Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Top 5 things the Magic Kingdom park does best

I haven't been to any of the other parks other than WDW ones. I have been to MK dating back to 1979/1980.

The five things I think MK does best are:

1) Give that "Disney Magic". From the first walk through the turnstiles onto Main Street, you are typically overwhelmed by the sight of the Cinderella's Castle. As we all know, the forced perspective makes that look effective. It is easy for the first time visitor to be overwhelmed by that original view of the castle.

2) Make Memories. All of us have tremendous memories of our visits to the MK park. Whether it be the rides, character encounters, or shows; something about this place captured our imagination and kept it fresh in our minds.

3) The roving Saxophone Quartet. They are often in Fantasyland, but occasionally make the trip to Main Street. They are exceptional musicians with great personalities. I was blown away that the bass sax player REMEMBERED my wife and I from our previous trip 11 months prior. That personal touch really stuck with me.

4) Their treatment of the Developmentally Disabled. My last visit was with one of my clients from the group home I run. They gave us carte blanche treatment and made his first visit so memorable, including one of the Dream Squad setting up my client pulling the sword from the stone and having him named honorary Prince of the land.

5) The rides: Let's admit it, a number of the rides hold that awesomeness that makes us want to go back again and again. Mickey's Philharmagic is a new favorite of mine, but I have lost count of the times I have ridden all of the rides at MK.
    Last edited by maddogms; 12-20-2008 at 09:20 PM.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

1. The Haunted Mansion is amazing
    2. CoP, need I say more?
    3.Still having the People Movers
    4. Philharmagic
    5. Peter Pan has FP

• Fastest Man Alive

As a DL CM, I'm massively biased and have only been to the MK a handful of times (In WDW I tend to spend my time at DAK and Epcot) so mine are more of comparisons of what the MK does BETTER or has in addition to DL. (I'll leave comparissons of the litany of ways DL is better than the MK for that board, heh)

(1) Superior Queues- Might seem minor, but remember that a large part of anyone's stay in a Disney park is going to be standing in line. This get boring, and if the weather is poor, very unfun. In general the queues at MK have more cover and are better themed. A clear example is MK' POTC queue compared to DL's. It simply blows the west coast out of the water.

(2) Adventureland- Disneyland's is a claustrophobic bottleneck. MKs is lush and expansive, plus it also still has the Swiss Family Robinson treehouse going with it. Additions with the, IMHO, Agrabah Bazaar are well integrated as well to create a superior Advnetureland.

(3) Liberty Square- Haven't been to the updated Mansion, so I can't comment. But Liberty Square feels so great, I love the shops, the Hall of Presidents is much more entertaining than it really has any right to be. Disneyland still has Steve Martin and the 50th anniversary overstaying their welcome almost 4 years later, while the MK has Abe Lincoln...AND every other president still doing their thing.

(4) Tomorrowland Transit Authority- The beloved Peoplemover. Disneyparks involve ALOT of walking, sooner or later, everyone finds themselves on this sucker and deems is the best attraction in the park. I know I do. Hardly ever a wait, a long ride, and great views. I don't include CoP, because while I like it, it really should be open more often.

(5) The MainStreet Barber Shop- gotta love it. Got my haircut there on my birthday even! Wish Disneyland had it.

• Nutty about Disney parks

1. overall atmosphere and theming of the entire park, it's pure magic,
    2. park parades
    3. Castle shows - the castle lighting show being my favorite of course
    4. Main Street streetmosphere
    5. Frontierland - best themed area of the park, IMO
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well I am bumping this topic of mine once again because seems to me there is a lot of negativity coming from many folks here in regards to WDW as a whole, especially since a few poeple here like to point the finger and attack some of us for our views in the matter.. and I hope that those same folks take the time to post here so this "positive" thread about WDW does not sink to the bottom of the pile again.

I will add one more thing I am happy WDW is doing.. new year eve's firework at the Mk to be performed on the 30th as well. Great chance for those of us not going to the MK on dec 31st to enjoy this special treat!

