Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Why didn't Walt Disney World get the Harry Potter Attraction and IOA did?

Mr Eggz said it all.

Ultimately, Disney's Parks and Resorts Division is run by someone with the vision of a blind person.

Jay Rasulo is poison and until he resigns to spend more time with family (or maybe hit on male Imagineers?) things aren't getting better.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz View Post
    Or American Idol for that matter.

Jay Rasulo thinks that a brand is all that matters (not that he understands how to build one). He'd rather pay a small price tag for a brand like American Idol than a large price tag for a brand like Harry Potter. He has no understanding that one works better in a theme park environment than another...because he has no love for, or interest in, theme parks. In his Strat Planning days he was very open about that.

He lobbied against Indiana Jones Adventure and Splash Mountain when he was a strat planner. He has NEVER been in favor of large investments in the parks (only DVC and Cruise Line). If he can't charge a specific price for something, he doesn't like paying for it. Enhancing existing parks does not really fit with his way of thinking. Everest was approved by Eisner and Staggs while he was still in Paris. The only big ticket park improvement he has ever approved was for DCA, and that was done for political reasons. He saw the new CEO Iger (at the time) wanted it, so he went with the flow.
    I don't understand why Lasseter doesn't take a stronger stance against him. He is essentially a higher ranking officer than rasolu and more beloved both inside and outside the company. If IGer wants to save money he should fire Rasolu and stop giving him a big fat salary for being nothing but trouble for the parks & resorts.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyDishwasher View Post
    Disney still shows the HP films on several of its television stations (Disney Channel, ABC Family, and ABC are the 3 that immediately jump to mind). Television, Theme Park, Music, Character, and general Movie rights are all different beings that cost different amounts.
    True. As an opposite example, "The Incredibles" is shown on NBC.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    I don't understand why Lasseter doesn't take a stronger stance against him. He is essentially a higher ranking officer than rasolu and more beloved both inside and outside the company. If IGer wants to save money he should fire Rasolu and stop giving him a big fat salary for being nothing but trouble for the parks & resorts.
    My guess would be that the numbers have been doing well and that puts whomever wants Rasulo gone in a bind. He may not be a Disney-guy, but there are plenty of sharp pencil boys who have the numbers to show that Rasulo is "good" at his job.

Blog Entries

Correct, Iger isn't really a parks guy either. His first love was television. He just wanted to be the head of ABC. So Iger is more concerned with what the bottom line is looking like and he's doing well with that. Unfortunately you need someone who's concerned with the experience as well as the bottom line. Iger would make a great version of Roy, he just needs a Walt in charge to. If Iger and Lasseter could ever become #1 and #2 we might just have that.

The problem is, as others have said, the numbers have been doing extremely well and Rasulo can claim its from his one park promotion. Its going to take the numbers tanking dramatically for any change to happen. Unfortunately for that to happen the parks will have to get to a point of disrepair or staleness as WDW1974 likes to call it, where it'll take a while to repair the damage. We need to somehow rescue the parks from the pencil pushers and give it back to the dreamers. That's what made them successful in the beginning. They were built from a dream, not from a desire for fiscal success.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
    Lasseter isn't higher ranking than Rasulo. And Lasseter's first priority is animation. The more money the animated films make, the more clout Lasseter will have. Buy more tickets to "Bolt." Buy more DVDs of "Tinkerbell" and "Wall-E." That's the only way Lasseter will have the ability to exert more influence in other parts of the company. The under-performance of "Bolt" so far doesn't really help things.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

From what I've heard and read, it came down to:
    1 - JK Rowling is hard to work with, but on demands and cost
    2 - Cost vs. benefit. The Mouse is a good negotiator and doesn't like to over pay. Only time will tell if this was a smart move for Universal.
    Check out my free high resolution Disney World pictures and Disney World Vacation site.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Harry Potter seems a better fit at Universal. You're dealing with a wizard environment as opposed to a fairy tale enviroment. Having two castles in one Disney resort would seem a bit odd wouldnt it? I dunno where HP wouldve fitted into WDW anyway. Chances are very likely they wouldve dumped it into Hollywood Studios...
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12