• Geoff London

WDW really aiming at U K market ?

It would seem that Disney are setting out to attract more U K visitors to Walt Disney World with some inviting offers. Emails are be sent out to those registered with the company (via the U K site) offering 14 day Premium * tickets for the price of 7 (includes park hopping, water parks etc.) free dining plans and up to 44% off a resort package if you book at Old Key West or Saratoga Springs Spa and Resort. There are some date restrictions. This is the email I received this morning:

NOTE: This offer is only available to residents of United Kingdom and is made by Waly Disney Travel Company.

There's also a TV campaign running endlessly on U K television right now. Is the Mouse getting desperate about attracting customers from Great Britain? Given the cost of air fares right now, if they could provide some cheap air deal on top of what they are already offering it may persuade more British visitors. With $1.87 to 1 it is sure a good to time to see the parks.

(* "Premium" tickets are designed specifically for the U K market. They can only be ordered by a U K resident using a U K registered credit card and will only be mailed to a U K address)
    Last edited by geoffa; 09-29-2008 at 06:40 AM.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Too far from Disney World

Re: WDW really aiming at U K market ?

It might also be because there's more money in foreign markets right now than here in the USA
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Banned User

Well the world markets are crashing so nobody has the money to come down to the parks tahts why there giving all these attractive rates and deals. Foreign markets are being also being hit by America's recession.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Well the world markets are crashing so nobody has the money to come down to the parks tahts why there giving all these attractive rates and deals. Foreign markets are being also being hit by America's recession.
    You are right on. We have had another bank crash here -Bradford & Bingley - they were offering mortgages based on "make up a lie about what you earn - we won't check - and you get the mortgage amount you want"! Ludicrous. The savings side has been bought by the Spanish group - Santander. The mortgage side is being bailed out by us the taxpayers! Just like the USA.

As I said the main crippling factor for Brits are the air fares. I won't travel coachclass - not for 9 hours plus, so I'm looking at $1,000 (per person)for a return trip. There was a time not too long ago when it was $400.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• When Will It Return?

With the MYW ticket system being what it is, having a 14-day pass for the price of a 7-day pass isn't much of a discount at all.

Free dining plan is nice, except that it doesn't include tax & tip, or anything not included in that labrynith of a schedule.

44% off deal sounds like it's mostly targeting normal off-season lull period of the calendar.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Little Miss Sunshine

Disney has long been trying to attract the UK crowd. Your pound is worth quite a bit more than our dollar, and you get a lot more vacation time than we do (and often trips to Florida are 3+ weeks).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

its funny to see in London that there is 2 Disney Markets . Walt Disney World and Disneyland Paris with the Eurostar . London is only 2 hours away from DLP . But the USD are still weak to book a flight and Disney Package and that aldo includes the Heat and Humidty during the winter while its freezing here .

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FantasticDuck View Post
    It might also be because there's more money in foreign markets right now than here in the USA
    Actually, the fact is.. the pounds are clobbering the Dollar's value. It is extremely cheap for the UK tourists to visit the USA right now.. and more than anything, THAT is the allure WDW is banking on. Certainly it isn't quality since DLP clobbers the MK in that department.

Besides the months of brazilian tour groups, the majority of the foreigners I met while working at WDW were from the UK. Multiple families gave me the same line as to why they came here. It is cheaper to travel from the UK and go to WDW than it is to go from the UK to DLRP.

• Defying gravity

I didn't even know there were 14-day tickets! It seems that at that point it's cheaper just to get an AP. I believe the max amount of days in the U.S. is 10.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    I didn't even know there were 14-day tickets! It seems that at that point it's cheaper just to get an AP. I believe the max amount of days in the U.S. is 10.
    In the UK, there was a 3 week pass that worked like a premium pass. I am not sure if it's something that is still offered. (I am thinking it was called a World pass).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    In the UK, there was a 3 week pass that worked like a premium pass. I am not sure if it's something that is still offered. (I am thinking it was called a World pass).
    This pass was sold in france too but only thru a travel agent . WDW had remodeled the offer because of their ''Magic in your Way '' Tickets .

• Disneyholic

Actually, the fact is.. the pounds are clobbering the Dollar's value. It is extremely cheap for the UK tourists to visit the USA right now.. and more than anything, THAT is the allure WDW is banking on. Certainly it isn't quality since DLP clobbers the MK in that department.
    Right on the Money,(sorry could not resist!) most of the folks we met last week at WDW seemed to be from the UK or the states bordering Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    The Max is 10 for the US with the pass expiring 13 days after first use unless you buy the no-expiration option... Technically you can get 20 with the Water parks and more plus no expiration and use 10 days in the water parks/DQ/Golf and 10 days in the parks. I don't recommend doing it that way but you could... AP is often a much better option for folks wanting to stay longer than 13 days plus you have some other benifits associated with it.

The 13 day limit is based on the US standard of 2 weeks vacation/year, in EMEA (Europe) most countries have a lot more mandatory holidays and strong labor unions (aka Works Councils) than we have in the US. It's not unheard of for someone to take a month or two off to travel.

I once worked with a lady in the UK who literally had 6 months of leave stored up and had to take time off or loose it, to the point of only working every other week or so... It was a running joke where we asked her what days she was actually working as they where fewer than when she was off.

Such a thing is practically unheard of here in the US, many companies are doing away with paid vacations via "hour banks" and the like, not to mention paid overtime etc. As almost anyone in IT will tell you, you just don't get overtime, you may have to work 60-80 hours a week or more just to keep your job from being shipped overseas, your lucky if you even get free coffee these days...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...