It seems that you may be right here, as you mentioned ont he thread I posted "tell them well done", people seem to be a lot more interested in negative wdw threads than positive ones. A negative thread will get 20/20 responsed over the weekend whereas my positive one got 7 (??) I though it might just be my actual thread then i realised it was most positive threads.

I wonder if its because people have little positive things to say about wdw, or because they would rather have a debate on the negative things/threads!

Come on lets show everybody how much we all realyl do love WDW!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I agree. For me, it seems that for any show/attraction/etc at the MK there is a better version of it elsewhere....Castle, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain, Pirates,Splash Mountain, PhilharMagic, Small World, etc the list goes on. There are exceptions, of course.

Still love the park though.
    If you're comparing to Disneyland, the MK has a better version of Splash Mountain, Pooh, and Snow White, while several rides are a toss up: Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear, most of the Fantasyland rides are very close in quality. Some people prefer MK's version of Big Thunder. PhilharMagic is a 3D movie (and a dazzling one) how different can the one at HKDL be? And definitely, MK's Haunted Mansion has to currently be the best in the world.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    PhilharMagic is a 3D movie (and a dazzling one) how different can the one at HKDL be?
    Same exact movie, but they have a nicer semi-outdoor themed queue and overall, a much better themed theater building that enhances the look of HKDL's Fantasyland. But let's not derail the purpose of this topic... which is to praise the MK, or WDW in general if anyone feels like it.

1. Splash Mountain - I still consider Splash Mountain to be the ultimate ride. It combines thrills, storytelling, and Disney magic.

2. Adventureland - I'm not sure if it's because this is the land I usually walk through first, but Adventureland has always been my favorite. Once I make it here, I know I've made it.

3. Tomorrowland Transit Authority - While I'll never argue that it's the best ride in the park, it is always an essential part of my trip.

4. Loads of Attractions - No theme park in the world (not counting MK's sister parks such as Disneyland) has more worthwhile attractions.

5. The Magic - Although it is not my favorite park, it is definitely the most "magical" of the WDW parks. I worked here for 6 months and there still is something truly special about this place.

• Fortuosity!

1. Main Street U.S.A.: alright the stores may only carry crap now, The Walt Disney Story, Main Street Cinema and West Center Street may no longer exist but I still love a) the architecture of the buildings b) the entertainment with The Welcome Show, The Trolley Show, Dapper Dans, Streetmosphere charactres, 2 parades etc c) the food, I have the recipe for the French toast loaf but i still can't make it as good as they do at the bakery and you gotta love a restaurant themed to Lady and the Tramp d) the music, my favorite area music loop e) the decorations for Halloween and Christmas

2. Liberty Square: Truly unique to MK with attractions that are not in craptactular condition (no more). I'm really looking forward to The Hall of President's redo and I find the food outlets to be very nice too, plus the architecture and detail of the land. It's too bad the shops suck now. HM is my favorite Disney attraction so that helps too.

3. Classic rides still exist: TTA, CoP, Swiss Family Treehouse, Country Bear Jamboree, Tom Sawyer's Island minus pirates

4. Splash Mountain: It doesn't have the terrible wait times Disneyland's version has so I hear. Good thing those logs seat 8 and not 4 or 5.

5. Spectromagic: Love it!

Bonus 6.: MNSSHP

I'd put "Castle" on the list but since all 3 meals in the restaurant are ruined by charactres, outrageous set prices and are impossible to get into in general plus the King's Gallery being replaced with a beauty parlor where little girls can get botox injections I fell I can't have it there which greatly upsets me

*back to happy mood for thread*
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

If you're comparing to Disneyland
    That's just it though. I wasn't camparing it just to Disneyland, but also to Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

If you're comparing to Disneyland, the MK has a better version of Splash Mountain, Pooh, and Snow White, while several rides are a toss up: Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear, most of the Fantasyland rides are very close in quality. Some people prefer MK's version of Big Thunder. PhilharMagic is a 3D movie (and a dazzling one) how different can the one at HKDL be? And definitely, MK's Haunted Mansion has to currently be the best in the world.
    I do prefer DLp's versions of BTM, WDW has the weakest Buzz (DL and DLP has moveable guns and more sets), DLP has a better Snow White. Tokyo has a much better Pooh and Splash Mountain). Phil is nicer setting in Hong Kong.
    And to me, Phantom Manor (DLP) is the most awesome version.

And while I prefer the look of WDW's JC, I prefer the Californian skippers. Sorry.

I agree, where there are repeated attractions both in the MK and other MK parks, the only one that wins at WDW is perhaps Astro Orbitor (though equal to TDL). Unless the barbershop counts. WDW does have the most family friendly version.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The Magic Kingdom does the following best:

The Castle - it is a true icon. Huge, beautiful, detailed. You can see it from the Ticket and Transportation center beckoning you into the Magic Kingdom. An awesome sight.

Table Service Restaurants - MK has lots of great dining options right there in the park. While none of the food is spectacular, it is very good and the theme of the restaurants unique and well done. Tops on my list Liberty Tree Tavern and Tony's on Main Street. And if you are looking for a special meal within the park area, Grand Floridian, Polynesian, and Contemporary all have amazing restaurants to satisfy even the most discerning gastronomic tastes.

Crowd Control - The park has wide streets and paths, with plenty of escape routes from the parades.

Parades - Magic Kingdom still has a day time AND and night time parade. Disneyland cheeped out after Light-Tragic and hasn't replaced the night parade.

Affordability
    - It may be hard to believe but the Magic Kingdom offers far more affordable services from food, bottled water, hotels, and snacks than Disneyland in California does. You can stay at the budget priced All Star Resort, eat a reasonably priced meal at Pecos Bills, buy a reasonably priced bottle of water, and still afford to buy your kids some sour balls from the candy store at the end of the day!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Banned User

I never understood what's so great about the People Mover, but I do love the fact that the AA show isn't on life support at MK. Disneyland has the best Tiki Room, but that's it. MK has CBJ, COP and HOP. This park doesn't act as if the AA show is a dying breed.

• Banned User

1.) The look and feel of Tomorrowland: While DL may have better and more theme-appropriate attractions, MK's Tomorrowland is perfect in terms of atmosphere and theming. I never quite got the half-arsed Jules Verne theme of ours, but the City of Tomorrow theme that MK's has, with the spires, lighting, and kinetics makes it the best looking TL I've seen.

2.) Restaurants: They have more variety and a better amount of Table Service restaurants than DL. Plus I've noticed that food quality at MK is sometimes better than DL's.

3.) Fantasyland Dark Rides: Snow White has a real ending and a better beginning, Pooh is miles ahead of DL's, and Peter Pan has a faster line. I only wish they had more.

4.) Queue Areas: Pirates has a wonderfully detailed queue area, Splash Mountain's is detailed and huge, Space Mountain's queue is more detailed than ours, and Haunted Mansion's outdoor queue is nicely hidden and has the graveyard with the moving tombstone.

5.) Mickey's Philharmagic: The best 3-D show Disney's done, hands down. Funny, kid-friendly, and with a nice queue to match. The finale with Donald in the wall is one of the best moments in any attraction.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

1. I absolutely love the fact that you can watch the fireworks and the parades from the top of the railroad station. There's no need to stake out a place hours ahead of time. The view down Main Street is amazing from there.

2. The Barber Shop. I have never quite understood why Walt Disney did not have a Barber Shop in his Disneyland. I always stop for a haircut, when I am in Magic Kingdom.

3. The fact that the castle has a restaurant is a really cool thing. I realize that the meals have gotten pricy, and hard to reserve, but it is still special to eat there, and see the park outside the window.

4. Splash Mountain at Magic Kingdom is one of my favorite rides. I love the logs on the Magic Kingdom version, over those at Disneyland. I also love the way, that you can watch the logs come down. Their viewing spot is really great.

5. Tom Sawyer Island. The Island is fun to explore, and I like the fact that they have a small eatery there, where you can buy icecream, and enjoy it on the rocking chairs. I remember sitting on the rocking chairs with my grandson, a few years back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast