Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

August at Pop Century

Yesterday I booked two rooms at POP Century for next August for my grandson, his mom, and myself. I originally wanted to vacation at WDW in April. However, due to the high cost of air travel during Easter week, I switched our plans to August.

I am so glad that I did.

I haven't been on a Disney World vacation with my grandson since 2005, and we were so due to get back there, and have some fun together.

I have never stayed at a Value resort, so this should be a completely different vacation for us. We are also going for a much longer period of time, so there will be time, this time, to make the journey to both Universal Studios, and Sea World.

It is a 9 night, 10 day vacation, and I am excited.

My dates are August the 15th until the 24th, and by using my, brand new AAA card, I was able to get a discount.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: August at Pop Century

Congrats. I've stayed at Pop Century.. and if you are used to Deluxe hotels.. its certainly going to be a different experience for you.

The rooms are OK, but certainly on the motel/low-end hotel grade of quality. My biggest complaint with the place is the commotion. It's not very relaxing or secluded. The food court is like eating at the mall.. and the reception area is in the main throughfare. Basically - lots of noise and people running about all the time. Don't look for the hotel to be an 'escape' from the park commotion and being just relax for the day. There are several pools.. but nothing of real mention.

Resort it is not - Hotel it is.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Congrats. I've stayed at Pop Century.. and if you are used to Deluxe hotels.. its certainly going to be a different experience for you.

The rooms are OK, but certainly on the motel/low-end hotel grade of quality. My biggest complaint with the place is the commotion. It's not very relaxing or secluded. The food court is like eating at the mall.. and the reception area is in the main throughfare. Basically - lots of noise and people running about all the time. Don't look for the hotel to be an 'escape' from the park commotion and being just relax for the day. There are several pools.. but nothing of real mention.

Resort it is not - Hotel it is.
    I have stayed at moderates and deluxes in the past. So I know that it will be a really different vacation for us by staying at Pop Century.

I am an early riser, and most likely all my breakfast meals will be at their food court. I like the fact that it opens earlier than most.

I usually do a lot of early mornings, and don't return to the hotel during the day at all. Usually my middays are centered around a quiet activity, a new experience, or a sit down meal somewhere that I haven't been before. I am a compulsive planner, and there's so many places at WDW that I haven't visited before. So many things that I haven't done.

So I'm not too sure how much time I will really spend there. I just like the fact that we will all have our own bed to sleep in, and it didn't cost me much for our 10 day trip. I don't swim, so the pool isn't important to me. I am sure that my grandson will take some time to jump in there a few times during our stay. We usually split up for the most time during our trip. The two of them off by themselves, and me with my different itinerary. We then meet up for part of our days. We have vacationed together before, and I am thankful for cell phones.

My goal has been to stay at all the different types of hotels at Disney World, and this fits in with that plan.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The food court is convenient - just busy and loud. But having 'walk up' is a plus for many people.

My biggest complaint was just when we returned at the end of the day... looking to spin down and its kids running rampant... noisy... etc. I equated it to 'staying at the mall'. But purely as a hotel that has reasonable transportation and provides the on-property perks it fits the bill. I had a car when I stayed there however, so I didn't use the buses.

Am I evil? yes, I am

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been to Disney World enough times to know how the bus system works. It's one reason that when I am gone for the day, I am gone for the day. Also excited screaming children don't really bother me. I am actually looking forward to seeing a different side of a Disney World vacation. Also, because it is much longer than most of my past trips, I won't be so impatient to get where I am going. I have so much more time.

I know that when I went in 2006, that was a longer trip. I remember that I liked that I could plan more time for things. I knew that I would be going to each park more than once. I didn't feel rushed, or impatient. Having more time to do things is one reason we decided that on this trip, it would be more days at a value, than less days at a moderate.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I agree.. the slower relaxed pace is sooo much nicer - especially if you are in a small group that is ok with it, and you aren't trying to appease someone's need to go be somewhere. I especially like having time to do the smaller tours.. visit the ranch, etc

With the slower pace, thats why I really look to WDW to be a resort, and not just a park with hotels. Doing things like water ski'ing in the morning... doing a campfire canoe trip in the evening.. water country.. etc. Those are the types of things that used to really set the Disney trips apart for me. I wish Disney made it a bit easier to find and browse all these smaller experiences that are dispersed all throughout the property.

With 3 kids of my own, I'm used to the kid commotion as well.. but what I don't tolerate is running around like wild animals in public, shared spaces that are not playgrounds. And with the Pop's setup where you go through the main lobby to get to my building.. there was no escaping it and the noise level each night. That was just the big set-off to me on the 'class' level of the place and clientel vs some of the nicer places.

