(Not so) magical outsourcing ...

... continues at WDW. Today's O-Sentinel reported that Team Disney wants to outsource nightly cleaning/housekeeping chores at WDW resorts. This would affect 200 unionized CMs, the union sez it will fight this move, even though Disney says they would be transfered to other full-time positions.

I'm sorry, but once again this strikes me as typical of Al Weiss' management or lack thereof.

It's not bad enough that upkeep at WDW resorts has fallen incredibly in the past decade, but now they'd like to make it even worse by getting rid of some of the few folks left that (tried) to keep the resorts looking pristine.

This shouldn't surprise me as about two years ago I remember walking through the lobby of the Boardwalk Inn aroud midnight and there was one woman screaming loudly into a cell phone in Spanish, wearing a polo shirt of some other company, while slamming a vacuum cleaner into the wood furniture. I thought how magical ... if you're staying at a Days Inn.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Re: (Not so) magical outsourcing ...

Thank you Disney for laying more people off for your own selfish ways during this time of crisis. I love how you treat people like trash. I now can't wait for you to go belly up due to your stupidity. IM SO EXCITED!!!

sarcastically speaking

• Disney Memory Maker

First of all, these are not housekeeping jobs. These are (quoting the orlando sentinel) "overnight cleaning jobs." Housekeeping (ie the people who clean the guest rooms) work in the daytime (especially around noontime) and are not the ones being outsourced. Overnight cleaning jobs will most likely be the backstage people (or the ones who clean the lobby/store/etc at night). 95% of guests will never even come in contact with them. As far as I'm concerned, if quality remains the same, no harm has been done.

They are also not laying people off. Once again, to quote the OS, "Employees will be offered positions that will guarantee their base pay is unchanged, the company said."

So like I said...no harm done!

BTW: If anyone wants to read the article, it can be found here.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    First of all, these are not housekeeping jobs. These are (quoting the orlando sentinel) "overnight cleaning jobs." Housekeeping (ie the people who clean the guest rooms) work in the daytime (especially around noontime) and are not the ones being outsourced. Overnight cleaning jobs will most likely be the backstage people (or the ones who clean the lobby/store/etc at night). 95% of guests will never even come in contact with them. As far as I'm concerned, if quality remains the same, no harm has been done.

They are also not laying people off. Once again, to quote the OS, "Employees will be offered positions that will guarantee their base pay is unchanged, the company said."

-Michael
    Oh okay.

First of all, I believe I said they are overnight jobs. And there are skeleton crews of housekeepers that work 24 hours a day (at least at the deluxe resorts). And if you read my example, these are NOT backstage positions. I don't consider resort public areas like a lobby to be backstage.

And whether quality remains the same isn't really the point. Disney has been outsourcing the magic left and right and the net results haven't been positive. But, again, you don't have the perspective to know a WDW when quality show, upkeep and exceeding guest expectations were the order of the day, Mike, I do.

So I'll go out on a limb of Pooh's new playground tree and say if it saves Disney $$$, it likely will affect cast and/or guests in a negative manner.

So like I said...no harm done!-Michael
    I NEVER said they were laying people off. It's disingenuous of you to suggest otherwise. But people will leave as a result of this. If someone has spent the past eight years working graveyard shift, and has their life/spouse/partner/children/etc ... in other words, their life, set up around a certain schedule, the fact Disney will suddenly let them work 7-3 may not allow them to keep their job. the effect is the same.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    But, again, you don't have the perspective to know a WDW when quality show, upkeep and exceeding guest expectations were the order of the day, Mike, I do.
    I'm not even going to bother in this thread.

I NEVER said they were laying people off. It's disingenuous of you to suggest otherwise.
    It's not always about you. I never said that you said that. I was referring to Disney Wrassler's post.

But people will leave as a result of this. If someone has spent the past eight years working graveyard shift, and has their life/spouse/partner/children/etc ... in other words, their life, set up around a certain schedule, the fact Disney will suddenly let them work 7-3 may not allow them to keep their job. the effect is the same.
    Disney did not have to do anything. Other companies may have just laid off the workers, but Disney is giving them a choice. And you know what, even without outsourcing, Disney may of had to eventually change shifts. What about when Disney introduced EMH. Some CMs have to work different hours now (maybe instead of 3-11, they'll have to work 5-3am. But did anyone complain about that. Shift changes happen in jobs.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Wouldn't it be scary if next they started outsourcing the overnight custodial crews in the parks?

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

-Michael
    OK.. I see your examples and clarifications, but the last sentence I have issue with. "No harm done!".

Actually, yes, Mike. Harm will be done to the current unionized worker. Unions provide at a minimum, a contract which stipulates what your job will consist of, and you are guaranteed a certain wage that has been agreed upon in a collective bargaining agreement with the Union and the Employer. Unions also typically provide benefits including Health, pension, and others.

Outsourcing this job to another company is not good for the current workers. These jobs will be outsourced to non-union companies. These companies typically pay less than a union rate, offer their employees no benefits. Disney will benefit in that they will not have to pay into any pension plans the union may have, and they can pay less money per hour to the non-union workers.

So, yes.. harm will be done. To the union workers. Workers who may have been members for many years providing a quality service.

• Disney Memory Maker

Yes, and I probably should have phrased that sentence better. What I meant is that no harm has been done to we, the guests. There will still be people doing the jobs, and the people who had the jobs may be working elsewhere. Will some of the workers get harmed in ways? Yes, probably. However, I still say that if quality remains the same, no harm has been done (from the resort guest's point of view).

-Michael

• Banned User

I gotta say... the overnight crews need to be Disney, not out-sourced. And the current overnight crews need better training. From what I've seen, the current overnight crews aren't doing the best job. I consider the overnight crews at the resorts just as important as the ones inside the parks. (Which aren't doing a great job either... I was at the MK yesterday, and there was cracked pavement everywhere around Tomorrowland. Yeah, a few here and there are fine, but this was every corner of every cement block for the entire bridge and well into Tomorrowland. That area desperately needs fixing. And yes, it's the overnight crews that do that. At the resorts, they need to dust better. And some hard-wood floors need to be totally re-done. They look like scum. I'm sorry, Disney is lacking in upkeep at WDW majorly. Don't believe me? Go to Tokyo. Where they actually care about the upkeep of pathways.

And give me a break about Al having anything to do with this. I highly doubt he's the reason this is happening.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Here's what I've gleaned from this thread:
    The outsourced jobs will probably continue to be done to the same standard.
    Guests will probably not notice anything different.
    The work will probably be done in a comparitively competent manner.
    The new workers will be non-union and will earn less.
    The unionized workers who demand more for the same work will be replaced with non-union workers who are willing to do the same job for less money.
    Disney will get the same service for less money.

Assuming that workers who don't pay union dues are capable of achieving the same quality of work as workers who do pay union dues... what's the problem?

Please show me where I've gone wrong here.

Is this a question of quality of workmanship... or a question of union membership?
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Banned User

The problem is that out-sourcing will prevent a fix in the training of workers in the future... as the current standards are far too low. I would re-train most of the current workers. Out-sourced workers Disney won't be able to train or do quality control like they can with workers in-house.

Outsourcing is evil. And the idea that having others coming in, who don't have any knowledge of Traditions and who don't have to live up to Disney's (diminished) standards, will result in no net loss of quality is ridiculous.

As to the walkways that Bill saw in the MK, that's just typical. WDW upkeep, especially at the MK, has become unrecognizable. Don't believe me. Go find yourself someone who worked at the MK anytime pre-95 and ask them. But, hey, maybe they can outsource the MK third shift too!