• Fortuosity!

If Gay Days Had Thier Own After Hours Party?

OK, let's just assume that like Halloween, Christmas and the Pirate and Princess Party, Gay Days had their own after hours events (and don't complain about the prices for them this isn't what this tread is about). What would you want to see at them? What kind of decorations, fireworks, parade etc would you want to see? Would you role out the Princes or Queens and have them in some show in front of the castle? What kind of merchandise would you want sold? Your ideas?
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• The Darkness to Light

Re: If Gay Days Had Thier Own After Hours Party?

I don't think that's what Gay Days is about. It isn't some park party like the ones you described. It's pretty much like a meet-up similar to MiceChat's Gumball Rally and other Disney Park fansite get-togethers.

I mean, if it was going to be an official after-hours party of some kind, you're going to get complaints out the ying-yang by nearly every other special interest group out there. Next thing you know, someone will want a Bat Day where all the goth kids can come out and turn the Magic Kingdom into the Tragic Kingdom, followed closely by the religious community wanting something as well if not a more religious-heavy Christmas to make up for having Disney hold events that are not seen as "family friendly."

And I think I've said enough, so I'll stop and just pipe up when I feel the need to, as I'm sure others will post more intelligent and well-thought-out opinions than I ever could.
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Banned User

gay days already have TWO after hour events. Mighty party and Typhoon Lagoon party of which the name escapes me. They offer what any other regular gay person looks for when they go to WDW: Disney stuff. Yes, they are overpriced and it would be nice if they offered these parties for a smaller nominal fee... but then again, Disney does price the organizers of these events with hefty rates, so they have to collect and make a profit.

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeekSlider View Post
    I don't think that's what Gay Days is about. It isn't some park party like the ones you described. It's pretty much like a meet-up similar to MiceChat's Gumball Rally and other Disney Park fansite get-togethers.

I mean, if it was going to be an official after-hours party of some kind, you're going to get complaints out the ying-yang by nearly every other special interest group out there. Next thing you know, someone will want a Bat Day where all the goth kids can come out and turn the Magic Kingdom into the Tragic Kingdom, followed closely by the religious community wanting something as well if not a more religious-heavy Christmas to make up for having Disney hold events that are not seen as "family friendly."

And I think I've said enough, so I'll stop and just pipe up when I feel the need to, as I'm sure others will post more intelligent and well-thought-out opinions than I ever could.
    I guess the word "fun" is lost on some people. I'm well aware what they are this was merely a hypothetical do-it-yourself scenario. Not a serious "well if this DID happen you'd have a lot of complaints etc" thread.

TDLFAN, I was unaware of those events, although I do know that if you pay enough $ you can organize after hours events yourselves.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

One year, they had one of the parties in Festival arena.

And they had one of the dances in the DL Hotel Ballroom - with at least 3 or 4 Disney characters making appearances: Mickey Dressed as a prince, Minnie as a princess, and MALIFICENT! Yes! The horned one -

Another year they had the main dance in (West) Hollywood Studios Backlot, (no attractions were open, this was before ToT had opened.) They had the Evil Queen present for a little while.

• The Darkness to Light

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    I guess the word "fun" is lost on some people. I'm well aware what they are this was merely a hypothetical do-it-yourself scenario. Not a serious "well if this DID happen you'd have a lot of complaints etc" thread.
    The sense of "fun" is not lost on me, though I do question it sometimes given certain situations.

It's just I don't see how much "fun" an after-hours party can be these days at WDW given what I know. Now, granted you told me to bar the idea of the overpriced ticket, which I did. But even if money wasn't an option, I don't see how any more fun an after-hours party would be to what I already see as a fun day to enjoy the park with the same demographic of people.

Which reminds me, I need more red shirts...
    WARNING: Any opinions expressed by this user are wrong.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I think it wrecks the point of gay days. I've never been to one, but I'm about as pro-gay as you can get: gay friends, support marriage, I've even spent time in gay bars (short story, it was Japan and I didn't have anything to worry about because I stuck out like a sore thumb that screamed "tourist" while people watching.)

I'm not against this because I have some closed-minded view that the event would degenerate into a night of debauchery and mating rituals fit for a feature story in National Geographic. Besides, we have Grad Nite for that already. I am against this because the whole point of Gay Days is for the park to be in normal mode. Especially at WDW, where the tourist is top priority, the appeal to a gay days is that the participants are out there mixed up with the "normal crowd," so to speak. It is about being there with friends but also about being treated just like everyone else.

It's one of the few places where you can declare yourself gay and not be treated any differently than anyone else. Even pride events can't say that, really.

To have an event focused on lifestyles flies against the spirit of an event that tries to bridge that divide.

Anaheim at some point had an after hours private party during its gay day weekend.

One year the people that organizes the event rented out the hollywood picture backlot of DCA. It was quite crowded, lots of music and food. They served hotdogs and desserts as well as drinks.

They were expecting to have it again the next year since Tower was going to open. They looked into having the attraction open for the night but the event never happened again
    Last edited by Baloo; 10-27-2008 at 11:26 AM.