Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Iron-Clad Allie

Do You Practice Cell Phone Etiquette At WDW? Time You Spend Talking/TMing?

Let's face it, cell phones have become an extension of ourselves. It's convenient to take them along with us wherever we go.

In a similar and recent thread, most people stated that they use their cells minimally, and try not to bother others around them with loud talking. Many MiceChatters text message. Nevertheless, some people will go as far as to talk on their phone while on a ride. I saw somebody at Disneyland recently on the Snow White ride using one. Think they must have been trying to get a hold of the evil queen.

Again, do you practice cell phone etiquette? How much time do you spend talking or text messaging?? Do you notice many if any others using theirs?
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• When Will It Return?

Re: Do You Practice Cell Phone Etiquette At WDW? Time You Spend Talking/TMing?

The only time I really notice it is if I'm in a dark room such as Mansion's stretching room when the lights go out. Having a cell phone open displaying it's shining screen to the user is just as much if not more disruptive and inconsiderate as taking a flash picture. In dark environments, it downright ruins it!

I never have my cell phone open when the lights go out because I know when the lights will go out. However, if the lights go out on you by surprise, simply hold the bright screen up against you until the lights go up again. That way you remain considerate to those around you, but also don't lose whatever message you were writing.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Too far from Disney World

My father and i have a running gag with the "It's a Small World" song. We both find it rather annoying and do whatever we can to get it stuck in each other's head. The last two trips my boyfriend and I have gone on we have asked to sit in the back of the boat so I could dial the phone and ask to talk to my dad. Then I hold the phone out so he can hear the song. I'm not really talking on the phone so I'm not disturbing others on the ride (just annoying my father!).

Usually if I have to take or make a call while in the parks I'll step to the side (up against a wall or fence or something) so people can get around me. If I'm in a store then I'll try to get to a place where I'm out of the way so I don't distract others. I try to call to see what gifts my parents and niece would like!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I have to say I've never used a cell phone on an attraction and I just find it rude if you are at the grocery store or going through a drive through, to yap on your cell phone while interacting with the people behind the counter. To me it just gives off that air of you just aren't important enough for me to acknowledge.

Besides that, you really miss out on the attraction because your are so focused on who you're talking to.

I love my cell phone and I've definitely been known to chat and text while waiting in line though, that's a great time waster.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I personally think that people should treat attractions like movie theatre experiences. They are both joint experiences that rely on a common social ettiquete.

I think that Disney should ask that people silence their cell phones as you go into a preshow, and before your ride an attraction.

I will say that I am uber guilty of texting and e-mail checking/sending while I am in a queue, but I will ONLY answer the phone in a queue in a personal or business emergency, at which point I would be walking out of the queue.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by OFTEric View Post
    I personally think that people should treat attractions like movie theatre experiences. They are both joint experiences that rely on a common social ettiquete.
    Absolutely agree.

I think the only "attraction" I've ever used my phone on is probably the Railroad, Peoplemover or Mark Twain at Disneyland. Other than that, don't go there.

I try to practice Cell Phone etiquitte everywhere, I wish other people would too.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    I have to say I've never used a cell phone on an attraction and I just find it rude if you are at the grocery store or going through a drive through, to yap on your cell phone while interacting with the people behind the counter. To me it just gives off that air of you just aren't important enough for me to acknowledge.
    You nailed it. I work in a customer facing role and to be treated as "second fiddle" by someone using a cellphone is not only discourteous - it's downright rude and says a lot about the user. If someone asks me a question whilst conducting a conversation on their phone I answer: "I'll respond when you have finished your call!" If that upsets them - tough!
    As for cell phones on rides - if someone was yacking on one (and ain't they the curse of the age?) I would ask them to desist. If they carried on then they may just find their phone going for its own ride (or swim) depending on the actual ride. It's like those in theatres who don't understand what the word "Off" means. It doesn't mean set to vibrate - it means "Off!"I don't want some glaring light ruining my enjoyment of a show. We survived OK without these intrusive pieces of equipment before they were invented and I amazed anyone can afford to waste call money on them given the financial restraints being placed on us all!

And "common etiquette" like "common sense" is, unfortunately, not very common!
    Last edited by geoffa; 10-16-2008 at 07:51 AM.

