Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lack of Ride Specific Merch

I know we have gotten used to getting off many of the rides only to be corralled into gift shops. While Pirates, Everest, Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, and Rock N' Roller Coaster have merchandise pushing the rides, I was honestly very surprised at my last visit that there was "no Space Mountain merchandise available in the parks" according to the CM I spoke with right at that local gift shop. I know that MC poster Tyrone Shoelaces brought the lack of Haunted Mansion merch up in another post.

Does this surprise anyone else? I remember being a kid in the days when there was only Magic Kingdom and Epcot (Center). Many rides and attractions had merchandise available. There were purple stuffed Figments of all sizes around Journey into Imagination, Space Mountain shirts/hats, and likely much more.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Lack of Ride Specific Merch

Disney needs to make these products available. I went to a Disney Store in the mall and asked for Ride Merchandise. I was told they are only allowed to sell movie and character merchandise, not for rides in the park.

So basically they are selling loads of crap inside the parks that I could get at just about any mall. We've been asking for years for Disney to produce even just shirts that have ride posters on them. I just Disney thinks this stuff won't sell in mass quantity. I'd like to disagree.

Welcome to MiceChat Maddog!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

With the Disney Stores back in Disney ownership, perhaps they might start carrying ride merchandise. BUT that is a BIG MAYBE, only because Disney Store cut the collectables type merchandise, even before the stores were sold to the Childrens Place.

The Disney Stores did carry a couple things for WDW's 25th anniversary, Disney companies 75th, and even a line of trinket boxes theme to Disney rides under the Disney Gallery name (Tea Cups, Rocket Jets, Dumbo), so Disney rides are not out of the realm of possibility, just unlikely. Really, the Disney Store are lucky enough to keep a fairly wide variety of character merchandise of Disney classic characters. And they have done an ok job of merchandise of new characters in new Disney movies.

As for Disney Ride specific merchandise, they have really ALWAYS been lacking in this respect. You just have to keep you eyes open for that type of merchandise, and not all of it is inexpensive. Best bet for ride specific merchandise is when an attraction is brand new, or has just opened. Toy Story Midway Mania did get a bit of Merchandise when it opened, from T-shirts, "toothpick holders", a couple different styles of beverage cups/glasses, toy gun and key chain that looks like the gun used on TSMM. And don't forget the popcorn buckets, they had TSMM. I'm sure WDW got similar merchandise.

Don't forget the pins! There are oftentimes pins from a variety of Disney rides and attractions.

Don't forget to look in the toy section for various ride merchandise. A couple years ago, Disney offered toy sized ride vehicles for the majority of the most memorable attractions. Small little collectable packets include characters AND ride vehicles. Country Bears had a whole line of small plush characters from the attraction, as did Small World. Buzz Lightyear still has the toy guns similar to those on the ride. OH! There is a Monorail toy that is really cool and really runs on a monorail!, and of course a toy train, and a Toy Castle.

Space Mt at DL has a lack of Merchandise, too, although a new picture frame came out when Space in DL re-opened during the 50th. Other than poster, I haven't see to much merchandise for Space, either.

The there is a wide variety of upscale merchandise, some which is based on attractions, some rides are done by Armani, and Olszewski has done miniatures of a few attractions, small stretching portrait (from HM) boxes, too. Walt Disney Classic's collection has done some things for the Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and even Small World. Disneyland has also carried Big Figures which have included various attractions, from Adventureland, Frontierland, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, and even Splash Mt, I'm not sure if WDW has had similar Big Figures. And of course the Small prints of the attraction posters.

Look for merchandise for special events too, WDW had one for Pirates not too long ago, and the Disneyana Convention used to have some. Now that Disney isn't doing a Disneyana anymore, you might want to check for any Disneyana Sales, or another club to check is the NFFC (National Fantasy Fan Club) which is a Disney Fan Club. They host a couple of Disneyana Sales each year in Anaheim, I'm not sure if the host them in Florida, but I think it's a good possibility - at those sales, a WIDE variey of merchants sell a variety of Disney Products from around the world, and you should be able to find some attraction merchandise, there.

It is troubling that Disney does not take more advantage of their properties. I was thinking how underutilized their Toon Disney (Disney Afternoon) brands were. Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gargoyles, Gummi Bears, all tossed aside into DVD bargain bins. The same with their ride's. Luckily I live near a outlet. I was doing some Christmas Shopping and was suprised to see a lot of Midway Mania shirts, none in my size of course. Oh well.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm just glad those Disney afternoon properties were made available on DVD! Can you imagine if they weren't?? i'd be frustrated.

And Gargoyles and Darkwing Duck are getting the high-end collectible treatment in 2009 with some maquettes.

But yah, Disney needs to realize that what makes Disneyland and Walt Disney World strike such an amazing chord with guests are the memorable rides.

Take a look at G.I.Joe. That's a property with action figures and vehicles. Would kids NOT buy a dinosaur ride vehicle if their action figures fit inside of it? I know I certainly would!

And that's another problem with their thinking. Their merchandise strategy is: AIM FOR THE KIDS. Which means all the toys are cheap and boring. The best thing they got going for them are the die-cast vehicles but they even discontinued those.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Shablagoo!

