Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EPCOT Center

EPCOT Center

I just wanted to ask, who among you folks have always loved Epcot more than any other park? Who remembers the older Epcot when rides like Horizons, World of Motion and The Living Seas were still around? Also, how old are you? I wanna know who the youngest people are that remember the older rides. I'm 23 and my two favorite rides as a kid were SSE and Horizons. But I sincerely miss the Dreamseeker and Seabase Alpha!
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

• Inappropriate

Re: EPCOT Center

I'm 23. the first time I went to Epcot, Horizons was still alive and well. But i wasn't the Disney enthusiast i am now, and i never rode it. Next time I went, Mission Space moved in (and I can't stop riding it.) The only times I visited the Living Seas was after the demise of the sea cabs, so I can't judge it fully. But i liked the movie, hated hated hated the Hydrolators. I also had the fortune of going into the Wonders of Life once. After riding Body Wars, I never wanted to go back into Wonders of Life. Only after it closed did I learn that there were other things to do in there that I might have liked.
    As far as World Showcase goes, the only thing I've ever seen really change was El Rio del Tiempo. And I say good riddance. As much as I actually liked it, The Gran Fiesta Tour owns in so many ways.
    Now for a list of things I never got to see but would like to have:
    World of Motion (although I do like Test Track a lot.)
    The original Universe of Energy (again, love the one currently in place.)
    The entire 2nd floor of the Imagination pavilion.
    The entrance to the park without epic headstones.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Epcot wasn't my favorite as a child but it definitely is as an adult. I also think that some of the changes that have been made are for the better. My daughter also loves it because it contains her favorite rides, Mission:Space and Test Track. And then it is home to my favorite event in any WDW park, Epcot Food and Wine Festival.

I miss many things, Journey Into Imagination, the rainbow tunnel, Horizons etc.. but Spaceship Earth has always been, by far my favorite attraction anywhere. I just love the incorporation of history, information, its just an excellent break to the day too!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm 34 and my first visit to EPCOT was in 1987 when I was 12. Ever since then it's been my favorite park at WDW. I'm one of those dorks that likes the "Edutainment" concept. Have fun but learn a thing or two while you're at it. My all-time favorite dark ride has to be the original Journey Into Imagination. It was just all kinds of awesome. Same goes for the old Image Works upstairs. I could easily spend hours up there. The rainbow tunnel was the coolest thing ever back then. I miss it so. I just keep hoping the rumors I hear now and then of returning the Imagination pavilion to its former glory pan out one day.

I wasn't a huge fan of Horizons, but I did like it quite a bit. I loved World of Motion though. It was so cool after loading to ride outside over the building entrance before going into the first main show scene. It was probably my 2nd favorite ride at EPCOT. Plus the Bird and Robot show was bizarre but entertaining.

I also loved Communicore. Sure it got outdated fast, but that's what made it fun. I usually skip Innoventions unless I want to check out whatever the newest exhibit is at the time.

At least the big ugly wand is finally gone!

Man I feel old.

I'm right ther with you on the "edutainment". But Horizons was my favorite. I don't think I remember communicare at all. I was too young. And I also loved the exit of World of Motion. I remember some of the crazy models that they had. I was so young last time I rade World of Motion! I must have been like eight!

Hey, you may be old, but you saw Epcot in 1987! That is pretty nifty.
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by FutureProbeMe View Post
    I just wanted to ask, who among you folks have always loved Epcot more than any other park? Who remembers the older Epcot when rides like Horizons, World of Motion and The Living Seas were still around? Also, how old are you? I wanna know who the youngest people are that remember the older rides. I'm 23 and my two favorite rides as a kid were SSE and Horizons. But I sincerely miss the Dreamseeker and Seabase Alpha!
    (THANK YOU! for using the proper name for the park in your headline, without regards to what the management at WDW cares to call this park now a days)

Well.. I have been visiting EPCOT Center since weeks before the grand opening, since I was a CM during some preview days in early Sept 1982, so yes, I do miss the old EPCOT offernings and original themes of the rides. Personally, I do not love EPCOT more than any other park (for me, that honor goes to Tokyo DisneySea) but I do love the park as it has special meaning for me since I was there from the very beginning.

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Personally, I do not love EPCOT more than any other park (for me, that honor goes to Tokyo DisneySea)

Get out! Really?? Who knew? Hahaha, nah I'm just messing with ya. But color me jealous that you were there for Epcot since the beginning.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

My first trip was in June of 1982.... yes that was before it opened I was 24 then, and on my "honeymoon". The park wasn't open, but you could ride the monorail over and take a look. My wife was getting sick riding the monorail we went back and forth so many times. Even then I knew it would be the park I would always like the best.

I do wish they would stay ahead of technology like the park was suppose to be done. Too bad "money" is such a big deal

• Minion

I'm 45 years old.

Epcot was the first Disney park I ever visited back in early 1994 at the ripe young age of 31 (yeah, I got a very late start in life with Disney) and that visit forever changed my perception of what Disney was all about, and in many ways, changed my life. To this day, Epcot is still my favorite Park.

Rode Horizons once on that 1994 trip and remember it like yesterday. To leave that sort of long lasting impression, to me, speaks volumes about what a fantastic job Disney did imagineering that ride! Mission: Space is great, too, just thought Horizons was more "Disney".

Do remember the old pre-Nemo Living Seas and that, too, was a fantastic attraction. To this day, I still like Living Seas and don't mind the Nemo overlay at all.

Barely remember World of Motion. Wasn't it the same type of ride as Horizons or SSE in the sense that it was slower and had cool dioramas and AA's?

Talking Re: EPCOT Center

I am 25 years old and have always been a classic EPCOT Center fan. As a kid, it was always the park I wanted to go to first. I have been on all the classics (Horizons, World Of Motion, etc.) numerous times and all of those rides are among my favorites. However, my two very favorite attractions that are no longer around are Journey Into Imagination and Kitchen Kabaret. Every visit to WDW would not be complete without multiple viewings of these attractions.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Pacha View Post
    Barely remember World of Motion. Wasn't it the same type of ride as Horizons or SSE in the sense that it was slower and had cool dioramas and AA's?
    Indeed it was!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=GUBxWlni1Dw

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FutureProbeMe View Post
    Dreamseeker
    You mean Dreamfinder?

I'm 29 and I remember all of original EPCOT vividly. World of Motion, Horizons, SSE, the Land, and Journey into Imagination are all missed sorely. Also missed are Communicore and the Centorium. I miss the second floor of the Centorium!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Yes. Indeed, I did mean to say DreamFinder.

• Senior Minion

I'm 33 and my first visit was in 1989, I was 13. My favorite park is and probably will always remain DL as it's the park I grew up with, but I definitely loved classic Epcot Center and was by far my favortite park on my first trip to WDW. As a DL fan I was unimpressed by MK, but I still remember all those Epcot rides fondly from that trip. I wish I had more chances to ride them, but I guess in retrospect I'm happy that I got to experience them all at an age where I can remember much of the experience.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Get out! Really?? Who knew? Hahaha, nah I'm just messing with ya. But color me jealous that you were there for Epcot since the beginning.
    You should know by now it is not a good idea to mess up with me, Pizzaslacks.
    I am 23
    Really?? Get out!!! I would have guessed 8 yrs old tops! But color me old enough to ... actually I am not jealous of you at all. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast