Question Food allergies and eating at the park

Food allergies
    I'll be at WDW this Oct. with my mom. She is allergic to shrimp. She can't even have French fries that have been cooked in the same oil as shrimp. So we try and avoid places that serve shrimp, or ones that are not careful with food preparations. We always check with the waiter, and some times the chef, most places are pretty good about it.
    I don't know much about any of the restaurants in WDW, other then there seem to be a lot. I was wondering if anyone knew of a restaurant that doesn't serve shrimp. Or a place I can go to, or call, before we get there for information.

~Thanks

• Banned User

Re: Food allergies and eating at the park

this site tells you what to do for food alergys
    Dining with Food Allergies at Walt Disney World

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If you have any food allergies, tell your server and they'll bring the chef out so you can discuss your options and they'll prepare a meal to accommodate.

• Shablagoo!

My neighbor has a laminated card that she made that lists her food allergies. She will send it back with the waiter to give to the chef. Quite often she gets compliments for it.

• Why can't you tune a fish

As others have said, mention the allergies and they will be more than happy to help you. In fact, mention them when you make the ADR's

However, what "restaruant" is cooking fries in oil that has fried fish. Fries only -> other non-fish -> fish

Otherwise your fries pick up the flavor of whatever you have been frying.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    If you have any food allergies, tell your server and they'll bring the chef out so you can discuss your options and they'll prepare a meal to accommodate.
    This is especially useful to do when the chef is a handsome stud. Never fails me when I pull this stunt.

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

i have a shellfish allergy and so does my mom and, of the countless times we've eaten in disney restaurants, we've only ever had one problem. we went to the restaurant in the china pavilion and my mother ordered general tso's chicken...ate some...and found out it was fried in the same frier as the shrimp...so your french fry fears are totally warranted! the chef at 'ohana came out and spoke to us on our trip last month and told us that they have the kitchen utensils/cutting boards color coded and that shellfish is kept separated. my advice: carry your epi-pen/other medicines, mention your allergy when you make your reservation, when you arrive at the podium, and to your server, and relax and have a great time!

• Too far from Disney World

The last two trips we've been on ALL of the restaurants we've eaten at have been great with my food allergies! I'm allergic to ginger and of all things, blue food dye and caramel (burned sugar?! who'd have known!).

Tell them when you make reservations and when you get there. I know at O'hana and Le Cellier they stamped our ticket with a special stamp and the chef comes out and tells you what you what to avoid and they will make you a special meal if need be. They never acted like it was any hassel to them or anything.

At counter service DON'T be afraid to ask. Tell them you have an allergy and need to know for your own safety. Many times if the person ringing us up didn't know they would go and find the manager on duty or someone from the kitchen and ask about the items in question for us.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Luckily I don't have any food allergies, but back in August when I was having dinner at Kona Cafe, I noticed the table across from me had someone in their party that did and the head chef came out to discuss things with them and then later came back out to make sure the food was ok for them.

• Former CM

My son has food allergies too. We didn't have any problems on our last trip. At table service resturants tell the person at the podium and/or server that you need to talk to the chef about the allergies. We got to meet quite a few chef's last time and they were quite happy to make my son his own plate which always had way too much food. He was 2 1/2 at the time and getting bigger plates then any adult.

• Disneyholic

I'll echo the others here, I have a minor food allergy as well as being a diabetic and in terms of the table service meals at WDW this is generally not a problem as long as you do the following:

• Mention the alergy to your travel agent or the Disney reservation cast member so it's noted in your reservation.
    • Mention it again at the podium.
    • And yet again to your server if they don't bring it up.

The chef will come out and discuss your dietary needs with you, and they generally make any substitutions to the meals free of charge and are very understanding and from my experience quite knowledgeable about a variety of food allergies and special dietary needs.

Counter service is a bit more dicey, especially in the MK where several of the restaurants share kitchens located below the park and the food service personnel may not be in a position to accommodate special needs especially during peak times. The only shrimp in the MK that I am aware of is in the egg rolls at the Adventureland egg roll cart so I think you should be ok but I don't know where they deep fry them (does anyone know?) so I would definitely ask. In Epcot be wary of the Sunshine terrace (due to the Asian food offerings) in the land as well as the conter service eateries in the Japan and China Pavilions as both have shrimp in whole or in part in thier food options, I think you should be ok otherwise but always ask.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...