Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Killer of Threads

Re: Top 5 things the Magic Kingdom park does best

Seeing this thread makes me happy indeed! It'd be silly for me to offer my own such list, as like Phonedave, I've really only experienced WDW. Well, I've also experienced Gatorland, which comes very, very close. But it's great to see everyon else's reflections on the matter.

Also, it's great to see the Haunted Mansion recognized by everyone! It makes me happy to realize that the version I finally got to revisit is the greatest in the world.

As a bit of an afterthought, I'd like to humbly submit one notion for inclusion on the list - the awesome legacy of the Orange Bird. Did TDL ever have an Orange Bird? Well, DID IT???

• Circle of Ancients

1) Not "Technically" in the Magic Kingdom, but the approach to the park via boat or ferry. The Anticipation of seeing the castle in the distance, it's getting closer now. Best approach of any Magic Kingdom park I've been to. Well, only 2, but whatever.
    2) Going to go with TDLFAN, best "Retro" attractions. Peoplemover, CoP, Rocket Jets, Country Bears. Love them all.
    3) Crowds. Even when the park is crowded, it never "feels" crowded. They really learned from Disneylands mistake when it came to size.
    4) Food. The food at this park is great. Not the best (EPCOT is better) but the amount of variety to be found is amazing.
    5) Everything else. I absolutely love the MK. I know many people bash it, but I love it.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Views are lower here.. obviously a large portion of MC only visits certain forums vs 'new posts' - but alas.. different discussion.

I'm just wondering if TDLFan may be setting up to interview again at TWDC or something...

1. Set-back and approach. Disney's wholistic approach to set the MK back away from it all, including your parking and 'current transportation' works wonders to build anticipation. With the 'disney transportation' the climax of the castle view from MS... nothing tops it.

2. Mansion exterior... the gothic feel and set back there is awesome. I can't compare to Phantom Manor tho.. and while DL's plantation house is beautiful, it doesn't have the dark overtures that the FL one does, nor the setback from the walkway and other viewed attractions. (I think its location bests TDL's slightly)

3. Better TL layout... and the tunnels for SpaceMountain that help build the suspense. Hopefully the rumors of massive cutbacks on that refurb are overstated

4. Monorail network. While it really needs expansion.. using the monorail on property adds to the 'escape' factor that MK has.

5. Liberty Square with the HoP. While lost on many, the HoP exhibit is a classic example of Disney tech and granduer. Alas slightly upstaged by the American Adventure's theatre inside, I think the HoP lobby is special.

And a Bonus one... for keeping the themed queue and preshow alive and well! The chain switchbacks outside ST and Buzz at DL are miserable examples of ignoring this part of the experience.

Now if MK could just bring back Mainstreet to what it used to be.. they'd be rocking. It saddens me to see MainStreet gutted.. on the property that has the LEAST CONTENTION for retail space.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Mine will be more of a "what they're doing right".

1) Main Street at Christmas. Tonight was excellent, we got there at 5:15, and there was not a hoola hoop in sight! It was decorated, the lights were on, there were no games being played, and best of all THEY WERE RUNNING 4 DIFFERENT MAIN ST VEHICLES!!! The last time I saw this at night time...was...wow...I can't even remember.

2) Castle Lights/Ceremony. The ceremony is short and sweet, but nice, Christmas-y...and the lights look GREAT. Of course it would apparently kill them to list the time on the web-site (I even googled it, and only got that last years was at 5:45...this year its at 6:30 FYI...we stood in the cold like idiots).

3) The Country Bear Rehab...Henry (left one) looks EXCELLENT. Of course there are other bears with almost no animation, and Trixie had no audio (the entire show's audio engineering is horrid at the moment) but the speakers at Bunny, Bubbles and Beulah has been fixed. Years later, but still.

That's 3. But honestly, the way they were treating Main Street this afternoon was WONDERFUL. It almost made me giddy, it was that important to me. What a huge step up! And it was fairly crowded for being a colder night...so the vehicles were not out on an empty street. Way to go!

One question however...EPCOT has had their tree for a week...where is MK's??? This is the park that started Christmas Nov. 5th...but no tree??

• Banned User

I understand we have Regis Philbin to thank for the lack of tree at the MK for the time being...

Shouldn't the tree be placed near Tomorrowland during that time?

• Banned User

Apparently, they have decided all of a sudden that it is too expensive to relocate the tree if they place it near the castle at first.

• Banned User

1. The Haunted Mansion. Truly a gem of an attraction, inside and out. One of the most succesful refurbs ever.
    2. As others have mentioned, the retro attractions are much appreciated. I love the Country Bears.
    3. Spectro-magic. A beautiful parade, albeit very similar to the Electric Parade currently at DCA.
    4. Probably the most beautiful castle at any Disney park worldwide.
    5. Mickey's PhilharMagic. Still the best 3D/4D movie ever.

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

admittedly i have only been to WDW, so can't compare the magic kingdom with any parks except the WDW ones so i have noted the top 5 things i love about the Mk.

1. The atmosphere!
    2. Wishes.
    3. MNSSHP
    4. The costumes and decorations for holidays
    5. The entrance!

• Banned User

Well I am bumping this topic of mine once again because seems to me there is a lot of negativity coming from many folks here in regards to WDW as a whole, especially since a few poeple here like to point the finger and attack some of us for our views in the matter.. and I hope that those same folks take the time to post here so this "positive" thread about WDW does not sink to the bottom of the pile again.

I will add one more thing I am happy WDW is doing.. new year eve's firework at the Mk to be performed on the 30th as well. Great chance for those of us not going to the MK on dec 31st to enjoy this special treat!

• When Will It Return?

To be fair, you originally limited this thread to the Top 5 things that Magic Kingdom does best. It's a little difficult to keep going on about one relatively small portion of a 47-square mile Resort.

If you want to expand this concept out to the entire WDW Resort, I think you'd get a much broader response and interest level.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

1. Fireworks...with so many variations, that's a lot of intricate planning and execution.

2. Haunted Mansion redone

3. Again, the approach...I love the ferry and monorails, and wish all the WDW parks had been connected by monorail like Walt's original plan. Of course, I also wish the dome had been built as well, and no inclement weather.

4. Again, the retro, small rides. Cop, TTA, HoP, etc. They are uncrowded, but I love them all and every time one gets shut down it's sad. Glad that MK still has some up and running, it's like pieces of Walt is still there (or at least, the most representative pieces of his contribution to theme park technology, even more so than PP or other such long-running rides; the featured animatronics and such that showcase Walt's vision of improving for the future).

5. Atmosphere, streetmosphere, however you want to say it. From "themed characters" on the street, to the characters everywhere (like the time I ran smack into a country bear, that was fun; didn't even know they had them as characters) in the appropriate areas (and not just posing for pictures, but actually walking around and interacting, not like Main Street characters), to the new interactive shows for the kids, Woody's roundup or Pirate Jack's tutorial (too bad the Fantasyland one is gone, though; and we don't have kids but it entertains us when we are relaxing somewhere and one of these happens and just being able to watch). It's the little touches that makes it magical.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

These are my top 5 from the MK:

1. I adore the fact I can see lots of AA shows - Country Bears, Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress and the funky alien at the counter service in Tomorrowland are why we go to the MK.

2. The peoplemover was a big family memory at DL, and the WDW version was plussed, I love being able to ride it again.

3. The barbershop on Main Street is a little piece of Disney magic and a great place to have a child's 1st haircut (or mine with styled Mickey Mouse on my head), pure fun and Disney magic.

4. The streetmousphere in Main Street is still great (remember when every land had it?) with the Mayor, Dapper Dans, and the music groups.

5. The uniqueness and depth of storytelling in Liberty Square is great (though I miss the unique shops, crafts and fife and drum band).
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I only just saw the original thread where it asked what the MK did better than the other parks. In this instance I can only stick with:

The Barbershop (I love DLP's but it is an adult men only affair, whereas MK is for all).

the retro attractions that are unique.

Liberty square is unique, but I prefer New Orleans Square in DL.

I will simply state I find it easier to list things in other MK style parks around the globe (and would find it hard to pare it down to 5). But I have 3 for Florida at least.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    I will simply state I find it easier to list things in other MK style parks around the globe
    I agree. For me, it seems that for any show/attraction/etc at the MK there is a better version of it elsewhere....Castle, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Pirates,Splash Mountain, PhilharMagic, Small World, etc the list goes on. There are exceptions, of course.

Still love the park though.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast