Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Four Parks: One Stale World?

OK from The Place Where Dreams Come True and Magic Lives, especially during The Year(s) of a (two) Million Dreams and coming soon: What Will YOU Celebrate? is the latest marketing/merchandising tagline ... Four Parks One World branding on merchandise and ads.

This just continues the marketing message that the individual parks (and their levels of freshness and quality) don't really matter so much as the whole of WDW.

Yet after visiting and seeing very little new ... and no new attraction construction (AI Theater nonwithstanding) going on, one must wonder if the shirts and hats and glasses should say 'One Stale World.'

Sea World and Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure all have major attractions under construction and others in the pipeline.

WDW, which is less than three years away from another milestone B-Day, has ... well ... uhm ... ah ...plenty of unsold DVC inventory either completed (Saratoga Springs) and unsold or under construction (DAK Lodge Villas, Bay Lake Tower, Treehouses at SS) and unsold.

It is a whole lot harder for Disney to weather a recession (bordering on depression for many Americans) than Universal or Busch because Disney has over 25,000 rooms and timeshares to fill nightly.

In other words, Disney's irresponsible growth since the mid-90s has put it in a very difficult position to get through tough economic times. And with all the cutbacks that started about the time Frank Wells was buried, one must wonder what is left to cut?

It all doesn't leave a lot of hope for new and great things in WDW's theme parks in the future at all.

But I am sure visionaries like Inoverherheadmeg Crofton, Erin Wallace, Al Weiss, Phil 'Magic Man' Holmes and company can keep the cash flowing while delivering magical WDW vacations to millions.

There just isn't much to get excited about when it comes to WDW these days ... and I doubt we're going to see the Imagineering Blue Sky Verandah opening in Adventureland soon ... or perhaps the Imagineering Blue Sky Wonders of the Future pavilion at Epcot ... or the Imagineering Blue Sky Soundstage at The Park Formerly Known as The Disney-MGM Studios or ... you get the idea.

Oh, I guess we can all look forward to the new Hall of Presidents coming in spring 2009 ... course they didn't really have much choice in that one, did they?

Stale Mountain's redo? Well, you haven't heard much about that one, have you? Neither have I ...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Four Parks: One Stale World?

Remember when WDW used to be proactive in creating new attractions? I wish we would go back to looking forward to new attractions every year or so, especially with the 40th looming overhead.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I dunno, I'd respond by saying that The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Turtle Talk with Crush, refurbed Spaceship Earth, Finding Nemo the Musical, Lights Motors Action, High School Musical, Block Party Bash, refurbed Pirates, Expedition Everest, Toy Story Mania, refurbed Haunted Mansion, Dream Along with Mickey, Wishes, the Pirate and Princess Party, Soarin, and others have all opened within the last three years. Pixie Hollow, the Cars meet and greet, and the Toy Story meet and greet all just opened, the Country Bear refurb (which was a big deal to even happen) just finished, and a Space and Presidents refurb are set real soon. The Osbourne Lights at the Studios also got a huge upgrade a year ago. That list alone could combine to a new small park with day and nighttime entertainment. Change may not seem as noticable as say change at Disneyland, maybe due to the percentage of the total park property being changed, or maybe due to the frequency of ones visits, but in my personal opinion, that's a pretty decent list to have happened in only three years, without even mentioning the gigantic resort room and pool refurbs in addition to the remodeling of Pleasure Island and construction of new DVC resorts.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by JLindley2003 View Post
    I dunno, I'd respond by saying that The Seas with Nemo and Friends, Turtle Talk with Crush, refurbed Spaceship Earth, Finding Nemo the Musical, Lights Motors Action, High School Musical, Block Party Bash, refurbed Pirates, Expedition Everest, Toy Story Mania, refurbed Haunted Mansion, Dream Along with Mickey, Wishes, the Pirate and Princess Party, Soarin, and others have all opened within the last three years. Pixie Hollow, the Cars meet and greet, and the Toy Story meet and greet all just opened, the Country Bear refurb (which was a big deal to even happen) just finished, and a Space and Presidents refurb are set real soon. The Osbourne Lights at the Studios also got a huge upgrade a year ago. That list alone could combine to a new small park with day and nighttime entertainment. Change may not seem as noticable as say change at Disneyland, maybe due to the percentage of the total park property being changed, or maybe due to the frequency of ones visits, but in my personal opinion, that's a pretty decent list to have happened in only three years, without even mentioning the gigantic resort room and pool refurbs in addition to the remodeling of Pleasure Island and construction of new DVC resorts.

Some on your list just kinda prove WDW1974's point on how stale it's gotten at Magic Kingdom particularly... and with nothing really being in the works, they better get crackin soon.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

This can only lead into the debate on those who aren't lucky enough to go often versus those locals/people who go often.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JLindley2003 View Post
    The list is impressive but honestly... Disney has the ability to knock off socks... and most of what you have mentioned above simply falls short of that potential. I also would not include the hard ticket parties in that list as they do not offer something worthy of being excellent... except for a pyro show or two. Likewise with lame shows like HSM and Dream Aloing with Mickey.. and while refurbishings for attractions are nice, they are hardly the kind of stuff that replaces new and extraordinary E/D/C-ticket experiences...

SO...

No. I am not impressed to the core with WDW's current lineup the way I am impressed by what's being done in the international parks.. HKD, Paris and Tokyo.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    This can only lead into the debate on those who aren't lucky enough to go often versus those locals/people who go often.
    Actually if I only go once every few years I want a reason to go. This time for me it was Mission Space and Expidition Everest. Right now I'm in no hurry to go back and that's what should worry Disney.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Actually if I only go once every few years I want a reason to go. This time for me it was Mission Space and Expidition Everest. Right now I'm in no hurry to go back and that's what should worry Disney.

Exactly. I went last year and felt like I've done it and the way things are run over there, I'm in no real hurry to return. And with Adventurer's Club gone, I have even LESS of a reason to go back.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

I have no inclination to go to Disney World. I don't understand why they cut back in times like this when they should actually be thinking of ways to entice people to visit.

Everything at Disney World is stagnant. All four of the parks are jumbled messes. Even though the West and East coast parks are run under the same umbrella now, Disneyland still excels in keeping things fresh. Look at the differences between Pixie Hollow at Disneyland and Disney World. Just one of the examples. I can't wait until some of DCA's rennovation gets underway. DCA will be a good second park companion one day and between Disneyland and the newer DCA, I think Disneyland will always excel ahead of its uglier, younger, yet bigger sister.

I'd rather go to Tokyo.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 11-01-2008 at 08:43 PM.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Not going to WDW? Fine by me! I only like to go when it's not crowded.

Really, now, the DLR has gone even longer without any massive, show disrupting, audience-redirecting megaride construction and the people who go to it frequently still enjoy it. Because they can find their own entertainment, they can enjoy the atmosphere. They can embrace the little things and not feel like something needs to be built all the time. They have their own culture and favourite spots and just aren't thinking "bigger newer better" every month of the year (that the place is limited in size and so far developed out with stuff Walt built probably helps.) They've had a few annoyances over the years like the empty lagoon and the empty Peoplemover track, but it's not something they're going to not return about.

I can relax at WDW in numerous ways I can't at DLR. There's many things to do, experiences to be had resort-wide that I haven't ever bothered with. I've never rented a watercraft, or gone golfing, or what have you. I probably should do the boat thing sometime.

I don't know, I just sort of feel like I don't need another big ride every year.

• Banned User

I agree, the less people that go the less crowded it will be when I go. The parks seem just fine to me, but then again I go to have a good time, not nit pick what could be done better.

I really don't have much to add. I posted this because it's how I feel.

Maybe I'm spoiled because in the last six months I've been fortunate enough to go to DL twice and HKDL once.

But it doesn't change the fact that WDW management seems focused on selling timeshares and dining plans and contrived marketing events.

Sure, WDW has had things added over the past five years, but the property is so big and bloated that adding Everest, which can't even keep most of its effects working, to DAK doesn't change the fact the MK hasn't added a similar attraction since 1992. Sure TSMM is a nice addition to the Studios, but it doesn't change the fact that Wonders of Life is simply a place to go for wine tastings and seminars.

Some of the things I most enjoyed at WDW this visit were things I always enjoy: like walking from the WL to FW and petting the horses (when the lawyers weren't watching) or walking around the World Showcase Lagoon with some wine or having an ice cream sundae at DD or riding the Haunted Mansion ... there wasn't anything new for me to enjoy with the exception of TSMM (which I had already ridden many times in Anaheim). And none of it changed the fact much of WDW 's park product is stale.

You can only recycle the magic so often before you have to start creating some new magic.

And ask yourself whether you think WDW management, which is so conservative it makes Sarah Palin look like a wild liberal (c'mon, it's a joke ... let's see if anyone has a sense of humor), is willing to spend money in its parks when the economy is so godawful.

The money may get spent in Anaheim, in Tokyo, in Hong Kong, in Paris ... but in Orlando?

Not unless it is on three letters: D-V-C. (Shhh ... it's Disney's Best Kept Sca...I mean Secret!)

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974 View Post
    Maybe I'm spoiled because in the last six months I've been fortunate enough to go to DL twice and HKDL once.

Be careful if you go to Tokyo then. You may pass out.

• Banned User

Well for someone who has never been, Im so excited I could burst. But I often wondered if I should not have gone back to disneyland / DCA . Not sure why, maybe because I know that park and it never gets old.

To me the parks never get old. I dream of spending days just wandering around EPCOT or the Magic Kingdom. I was there in the spring, and if I could afford it I'd go again in a minute.

In these economic times maybe Disney would be better served to drop prices with special deals. Travel costs are up so less people are going to the world and they are loosing money. Having special deals wouldn't loose them any more money, but might bring more people in seeing "a deal".

They do need to stay ahead of the other parks. While it is still a unique experience to go to Disney, nobody can just sit on their laurels.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast