Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Coming soon to WDW??

Let's see...Universal Florida is launching their new coaster, Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit next year, and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at IOA in 2010. WDW is countering with...what? As far as I can tell, nothing new planned for 2009 or 2010. Last I heard, Star Tours II was on hold, as well as The Little Mermaid dark ride for WDW, and all the plans for Fantasyland. Even more inexplicably, there are rumors that the big Space Mountain refurb is getting scaled back...can we even expect anything new by 2011? What gives?
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I hope I am) but it seems that WDW will have no major new attractions for the next few years! Does Disney really want to rest on their laurels while Universal steals their thunder in Orlando?
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 11-22-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Re: Coming soon to WDW??

With the current economy Disney isn't going to do much. Their stocks are down from about $35 to $21 so it wouldn't be prudent of them to take on debt for improvements. Things are going to get worse & the mouse knows it. When things pick up again there will be new projects, now just isn't a good time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I know it's nothing major, even if they market it as such, but
    American Idol is opening at the Studios in early 2009.

Hopefully, more good news is coming, but so far this (and Kim Possible) is all we have so far.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

Isn't Disney still holding 7 of the top ten destinations in the world? Then why do people worry every time another park opens a new ride?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tickle View Post
    With the current economy Disney isn't going to do much. Their stocks are down from about $35 to $21 so it wouldn't be prudent of them to take on debt for improvements. Things are going to get worse & the mouse knows it. When things pick up again there will be new projects, now just isn't a good time.
    As long as we're throwing numbers around, here are a few:
    In 2007, the WDC reported net income of $4.6 billion...and total assets of $61 billion, including $3.6 billion in cash.
    You're going to try to tell me that this is a company that would need to borrow in order to build new rides??

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I know it's nothing major, even if they market it as such, but
    American Idol is opening at the Studios in early 2009.

Hopefully, more good news is coming, but so far this (and Kim Possible) is all we have so far.
    You're right, I forgot about those. And I'm not surprised that I forgot about them...
    Disney also knew that small fry stuff like this wasn't enough; that's why they had new E-tickets planned, and scheduled to open in the next 2-3 years. Now all those E-Tickets are all on hold. And what's their excuse? The recession. Well, it doesn't wash.
    This company is not hurting, people. Their revenues may be down, but this is still a company swimming in cash. Billions of dollars. And it's not as if they won't reap the benefits from a Star Tours 2 or a Little Mermaid at WDW. It's not as if those new rides would be a gift to us. Last time I looked, the WDC was still collecting millions of dollars in revenues at every theme park. And any major new attraction always brings bigger crowds.
    Here's a little lesson in Business 101. When you're in business, you have to invest in your business. If you don't invest in it, you stagnate. You have to take a long term view. You can't let the current economic winds dictate how you invest in your business; I know that a certain businessman called Walt never did.
    Class dismissed.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 11-23-2008 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    As long as we're throwing numbers around, here are a few:
    In 2007, the WDC reported net income of $4.6 billion...and total assets of $61 billion, including $3.6 billion in cash.
    You're going to try to tell me that this is a company that would need to borrow in order to build new rides??

When they only have $3.6 billion in cash, and the stock dropped half a billion dollars it might make one cautious about the future. Our economy is on the brink so maybe they don't want to put themselves in a bad position like they have been before. If they become too weak of a company they could be taken over by another. If they spend their cash they won't have any to defend themselves against a takeover. It's almost happened before, Disney is not immune from a takeover. I think they are being conservative until things pick up again. A few billion dollars isn't worth what it use to be. Just look at what's been happening lately. A lot of companies are being bought or just going bankrupt. I'm sure when the economy and Disney are in a better position they'll proceed with a lot of new projects. We'll just have to wait, that's all.
    Last edited by Mr. Tickle; 11-24-2008 at 04:41 AM.

• We'll hold them at bay

Disney won't do anything until Universal can show that it actually takes people out of the Disney parks. Until then, why would Disney spend money to compete with a non-competitor
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Blog Entries

WDW may not have to build a new attraction to directly compete with Universal. That said, the fact that they're content to sit on their laurels and leave their parks in a stale state while their competitors are working to attempt to make them better (although I'm not certain I can truly get behind an argument that says much good about Ripit Rockit or whatever Universal is calling that coaster now) says more about the current state of management than I'd like to see.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Tickle View Post
    When they only have $3.6 billion in cash, and the stock dropped half a billion dollars it might make one cautious about the future. Our economy is on the brink so maybe they don't want to put themselves in a bad position like they have been before. If they become too weak of a company they could be taken over by another. If they spend their cash they won't have any to defend themselves against a takeover. It's almost happened before, Disney is not immune from a takeover. I think they are being conservative until things pick up again. A few billion dollars isn't worth what it use to be. Just look at what's been happening lately. A lot of companies are being bought or just going bankrupt. I'm sure when the economy and Disney are in a better position they'll proceed with a lot of new projects. We'll just have to wait, that's all.
    A takeover? C'mon now, get serious. Who has the funds to take over a $42 billion company during this credit crunch? Some of the biggest banks in the world are belly up, or on the verge of going under.
    And you think fear of a takeover is the reason they are being chintzy with upcoming projects? They could allocate $300 million to maintain current projects like Star Tours II, and that would represent less than 10% of their cash reserves. This is a company with vast resources, and they seem to be afraid to take even the slightest risk. Walt must be rolling over in his grave.
    Let's get real. They're being chintzy because they are gutless, and because they think they can get away with it for a while. As Kcnole says, truly a sad commentary on current management thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    A takeover? C'mon now, get serious. Who has the funds to take over a $42 billion company during this credit crunch? Some of the biggest banks in the world are belly up, or on the verge of going under.
    And you think fear of a takeover is the reason they are being chintzy with upcoming projects? They could allocate $300 million to maintain current projects like Star Tours II, and that would represent less than 10% of their cash reserves. This is a company with vast resources, and they seem to be afraid to take even the slightest risk. Walt must be rolling over in his grave.
    Let's get real. They're being chintzy because they are gutless, and because they think they can get away with it for a while. As Kcnole says, truly a sad commentary on current management thinking.

If your company becomes too weak through low stock then you can be taken over, even in this market. Just ask Anheuser Busch. They were bought on credit by InBev for 52 billion. Disney is going to be conservative in this market which is probably a good idea. Their outlook isn't so good right now.

Media Stocks: Disney, Time Warner - Seeking Alpha

• Banned User

I don't buy it. How would spending more money on new attractions drag down the stock price? A few hundred million represents a tiny fraction of the company's wealth and resources.

What were seeing in the news about the economy right now is just the tip of the iceberg. Weve had a phony economy for decades with reckless borrowing and spending. Not many people have saved. Now our government thinks it can spend its way out of debt. Were headed for a hard crash. Things here are going to get really bad. Disney is going to have to be conservative to survive. Whether you believe it or not only time will tell, but the signs of the future arent good and Disney knows it. They are a huge company and have more than just its parks to worry about and manage. Id love to see new stuff from them. Some original attractions would be great, but I dont think well see anything spectacular soon. If Disney spent money on a new attraction it wouldn't drop their stock down, but it would drain cash. Why build something new and expensive in a bad economy when attendance numbers are already starting to decline? When people don't have money to go to WDW they aren't going to magically be able to afford a trip because WDW added a new ride. It doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money when there's obviously not going to be a return on the investment for a looong time. Cash is king right now.

• Killer of Threads

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    Isn't Disney still holding 7 of the top ten destinations in the world? Then why do people worry every time another park opens a new ride?
    Amen. And then there are the ones who complain if anything gets changed...

Anyway, I think we can all agree that there's only one thing that could possibly be a worthwhile investment for WDW. The attraction that could re-invigorate the once-proud DHS.

Two words: Superstar Limo

• Banned User

All I can do is reiterate what I've been saying, and that is this;to those who are bored with the parks, please, stay out of them so that when I go it will be less crowded and I'll enjoy the parks on your behalf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast