Port Orleans or Caribbean?

We have stayed at the Coronoda and liked it but wanted to try a different moderate resort. For those who have stayed at both, which (PO or CB) is better and for what reasons? And if PO, Riverside or French Quarter?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Re: Port Orleans or Caribbean?

French Quarter is my favorite of the three.

Smaller, more intimate setting (Also means less walking from the lobby area to your room)

I like the theme the best of the three. Romantic and fun!

Boat Ride to Downtown Disney is wonderful and relaxing!

The bus stops first at FQ, then PO, so a better chance of getting a seat. (To some people, it makes a big difference)

You can still enjoy all the amenities of Riverside, without all the walking from place to place.

The one thing to be said about Caribbean Beach is that the rooms are undergoing rehab right now. It means that the rooms are newer by a few years. It also means there is construction at the resort. While it probably won't affect you, if you decided to stay the the Caribbean, make sure you request the newly renovated rooms.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Is it true that you can walk from the Caribbean to Epcot? If so, how long does that take? I wish there was a better map of the resorts in proximity to the parks.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

It's a long walk on major roads with no walkways, so I wouldn't recommend it at all. Easier to rent a car or take a bus.

Maybe you are thinking of the Yacht and Beach Club, Boardwalk, and Swan and Dolphin, which have direct access to EPCOT?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Quote Originally Posted by abarry90 View Post
    Is it true that you can walk from the Caribbean to Epcot? If so, how long does that take? I wish there was a better map of the resorts in proximity to the parks.
    No, you can't. The only resorts that you can walk to any park are BC, YC, BW, Swan and Dolphin. Those parks have established walking paths to DHS and Epcot. You can also walk to MK from the Contemporary. Besides those you have to drive or depend on Disney transportation.

Caribbean Beach is a very large and spread out resort which involves a lot of walking. Unless you plan on driving, I would recommend French Quarter because it is smaller and more intimate.

• MiceChat Travel Partner

I agree, French Quarter is best of the group!
    MiceChat Preferred Travel Partner

Contact us to book your next Disney Vacation!

• World Traveler

For theming, I like POR, but for intimacy, I like POFQ. They're both much better than the other moderate resorts, though.

• For a new Gotham!

I've never stayed in the French Quarter, but I've stayed in both Caribbean Beach and Riverside. While I enjoyed them both, I find Riverside to be infinitely better. I just adore the theming and think it's absolutely beautiful. Not to mention, you can scooch to Downtown Disney on the little boat.

CBR has slightly larger rooms. The resort is very colorful and upbeat and...tropical. My rooms there have always been comfortable and quiet. CBR feels a bit more like CSR than POR.
    POR is less colorful but the bayou section is very peacefull with lots of trees and I like the "rustic" feel of the rooms. I am not a fan of the southern mansion architecture but I loved my stay at Parterre Place. I really felt like I was staying in some rich persons home. I thought the rooms were nice, comfortable and quiet but not particularly my style.
    POFQ is my least favorite of the moderates though it is still a nice place to stay.

I would say if you want something a bit different from CSR go for POR. If you want something a bit similar go with CBR.

I stayed at the POFQ and had a great time. Smaller then most. The bus system is what really sold me. The buses pick-up at POFQ and POR. There is one stop at the POFQ which the buses pick-up first and drop off first. And I must admit, I loved taking the boat to DTD.

We always stay at Riverside. I love the backwoods feel of the Alligator Bayou section. It feels like you are secluded in the woods in the some of the buildings. Very quiet and peaceful resort.

• Disney Vacation Planner

Depends on how many people you have in your party. If it's over 4, then you'll want to stay at Riverside. Unless, one of them is an infant. POFQ is my most favorite resort on Disney property. I like some of the same things about it as the others were saying. Cosy, Smaller, never have to walk too far for coffee. Going to the parks, we've never had to stand on the bus. Coming back from the parks - had to stand sometimes. The buses pick up at FQ first and then on to Riverside for 4 stops. The bus can be filled by then, and you will have to stand. You can take a relaxing and scenic boat ride from the resort to DTD. And it is a beautiful resort. It just has a peacful feel about it.