For folks riding my attraction (RnRC), cell phones are a danger to themselves and those behind them. I have to tell at least two people per day to get off their phones to pull their harnesses down. We've even had to stop the limos from launching because someone who we told to put down their phone pulled it out again as soon as they were out of the load area.

As a guest, I hate when people talk or text on the ride. I've noticed this again and again and it is the most annoying thing in the world. I also really hate it when people text in a movie theater. It's like, make a decision, did you want to see the movie or text, it's extremely rude to do both!!!!!!!!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• back to WDW in January

To anyone who uses a cell phone while on an attraction :

OMG - what is so bloody important that you can't stay off the phone for the duration of the attraction?!
    What did you used to do before you had a cell phone for Pete's sake?!
    You spend all this money to go to a Disney park to be completely immersed in a unique entertainment experience and you are on the phone?! Really?!
    Are you completely unaware that there are other people around you who have also spent all this money to go to a Disney park to be completely immersed in a unique entertainment experience only to have it ruined by your selfishness and rude behavior?!
    Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!

To the folks at Disney :

Sad to say but I think it's time to physically post some rules regarding cell phones on attractions or add them to the audio spiels - for example the Ghost Host "no flash pictures and no cell phones, please !!"
    Last edited by tjcjr; 10-16-2008 at 09:24 AM.

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Let's face it, cell phones have become an extension of ourselves. It's convenient to take them along with us wherever we go.

In a similar and recent thread, most people stated that they use their cells minimally, and try not to bother others around them with loud talking. Many MiceChatters text message. Nevertheless, some people will go as far as to talk on their phone while on a ride. I saw somebody at Disneyland recently on the Snow White ride using one. Think they must have been trying to get a hold of the evil queen.

Again, do you practice cell phone etiquette? How much time do you spend talking or text messaging?? Do you notice many if any others using theirs?
    I am always on the phone or txting someone... I need something to do while waiting on those crazy long lines...

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by tjcjr View Post
    To anyone who uses a cell phone while on an attraction :

OMG - what is so bloody important that you can't stay off the phone for the duration of the attraction?!
    What did you used to do before you had a cell phone for Pete's sake?!
    You spend all this money to go to a Disney park to be completely immersed in a unique entertainment experience and you are on the phone?! Really?!
    Are you completely unaware that there are other people around you who have also spent all this money to go to a Disney park to be completely immersed in a unique entertainment experience only to have it ruined by your selfishness and rude behavior?!
    Seriously, what is wrong with you people?!

To the folks at Disney :

Sad to say but I think it's time to physically post some rules regarding cell phones on attractions or add them to the audio spiels - for example the Ghost Host "no flash pictures and no cell phones, please !!"
    I'd like to meet the person who actually gets service in some of the rides...

I know I didnt get any service in the Haunted Mansion... but seriously, I have never come across a guest using a cel on the actual ride... sure in the queue, but not on the ride...

• Disappearing/Reappearing

I only used to mine a few times. I text while waiting in lines, took pictures for my backgrounds, took a few videos on it. And once, tried to record the Haunted Mansion's graveyard music......didn't work.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I totally agree with each of those whom have cited that talking and texting are each a rude distraction to the immersive escape that guests pay to experience while riding the rides and enjoying other attractions. They are a further hindrance to attraction cm's that are trying to conduct their jobs and maintain a coordinated order.

I further agree that attractions are no different than movie theaters where the silencing of a cell phone should be encouraged as a common sense courtesy to others. The only exceptions are when a person is waiting in line or when they are on a transportation ride - the railroad, monorail, etc. Even then, one should discontinue cell phone use if someone near them is overtly bothered.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I only used to mine a few times. I text while waiting in lines, took pictures for my backgrounds, took a few videos on it. And once, tried to record the Haunted Mansion's graveyard music......didn't work.
    Hmmm.. Recording attraction music live ..now that is a cool proposition. Guess you would need a better recording instrument in order to get quality sound, Stitchy.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I put my phone on silent when I enter an attraction. I keep it in a holster, so the screen doesn't light up unless I take it out. But once I'm back in the walkways, I turn the ringer back on and I make a few calls and texts throughout the day. I take some photos with the camera on my phone. Back in August I got a great photo of Pluto that I sent to my mom's phone... she uses that pic as her wallpaper now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast