Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Re: Do You Practice Cell Phone Etiquette At WDW? Time You Spend Talking/TMing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    what did we do before cell phones?? my goodness, its not like we carted cell phones and pda's and computers into the park 20 years ago. I believe we did well.
    Mmhmm but the world has changed and how we interact as a society has a direct relation to the availability of immediate communication. In this day and age of PDA's and cell phones it all goes back to personal consideration. If you are in a place where your texting and cell phone usage will be interruptive to others (and I think it's fairly obvious when it would be) then you need to turn it off.

However, if you aren't impacting the personal space of anyone around you then who am I to judge whether or not you get the most out of your vacation or where ever you so happen to be. As long as my day isn't affected I think it's entirely up to you how you spend yours.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Mmhmm but the world has changed and how we interact as a society has a direct relation to the availability of immediate communication. In this day and age of PDA's and cell phones it all goes back to personal consideration. If you are in a place where your texting and cell phone usage will be interruptive to others (and I think it's fairly obvious when it would be) then you need to turn it off.

However, if you aren't impacting the personal space of anyone around you then who am I to judge whether or not you get the most out of your vacation or where ever you so happen to be. As long as my day isn't affected I think it's entirely up to you how you spend yours.
    whos to say how my space is impacted. by listening to your phone conversations and the light on the phone? yeah, if your doing youre buisness fine, but please keep away from me when your hollering in the phone or on a ride with talking or the light on. its anoying to see people doing this. and about times changes etc, yeah the old days people were not as rude.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

whos to say how my space is impacted. by listening to your phone conversations and the light on the phone? yeah, if your doing youre buisness fine, but please keep away from me when your hollering in the phone or on a ride with talking or the light on. its anoying to see people doing this. and about times changes etc, yeah the old days people were not as rude.
    ?? I think you misread everything I just said Karla, I agreed with you, I simply stated my own opinion that I don't care what people do with their own time, as long as they aren't impeding my personal enjoyment.

Arguing that people existed just fine 20 years ago doesn't change the fact that the world is a different place now, ignoring it doesn't make it go away, you should face it head on, incorporate your beliefs and views the best way you know and don't lose yourself along the way. I'm not saying totally conform but not recognizing the majority of change and not trying to find a way to keeps your values present in an ever changing world keeps you from growing and learning to become a better person. Sure there are going to be inconsiderate people in the world, those people existed 20 years ago and longer, it's how you find your niche in this world and keep yourself open to new possibilities that makes you the better person.

I do find it to be disruptive and, on very extreme instances, have asked that someone talk a little softer while I was a guest in the parks.

As a safari driver at AK we had several back-pocket gags ready to go whenever somebody was on the phone in the back of a truck. They usually played on a guests "amazing ability to get a signal way out in the African underbrush. I canb barely get the radio to work."

My all time favorite "CM shushing a guests cell phone conversation" moment was at the Aladdin show in Adventureland. The shows host stopped his monologue, took the guys phone and said "Hello, who is this?" Pause. "Sorry, Jim's not available right now. He's in Agraba. Try again later!"
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• Lookingglassland Resident

Red Face Re: Do You Practice Cell Phone Etiquette At WDW? Time You Spend Talking/TMing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Let's face it, cell phones have become an extension of ourselves. It's convenient to take them along with us wherever we go.

In a similar and recent thread, most people stated that they use their cells minimally, and try not to bother others around them with loud talking. Many MiceChatters text message. Nevertheless, some people will go as far as to talk on their phone while on a ride. I saw somebody at Disneyland recently on the Snow White ride using one. Think they must have been trying to get a hold of the evil queen.

Again, do you practice cell phone etiquette? How much time do you spend talking or text messaging?? Do you notice many if any others using theirs?
    i see it all the time. and people seem so distracted by their very, very important conversation that they are too distracted to steer their strollers away from peoples' ankles.

i was even on a trip to d'land with a friend who spent a good portion of his time talking to people on the phone and completely ignoring the fact that i was there at all.

why go to a disney park and spend all your time addressing things in the "other" world? i understanding wanting to tell somebody about the park right away, due to one's excitement, but seriously...don't take up all the space in the park if you aren't there to enjoy it. and by the way, nobody wants to hear somebody complaining about the park at the top of their lungs via cell.

• Banned User

?? I think you misread everything I just said Karla, I agreed with you, I simply stated my own opinion that I don't care what people do with their own time, as long as they aren't impeding my personal enjoyment.

Arguing that people existed just fine 20 years ago doesn't change the fact that the world is a different place now, ignoring it doesn't make it go away, you should face it head on, incorporate your beliefs and views the best way you know and don't lose yourself along the way. I'm not saying totally conform but not recognizing the majority of change and not trying to find a way to keeps your values present in an ever changing world keeps you from growing and learning to become a better person. Sure there are going to be inconsiderate people in the world, those people existed 20 years ago and longer, it's how you find your niche in this world and keep yourself open to new possibilities that makes you the better person.
    I know I understood it hon, just not at 6:00 this morning. I get what your saying now ( well after coffee and the paper and a good breakfast and my mind is not on here, but a far off place Iwill be at soon !!! Wooooooo hooooooooooo !!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I know I understood it hon, just not at 6:00 this morning. I get what your saying now ( well after coffee and the paper and a good breakfast and my mind is not on here, but a far off place Iwill be at soon !!! Wooooooo hooooooooooo !!
    Good. Now go have some coffee.

• Banned User

Good. Now go have some coffee.
    now I am over coffee'd hugs sweetie, Have a wonderful weekend!!!!

• Minion

At WDW, or any "public" place, like a movie theater, for example, my phone stays put away and OFF unless I absolutely need to use it. If I do have to use it, I will get the heck off the path, out of the way of pedestrian traffic and in a place where I'm not going to bother someone else. Under NO circumstances will I have it on during a ride or show. IMO, it's rude, and there is absolutely no reason to disrupt a ride or show for a phone call.

We have a friend who just loves Splash Mountain, so my husband will always call him while on Splash Mountain just to rub it in! And sometimes he calls him from restaurants, these two have a food obsession and love to tell each other what they are eating while on vacation! Otherwise we don't really use them much in the parks. Never on any dark rides or shows, and never loudly so it disturbs others. And we always keep them on vibrate while at the parks. They have come in handy when we need to make a last minute dining plan etc. I also feel batter having them with us in case one of the kids gets separated from us. They know our numbers and we can be reached instantly if that were to happen.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234