Staying at the Shades of Green is really no more fancy, but there isn't these huge open spaces which are loud or the packs of kids bouncing off the walls in the main lobby. The Shades is an excellent value if you have anyone in your family that is allowed to stay there.

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've never had a problem with noise at Pop Century. Then again, my ears aren't the greatest, so I probably didn't hear half of what others might have. I've stayed there 3 or 4 times now and I'll most likely stay there again whenever my next trip may be. I'm a pop culture junkie, so the place is kitsch heaven for me.

• Pilot EdForceOne

I didn't have problems with noise at the rooms - just the lobby/food court area... which if you stay in the main buildings behind the building you always cross through the lobby

Am I evil? yes, I am

• Rock Star Minion

Expect it to be hot.
    Expect it to be humid.
    Expect an afternoon rain.
    Expect bugs.

I've been in August. We had a great time. October was a little better.

Value "resorts" are mainly for sleeping. Maybe a little swimming.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I didn't have problems with noise at the rooms - just the lobby/food court area... which if you stay in the main buildings behind the building you always cross through the lobby
    I've never stayed in those buildings. I've only been in the 50's & 70's sections, usually in the back of the buildings... away from the noise from the pools and the food court. One time I had a 2nd floor room overlooking the bowling pin pool, but there wasn't much noise at all.

• <3

Lost Bar - It's where we come together in true DMCA style.
    Blog Entries

We stayed at the Pop Century a few years ago and loved it. Our youngest was under 3, so we had 5 of us in one room and it got a bit cramped, but nothing we cared about.

We all absolutely loved it and would probably try to work out staying there again, though we'd need two rooms. The icons all around the place were so much fun to just walk around and look at. Having so many choices for pools was fun. The food court being right there was quite convenient. We got the refillable mugs on the first day and it was great to be able to go through and fill them after getting off the bus on the way to the room, or on the way to/from the pool. We didn't notice any noise while in the room, but we were also on the back side of the 70's buildings looking at the 80's buildings. Pac-man sides and Rubik's cubes = so much fun nostalgia! Also, the fact that they don't share a bus system with the other value resorts was a major plus. You had to walk the furthest at each park drop off, but it was well worth it to know the bus wouldn't already be full when you just waited 10 minutes for it.

For breakfast, the youngest and I always shared a kids meal because it had plenty of food. And it cost under $3. For two of us. Where else can you get that there?

Anyway, enjoy! It's so much fun!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Every time I travel with kids I stay at the value resorts and I don't mind it. The food court is loud and noisy, but so is my child so I don't have to worry about him disturbing anyone else, or my neice and nephew for that matter. Whenever I travel without children, it was always at the moderate hotel.
    I stayed at the 70's - at the back close to the parking lot, and noise was not an issue at all. It was very quiet. My biggest complaint is that the rooms are small, but I spend most of my days at the parks and DTD so it isn't too much of an issue.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love reading everyone's comments about the resort, positive, and negative. I love going to Disney World, so I figure the more knowledge that I have before I go, the better the trip will be.

• most magical vaca ever

Yup add me to the Pop Century crowd... We stayed in the 80s section- being a kid of the 80s we (hubby, sister in law and me) thought it was really neat! The only complaint we had was lugging our bags from the parking lot to the room was a bit of a journey but I guess that is why it's worth the extra money for a better room

We had two rooms (there were 7 of us all together) The rooms are on the small side but we don't care, we are not going to WDW to stay in our room

I would love to stay in the 50s or 60s section next time we go to WDW- looks like we are going in March 09' but don't know any details just yet since we'll be going with a school.

Now as for going in August, I wish you lots of luck w/the heat! Although my Floridian relatives tell me NJ isn't much better w/heat and humidity in August
    ~~~~~~

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMof2 View Post
    Yup add me to the Pop Century crowd... We stayed in the 80s section- being a kid of the 80s we (hubby, sister in law and me) thought it was really neat! The only complaint we had was lugging our bags from the parking lot to the room was a bit of a journey but I guess that is why it's worth the extra money for a better room

We had two rooms (there were 7 of us all together) The rooms are on the small side but we don't care, we are not going to WDW to stay in our room

I would love to stay in the 50s or 60s section next time we go to WDW- looks like we are going in March 09' but don't know any details just yet since we'll be going with a school.

Now as for going in August, I wish you lots of luck w/the heat! Although my Floridian relatives tell me NJ isn't much better w/heat and humidity in August
    I don't mind the heat. I think my thyroid condition makes me a little cooler than most people. The secret, of course, is to stay hydrated, but then again, you knew that.

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast