fair and build a real Toontown?
    I'm all for bulldozing ToonTown Fair but I'd rather see a proper ToonTown built at DHS...I think, thematically, that's where it best belongs. I would love to see it built where the Roger Rabbit area was orignally supposed to be next to Tower of Terror. Unfortunately half that land is currently occupied by the very popular but minimally detailed and thematically tenuous Rock N Roller Coaster. DHS doesn't have a proper area dedicated to rides for little ones (the only play area being the HISTK area shoe-horned into the New-York sets) so this would also fill an existing void.

I'd take the land for the current ToonTown Fair area and use it as an expansion for Fantasyland. MK doesn't have a Storybookland or Casey Jr and this land would do just nicely for those attractions...which though nothing spectacular, nonetheless would add depth and vibrancy to Fantasyland. In all fairness to ToonTown Fair it was never intended to be a permanent attraction...it was a place celebrate Mickey's 50th and as a temporary attraction was actually pretty nice, and partially served as inspiration for the full-blown ToonTowns in Anaheim and Tokyo. Unfortunately Disney decided to lower the caliber of their permanent attractions to those of their temporary ones, and some of their "temporary" attractions (Camp Minnie-Mickey...cough...cough) became permanent. If Orlando's Pixie Hollow is the same quality as Pooh's Playful Spot I hope it doesn't also become a permanent fixture...otherwise Fantasyland will start to get littered with these cheap little nooks. For now though I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Last edited by tasman; 09-29-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Down with the Hat