We still really need that Vol 2 Season 2 of Gargoyles. Once that gets out I will be happy.

Now for ride merch, I'd love to see more T-shirts. Imagine a t-shirt line with characters and sayings from the rides. For example, a shirt with POTC's redhead that says "we Wants the Redhead!" or a Hitchhiking Ghost shirt with 'going our way?'
    Last edited by Melonballer; 12-05-2008 at 01:08 AM.

• Mostly Harmless.

I thought there was a HM gift shop on the corner between HM and Fantasyland... or am I just in Fantasyland right now?
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastierox View Post
    I thought there was a HM gift shop on the corner between HM and Fantasyland... or am I just in Fantasyland right now?
    I believe the shop you are thinking of sells kitchen items, candles and coffee mugs. The Haunted Mansion has a lame little cart outside the gates that offers HM merchandise on one side and Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise on the other side. It's pretty sad that Disney cannot fill up one merchandise cart with HM items.

• Disneyholic

Some of it is seasonal, The Smucker's shop sometimes has HM themed merch around the MNSSHP/Haloween times. Space Mountain used to have ID Badges on sale but I didn't notice them last visit there. Splash Mountain's merch has been more or less the same for years and I have to wonder if it's just a matter of Disney buying warehouses full of T-Shirts and towels for it and they have just not sold out of them yet... The store's main purpose seems to be to sell photos and not much else, The briar patch has pretty much gone generic Disney Merch across the way.

I really miss the days when each shop was unique and had different merch in it, I think it caused more people to linger longer in the shops and kept the lines down a bit. (I can fondly remember back in the ticket book days Dad and I would ride the rides, Mom would explore all the shops...thus cutting the line down by 1) Now it's basically the same merch in each shop, with little variation and most if not all of it is available at World of Disney in DTD where you can get in for free AND get that 10% discount with the Disney Visa Card I find myself spending less and less time looking in the shops every year when in the parks. Which many folks in the know also do, which in turn hurt's WDW since they have a break even point based on each guest spending a specific ammount in the parks each day to cover operations costs. (All that free Disney transportation for example...)

Now that said there are a few noticeable exceptions outside of the MK, which I think is by far the worst offender... In DHS the back lot store, Tatooine Traders, and Muppet Stores have some interesting finds. Epcot and AK are still offer some unique shopping options, although generic merch is creeping in, not nearly as bad as the MK. The only thing I have come up with to explain it is that since the MK is the most popular park on the property Disney doesn't feel the need to put the effort into having the boutique stores it used to...
    Last edited by Jerren; 12-05-2008 at 08:13 AM.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• I was deleted.

The parks and resorts seem to be a sensible place for attraction and park-specific merchandise to be located over the stores. Yes, it would be fun to have it in The Disney Store as well, but how would it make them unique? They always strive to make their product different than others and while that would be one way to do it, not all guests have experienced that attraction as they can characters, films, etc.

While you could have missed Space Mountain merchandise, just yesterday I saw quite an abundant amount of Haunted Mansion Merchandise. There are quite a few attractions that have seemed to up their amounts of attraction merchandise, not to mention the increase in park-specific merchandise as well. What it comes down to is the location that you look for it at. While many of the stores tend to feature the same products, many are specialty/attraction exit stores. Attractions with their own merchandise would include:

• Toy Story Midway Mania!
    • Splash Mountain
    • Haunted Mansion
    • Star Tours
    • Journey into Imagination with Figment
    • Soarin'
    • Mission : Space
    • Test Track
    • Grand Fiesta Tour
    • Spaceship Earth
    • Tower of Terror
    • Rock 'n' Roller Coaster
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Expedition Everest
    • Dinosaur

And I'm probably missing quite a few. Plus you can't forget the increase of Build Your Own merchandise at Walt Disney World, including the new Build a Tee at Downtown Disney.

• Inappropriate

what i really would like is AREA-specific shops and merchandise. It seems like all the gift shops are slowly becoming all the same.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

This is why I am a pin collector

There is a huge grip of Ride themed pins.

• Seasick

It saddens me that pins are the best, and in some case only, way to get ride-specific merchandise. Personally, I have a lot of old ride specific keychains, and I wish they'd bring these back.

And for sure, every store feels the same now. It can be convenient, but I think that having stores with a focus on a smaller selection of appropriate merchandise would make that merchandise seem more special and appealing to buy. It would for me at least.

Looking at BigPigletFan's list, I'm actually surprised that many rides have their own merch. The focus appears to be on newer attractions.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Krankenstein View Post
    I believe the shop you are thinking of sells kitchen items, candles and coffee mugs. The Haunted Mansion has a lame little cart outside the gates that offers HM merchandise on one side and Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise on the other side. It's pretty sad that Disney cannot fill up one merchandise cart with HM items.
    Oh that's right... Wasn't there. at one time, HM stuff in there. Maybe I'm just in my dream MK. I love HM stuff and wish there was more of it.
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Inappropriate

I want a shirt that says "I survived... The TTA!!!" Or "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow!" with Rover giving a thumbs up. Or a Mad Tea Party shirt with fake vomit on it. I don't ask for much

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast