Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• back to WDW in January

De-Themeing "The American Idol Experience"

A while back I posed a question to see how may folks would actually be going to see 'The American Idol Experience' at Hollywood Studios due to the fact that the shows popularity appeared to be waning.
    (the link to that thread is here Will You Experience 'Amercan Idol' at DHS?)
    It is quite obvious from the construction photos posted thus far that the elaborate plans Disney initially had for this attraction have been substantially retooled. And, at least on the outside, the facade and themeing for this venue is quite a bit different than the original concept art called for. Please note that I am fully aware that concept art is simply that and should not be taken literally. However this particular transformation from concept to reality appears to have changed so dramatically it is rather impossible to ignore.
    So what happened? Was it an economic decision that caused the de-themeing of this highly touted attraction? Could it be that there is no longer as much confidence that this attraction will draw the number of folks they originally expected? Or is it some other reason entirely?
    Whadaya think?

• Minion

Re: De-Themeing "The American Idol Experience"

I am very happy that the new theming was not implemented.

I love DHS' art deco theming and am glad Disney have chosen not to put another blemish on the wonderful theming of 1989-1994 for the sake of an attraction which is at most likely to last a few years before disappearing into irrelevance.
    Down with the Hat

Blog Entries

I read a post either here or on wdwmagic that made a lot of sense regarding this theming. Fox is apparently paying for a great deal of the construction to implement this attraction. The theater needed a ton of remodeling to become ADA compliant. The theater is going to get the major refurb that it needs and most of it is being paid by a third party. So this will run through its contract and then be switched to something else. Disney gets a "free" attraction for a while and a completely remodeled building that hey can then use for something better at a later date.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You still couldn't pay me enough to see it. I hate American Idol with the fire of a thousand suns.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    You still couldn't pay me enough to see it. I hate American Idol with the fire of a thousand suns.

Hee hee!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Too bad it won't be "Borat's making of America Idol for great inspiration for Nation of Glorious Kazakstan!"
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I remember when Drew Carey's thing was there I dreaded it every time I went to the park... finally I went into it and sat down for the show and immediately regretted taking part in it.

I expect to experience the same with this new piece of park crap
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'm still waiting to see what you do like aimster.

I'm in the crowd of, "I don't have an opinion until I experience it." Once that happens then I'll weigh in, I do know that the park needs more, so hopefully this will be a boost in the right direction. Again though, we can't really speculate it will be a failure before it's built.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I'm still waiting to see what you do like aimster.

I'm in the crowd of, "I don't have an opinion until I experience it." Once that happens then I'll weigh in, I do know that the park needs more, so hopefully this will be a boost in the right direction. Again though, we can't really speculate it will be a failure before it's built.
    I 100% agree Summer!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• back to WDW in January

As they say, ask and you shall receive (info that is). According to his most recent article, Jim Hill had this to say:

DHS officials know that they now can't count on out-of-towners and/or overseas tourists to come fill their park. Which means that they now have to do everything they can in order to make Disney's Hollywood Studios seem that much more appealing to locals.
    That's why word has now gone out to get that theme park's "American Idol Experience" attraction open as soon as possible. Which is why the once-incredibly-elaborate rehab plan for the exterior of the old Superstar Television Theater has fallen by the wayside. Where once a huge Jumbotron was supposed to tower over that theme park's central plaza, that screen is now at ground level. Where once an elaborate new entrance was going to be constructed for this DHS theater, now the Guests will enter through a slightly reconfigured version of the old Superstar Television entryway.
    Mind you, that significantly sped-up scenario only works if Disney doesn't hit any huge snags during the final phases of construction and/or if those early test shows of the "American Idol Experience" go extremely well. And from what I hear, the Mouse's marketing department plan would still like to tie the official grand opening of this new DHS attraction to "American Idol" 's season finale. Which isn't supposed to air on Fox 'til May of 2009 ... Disney's had to make some huge adjustments to its initial plans for this new DHS attraction. So that elaborate & expensive lighting package that was originally supposed to give the "American Idol Experience" such a distinctive look? It's been significantly scaled back. Corners are being cut everywhere now so that "AEI" can then be opened as quickly as possible. With the hope that this new attraction will be enough to convince Central Florida residents that they should visit Disney's Hollywood Studios during January, February and March of 2009. Which are currently projected to be incredibly tough months, attendance-wise, for the Walt Disney World Resort.
    Last edited by tjcjr; 10-16-2008 at 11:18 AM.

• back to WDW in January

Ok and now here is the new official Disney Promo for the attraction with a video some different concept art Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I remember when Drew Carey's thing was there I dreaded it every time I went to the park... finally I went into it and sat down for the show and immediately regretted taking part in it.
    The Drew Carey thing "Sounds Dangerous" is still there. I've still never been in it

Blog Entries

The only good thing about Drew Carey was that I had a bit of a headache and was hot. I went inside and had a nice dark cool and quiet room for a while.

• Banned User

I wish the Disney people would get off TV fads like AI as inspirations for new shows at the park. Who wants to go to WDW to hear people screetching their throats out trying to sing?
    Personally, I hope this is a huge failure for Disney but even if it isn't... it will go the same way Millionaire did, so it's a matter of time... In the meantime..I will be riding the new E-Ticket Monsters Inc ride at TDL.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    Too bad it won't be "Borat's making of America Idol for great inspiration for Nation of Glorious Kazakstan!"
    Now THAT would be worth seeing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast