Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Sock Puppet

disney's hollywood studios or universal islands of adventure?

Which one is better universal studio's islands of adventure or disney's hollywood studio?

• Shablagoo!

Re: disney's hollywood studios or universal islands of adventure?

Universal's Islands of Adventure

• Banned User

Universal's Islands of Adventures by far. Of course.. that may not be the case for you if you are not into coasters and unique rides.. and while IOA is a very nicely themed park, it is still not Disney and it may disappoint here or there, but overall.. it's a much better park over DHS and a favorite of the West Coast Micechatters... who are very discriminating people.

• Fastest Man Alive

Yup. Even as someone who worked at DHS, 'Islands of Adventure' is superior. IOA is also superior to Universal Studios in Florida too, IMHO. Amazing theming and top notch attractions (especially the Amazing Spiderman) seal the deal.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    IOA is also superior to Universal Studios in Florida too, IMHO. Amazing theming and top notch attractions (especially the Amazing Spiderman) seal the deal.
    Agreed. IOA *is* better than the USF park.. simply because universal Studios Japan (which also features Spiderman and Jurassic Park- two of IOA's biggest rides) is the best of the "studio" parks from Universal. but that's in Osaka JP.

It really depends on you. IOA has better rides and thrills, but DHS has better shows and Tower.

If I was forced to choose one to spend a day in without park hopping, IOA wins. If I'm allowed to park hop, DHS wins. I'd spend the morning at DHS before heading to EPCOT or MK.
    Last edited by Krankenstein; 10-08-2008 at 06:53 PM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Definitely Islands of Adventure. I've only been a couple times, but I am dying to go back.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Disney's Hollywood Studios. The Disney Parks are always the best.

• Seasick

Islands of Adventure, but it's close.

DHS has a few spectacular attractions, but IOA has phenomenal theming and amazing attractions in its own right. I think if Spider-Man was taken out, DHS would win out however.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

I haven't been to IOA...and one of the reasons is that minimally themed rides don't inspire me to make a long distance trip. The two coasters and the water rides in the Toon area are rather minimally themed. The only ride that really interests me is Spider Man, which by all accounts is the best simulator ride in the world. Besides that, the only element of the park which seriously interests me is the theming of the Lost Continent section, which is top notch (as one with some back issues, I am interested but hesitant about the Jurassic Park ride, which I hear has a very rough landing). However, parts of Lost Continent have been torn down and other parts boarded up as the Harry Potter area is constructed. So for the time being the only thing that truly interests me at IOA is Spider Man...and that has meant me not visiting so far, though my first trip there is coming up soon enough.

So from my point of view, although DHS has some serious flaws, it still has a better assortment of rides, shows, theming, and streetmosphere. In the end it depends on what interests you the most.
    Down with the Hat

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    I haven't been to IOA...and one of the reasons is that minimally themed rides don't inspire me to make a long distance trip. The two coasters and the water rides in the Toon area are rather minimally themed. The only ride that really interests me is Spider Man, which by all accounts is the best simulator ride in the world. Besides that, the only element of the park which seriously interests me is the theming of the Lost Continent section, which is top notch (as one with some back issues, I am interested but hesitant about the Jurassic Park ride, which I hear has a very rough landing). However, parts of Lost Continent have been torn down and other parts boarded up as the Harry Potter area is constructed. So for the time being the only thing that truly interests me at IOA is Spider Man...and that has meant me not visiting so far, though my first trip there is coming up soon enough.

So from my point of view, although DHS has some serious flaws, it still has a better assortment of rides, shows, theming, and streetmosphere. In the end it depends on what interests you the most.
    ummm.... hmmmm Well first off let me answer the thread question.

Islands of Adventure by a LONG SHOT! I love DHS mind you, but there is no comparission from restaurants (Mythos) to the complete experience!

The 2 water rides are VERY well themed! The queue to Dudley Due Right's Ripsaw Falls is great, and full of eye candy, and the ride (when working with all of the water effects) is very well themed, and keeps you engaged in the chase story! Popeys is also VERY well themed with all of the sight lines keeping you ''in the ride!'' It is much better themed than Kali River Rapids, or Grizzly River Run, and not to mention it is much longer, and more exciting!

Even the C Tickets are amazingly themed at IOA! Dr. Doom's Fear Fall is just like Maliboomer, but the IOA difference is that they have a Villians Alley that leads to the attraction, then the queue buidling is hyper themed to Dr. Doom, with a great video and explaination to why you are being launched in the tower, and the story follows you all the way to the ride exit!

The queue to Dueling Dragons is amazing, and is probably the BEST themed queue in Orlando (the only other queue that I can think would be better is Indy at DL)!

Not sure about the rough landing on JP, but that has never been my experience, but even if that isn't your thing you should go over to Camp Jurrassic Park, where you can experience an amazing interactive playground (think modern day Tom Sawyer's Island) where you can explore jurrassic park! It is amazing and interactive!

Then the shows are pretty good too! I personally am a fan of Sinbad's 8th Voyage. Mind you it is'nt Festival of the Lion King, but it is a great action adventure stunt show! But Posideons Fury is amazing, and full of eye candy, and effects that will leave you smiling and scratching your head!

Then Suess Landing is just a treat for the senses! From the great dark ride Cat in the Hat, to the High in the Sky Suess Trolly Train Ride, where you get great views of IOA and Suess Landing, along with a great themed story of the Sneetches IOA is a hard park to beat!

Then last there is Spiderman which in my mind is the greatest ride on the planet as of right now!

IOA does have some room for improvement, and a lot of that will be adressed with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. But personally if you take IOA alone and DHS alone there really is no competition (sadly)!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Blog Entries

Sure some of the rides in Marvel Superhero Island are minimally themed (Hulk and Dr. Doom for example) but you can't say that for the rest of the park. Seuss Island is amazing if you're into Seuss things. Even the queue rails and trees are all twisted just like they are in the book. There's not a straight line in the whole area. Lost Continent used to be amazing until they tore down half of it to bring in HP, but I don't guess its really fair to judge that area until we get the HP stuff. I will very much miss the big tree restaurant that used to be there.

The only problem with Jurassic Park is that there's only one real ride. If it had a second real ride (Pteranadon Flyers doesn't count with its ridiculously low throughput) then it might be one of the best lands anywhere. The drop on JP is no more rough than any water flume drop and when all the effects are actually working, it is an amazingly designed ride. I will admit that my last two times there many of the effects were broken or out of sync which kind of dulls the experience.

I also don't see how you can say that the water rides in Toon Lagoon are minimally themed. The animatronics in Dudley may not be as good as those in Splash Mountain and there's not as long of an indoor section per se, but overall I think its a more enjoyable experience by far. The queue is much better than Splash which bores me to tears. Popeye is fantastic as a river rapid ride, probably the best I've ever ridden.

That leaves just Marvel. I'm not crazy about the theming on this island, but it does have some of the best rides in the park with Spider Man (which is super themed all the way through) and Hulk.

I don't understand how people can say IOA is so inferior. Especially if they have never been to the park. It is a marvelously done park with themeing second to none. Sure you have a couple of coasters that are sitting out in the middle of park, but nobody says every coaster has to be in dark building with the lights off to be themed. If you follow the story they are telling, the rides work the way they are.

Universal isn't Disney, but that doesn't mean it is not quality.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I will cast my vote for IOA also. It has better rides. I like DHS, but that Spiderman ride in IOA is terrific
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    I don't understand how people can say IOA is so inferior. Especially if they have never been to the park.
    Strictly an initial impression based on the net and books. I'm just saying which one I would pic, based on my preferences, if I had not been to either (my first trip to DHS was last year, and I chose it over IOA for the reasons mentioned). I am certainly not anti-IOA, and do intend to visit there within the next few months
    Down with the Hat

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast