Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Mouse at work

Teenagers and Disney

I am 15 years old (almost 16) and I love Disney. I always have. I also love star wars and know EVERYTHING about star wars. I have liked Disney since my first visit when I was 2 years old. I kinda fell out of Disney after my 2002 winter trip. But since last year, I've been getting back into Disney more and more. My whole family and everyone I know thinks that something is wrong with me for still liking Disney and think I 'm very childish and immature for liking it. My parents are also trying to prevent me from going to Disney. In addition to being an actor, I want to be like Walt Disney and George Lucas and I want to one day restore DisneyWorld and Disneyland to all its former glory. Now on to my question: Has anything like what I just described happened to any of you guys? And what are your thought on this?

• lurker

Re: Teenagers and Disney

im 15 as well, and ADOOREEEE everything disney.
    my friends think its sort of childish but my parents like that i still love disneyland, thoughh they do get tired of m talking about it. it great that you want to "restore" disneyland. (:

welcome to micechat!!!

• Banned User

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you don't have more support from your friends and family. I grew up in SoCal so my aunt took me to DL quite often until I moved when I was 14. I was then "Disneyless" until last month when I took my wife and kids to WDW. My wife thought I was crazy because all I could talk about was our upcoming trip.

Then we went and now I think she's a bigger fanatic than I am, if that's even possible.

Anyways, please stick with your dreams and hopes and I wish you the best of luck.

• Killer of Threads

It's sad, but it's always been kind of hip to pick on Disney.

Anyway, I was your age the last time I visited the parks, and I have to admit I was not particularly excited to learn that we'd be going - at first. Once we got there, I was a kid again, and unashamedly so.

The year was 1991, and popular attitudes toward Star Wars were actually rather similar to those of today - fondly looked upon by most, but generally considered to be yesterday's news. That is, except for to a small but loyal faction of die-hards like myself, who obsessed over anything Star Wars. At that point, it had been 8 years since Return of the Jedi came out, and the Phantom Menace wouldn't be coming out for another 8 years or so. Merchandise for the franchise was nonexistant, so if you wanted to buy any sort of SW stuff, you'd have to shell out at the local comic book store, or mail-order catalog. Oh, the dreadful days before eBay!

That being said, I can imagine that your reaction to Star Tours was quite similar to mine. The ride wasn't perfect, but hey - it was Star Wars, and hearing those familiar sound effects and music was good enough.

And then there's the gift shop, chock-full of brand-new and hitherto unseen Star Wars merchandise! It was like I'd died and gone to Dork Heaven.

As for your dream, don't let ANYONE put a damper on you. The only differences between "normal folks" and people like Lucas and even Walt himself are A) creativity, and B) the would not let anyone compromise their dreams and visions.

Don't let ANYONE belittle your dreams. Self-doubt has ruined many an unknown genius.

• Mouse at work

So, thanks for telling me this stuff. Feel free to say whatever else.

• Indiana Scott

There's nothing wrong with you and happily, your not alone.
    I didn't acquire my great passion for Disney until I was in my late thirty's (now 47) and I'm sure I have family and friends that don't understand. But hey, as long as we're happy who cares what they think!

• May the F=ma be with you

I'm 18 and I have taken heat from my parents ever since I began gaining interest in Disney about 3 years ago or so. My dad is more tolerant about it because I am much more interested in the technical aspect of the parks than anything else. I wouldn't be able to name 20 characters even if you gave me 19.

My mom went as far as telling my aunt and cousins that she was ashamed of my hobby. It turned out the my aunt and cousins are as interested in Disney as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• future rockstar/imagineer

im 15 and im totally OBSESSED!!!
    all my family loves that i like disney so much!

• Hurry Baaaaaaaack!

i'm 20 and i've always been a huge disney lover. my family thinks nothing of it but some of my friends think it's totally nuts. i have little mermaid posters and haunted mansion gear in my dorm room and people always ask about it. i think you just have to be confident in yourself and proud of your interests! disney is great and, hey, you could be interested in far worse things!

• Banned User

My entire Middle School and High School life so far has involved how Disney is considered "Childish" and "Kiddie". I've had a few wonderful breakdowns. I've been called "Gay" and "Retarded" multiple times. And I even had to change schools when it got bad. To them, Disney is not Mickey or Walt. It's Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers. And that is a tragedy. I honestly think most of them have either never been to Disneyland or watched anything Disney-related, or they grew up way too fast. I can't wait to go to the High School reunion and see how far they've gone compared to myself.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by firebolt413 View Post
    I am 15 years old (almost 16) and I love Disney. I always have. I also love star wars and know EVERYTHING about star wars. I have liked Disney since my first visit when I was 2 years old. I kinda fell out of Disney after my 2002 winter trip. But since last year, I've been getting back into Disney more and more. My whole family and everyone I know thinks that something is wrong with me for still liking Disney and think I 'm very childish and immature for liking it. My parents are also trying to prevent me from going to Disney. In addition to being an actor, I want to be like Walt Disney and George Lucas and I want to one day restore DisneyWorld and Disneyland to all its former glory. Now on to my question: Has anything like what I just described happened to any of you guys? And what are your thought on this?
    Unfortunatley certain adults expect you to act a certain way and do certain things at a particular age' which is a concept I hate. Many people are real ignorant these days.

• Mouse at work

haha. I know what you mean stitchon. Thats been happening to me all my life since I was in 3rd grade. I have noo idea why it started in 3rd grade, but it did. It pisses the crap out of me. I've probably changed school like 5 or 6 times and being called a retard and being called gay is one of the main reasons for switching so many times. Thats why i like to have only a few really good friends who like me for who i am. And no offense to the jonas brothers or anything, but they have ruined Disney. Miley cyrus is still pretty talented. And the jonas brothers were staying in the Trump tower hotel when i was in august so i got to meet them and talk to them and stuff. And they are really nice and talented people too, but because of Disney, they have grown up way too fast. But people Cole and Dylan Sprouse have actually made Disney better because they are really talented and they haven't gone off and done something stupid or acted like divas lol. I like Disney Channel mostly, but I'd prefer Mickey Mouse over today's Disney Channel any day.

• Banned User

Well, i'm not saying they ruined Disney Channel. I just think they should rename the channel to ABC Kids or something, because there is nothing Disney about it, minus the logo shape.

• Member of Baxter's Army

To be honest it really isn't the Disney Channel anymore.

• Hello Dolly.

Im going to be 17 in Feb. and my parents think its cool that im obssesed with Disney, as well as themeparks and coasters. Disney is for every1 no matter the age. Maybe people who tell you to stop liking Disney are just grumpy and need to go 2 Disneyland to feel more Kiddish again.
    But thats why Micechat is here you have support of us Disney fans! And Welcome to Micechat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast