Blog Entries

What is the story behind La Nouba?

So I've never seen La Nouba in person due to the cost, but I did rent it on dvd from netflix this week. It was absolutely amazing and one of these days I'm just going to have to do it and go see it, but I did want to know if anyone knew what the story they were trying to tell is.

The only thing I could figure out was that the cleaning lady must have fallen asleep on the job and what we were witnessing on the stage were her strange dreams come to life. Is there anything more to it than that? Do the various characters have stories behind why they're there and doing what they're doing, etc...?

Re: What is the story behind La Nouba?

From Cirque's website:
    "The show name La Nouba originates from the French phrase "faire la nouba," which means to party, to live it up. This creation is an unforgettable journey through our universe—at once threatening and exhilarating, frightening and familiar. La Nouba is the story of all stories, the site of all mysteries, where dreams and nightmares sleep side by side. La Nouba is memory, individual and universal. It beckons to us, challenges us to uncover passions we thought we'd lost long ago. Here, anything is possible.

La Nouba features two groups of characters. Throughout the show, the magic and fantasy of the colourful Cirques (circus people) clash with the monochromatic world of the Urbains (urbanites). But as in fables, it is not so much this contrast as the interplay between the two groups which sparks our curiosity and feeds our imagination.

From this encounter is born fear and ecstasy. From this encounter is born La Nouba."

Also, you might want to give the Wikipedia entry (La Nouba - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) a gander. DEFINITELY attend the show next time you're at WDW. In my opinion, it's their best show. Then again, it was the first Cirque show I've seen. So, that may be why I like it so much.
    -Tim

• Geoff London

From About.com

"Browse one of the gift shop's colorful books about La Nouba, and you'll find that there is no written story line. 'It was intentionally done that way', explains the sales associate, 'to allow visitors to use their imagination and interpret the show themselves.' A traditional pre-circus parade made up of nostalgic looking circus performers enters the auditorium, teasing the audience with a glimpse of what is to come. On stage, a cleaning woman's life begins to change as she peers into the mysterious world of the circus folk.
    As the show progresses, two distinct groups can be identified. The urban people are represented by the muted tones of their straight-lined costumes and the circus people offer a stark contrast with their bright, flowing neon colors. Extremes such as this are often played out during the 90 minute performance. Layers of clothing transform the rigid urbanites into colorful, free-spirited circus performers."

I can see why someone would baulk at the price (currently $114 per adult $91 per child - and plus tax) but as a very special treat I wouldn't miss it. I've seen it twice and it just takes your breath away. The finale is just so fast paced.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Blog Entries

Yeah, the price is way out of our league right now but one day I'll see it. The trampoline portion at the ending was fantastic. So basically there is no story. Ok.