• Having a Grand Day!

Pop Century Phase II

Just a Quick Question from my never ending quest to research everything possible where Walt Disney World is concerned, especialy in my area of interest which is anything but the parks including the Arcitecture and Buildings, can somebody who 'is in the know' give me details on the second phase of the Pop Century, what I want to know:

• What's the Construction up To?
    • When will it open?
    • Will it be a Carbon Copy of Phase 1 infastructure wise, with it's own check in and Food Hall
    • What's the Themeing?

Just curious... It's not my type of resort (Theming is to Garish and I'm a bit spoilt when it comes to luxury) and I think my next Armchair Imagineering proposal (I Have a Portfolio I Must Post Sometime) will the 'The Value Resort With Dignity While Keeping the Design Visualy Interesting'.

Thanks.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Re: Pop Century Phase II

I believe construction is still halted on the Legendary Years Resort, so it has no opening date. It is pretty much an exact replica and will be run as a separate resort with a separate bus system, and I'm not really sure why they have not restarted construction on it since Classic Years is popular with guests. The theme of Legendary Years is 1900-1949, so you can probably figure out the sort of things they will highlight. I like Pop Century...it's certainly better than the All-Stars.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Having a Grand Day!

Halted??

What Happened!!

(More info for my personal WDW Wiki!)

P.S. I don't support the over development of WDW with more and more resorts, and there will be a point where the development comes back to bite them in the but, but I think it's strange for Disney to delay a project like this, especially when I found a photo on Disney Pix (One of My Fav Sites) of a lobby like building and 2 accommodation buildings, half finished.

P.P.S. Yes, the public spaces are a ton better than the All Stars, and of a higher quality of a typical Motel, but still not me.
    Last edited by drnilescrane; 09-06-2005 at 04:34 AM.

I have a feeling it could have been completed a year ago and is purposely being held off to keep the other value resorts full. Same reason they temporarily closed part of Port Orleans a while back.

• The one, the only...

I actually don't believe that they will finish it.

Part of the Pop Century's appeal is the "icons" of those years. It is fun to see thinks that you remember as a kid enlarged to such a size.

Now there are very few people alive now that remember the first fifty years of the last century. I believe that if they built it, the section would not be as popular as the last fifty years.

Perhaps they have already figured that out.

What they need to do is have the "generation gap" be the leap to the new millennium. Then open new sections themed after the future decades. The generation gap would not be between the 20's and the 60's anymore, but now the 60's and 00's of the new millennium. That would keep this resort current.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

The rooms in The Legendary Years were to be basically the same as the Classic Years. The main differences other than the icons for the buildings was the pools would be different. I know one of the pools was supposed to be in the shape of a Coke bottle. Personally I would like to see the Legendary Years buildt, otherwise they should rename the hotel as The Pop Half Century. I understand why construction was halted, but why they have not finished it yet, I don't know. People love the Pop Century Hotel, they must it's filled almost all the time.

I, personally, wish they had never built the place to begin with. Although I love the music and the food court has some tasty items. BTW, a Disney executive told me back in 2003 that Disney wished it hadn't have built it too. Of course, that was when it was sitting by, in mothballs, in the post 9/11/recession travel slowdown.

But Disney has a surplus of rooms. The reason it's so busy is that folks are placed there now when they call Disney for a value room before the All Stars unless they ask for one. Disney would rather put guests at a new resort than one that's 10-years-old and has taken quite a beating like *** or ASM.

That's why Disney hasn't picked up the construction that was halted in 2001 with a lobby/food court/retail and one building of rooms completed for Legendary Years. I sincerely doubt they will for many years. I could even see them using the lobby building for something else and simply bulldozing the one building already up.

^^^I guess I should have written out All Star Sports instead of using its abbreviation!
    ;-)

• Having a Grand Day!

I'll Post The Pics I Found on DisneyPix.com

http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop.../PC1104-40.htm
    http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop.../PC1104-44.htm
    http://www.disneypix.com/Resorts/Pop.../PC1104-45.htm

Its a bit of a weird sight. Also, didn't Disney realise that Popular culture, in the form expressed in the existing resort (The Classic Years), really didn't exist till the 1950's? What were they planning to do? Giant Radio's?

It looks funny seeing three buildings standing there not being used or finished