Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WALT DISNEY(The Man) vs. current Walt Disney World Management

I have also posted this under Kevin Yees "Bad for the Brand" article.

I'm sure that if Walt were still around, there would be some initiatives to keep the turnstiles turning. However, I firmly believe that the guest experience would not suffer under such conditions.

I find it amazing how many people have the "Oh Well" syndrome when it comes to Disney and it's offerings. For those who were not fortunate enough to be alive at the same time as Walt, here are some quick facts about his passion:

1) Walt's studio was the first to add sound to a cartoon short. HMMM...Wonder why he spent so much money to do that????
    2) Walt's studio was the first to add color to it's cartoon shorts. HMMM...Again, wonder why he spent so much money to do that????
    3) Walt's studio was the first to release a full length animated feature....HMMM...This cost lots of dollars! Wonder why????
    4) Walt completely transformed our perception of "fun parks"...Lots of dollars! Wonder why????
    5) Walt had all his "Wonderful World of Disney" TV shows filmed in color when almost everyone owned black and white TVs. Lots of dollars....Wonder why????

Anybody get where I'm going with this??? Walt was all about quality and innovation. Only once did he have to rest on his laurels a bit and that was during WWII. But not for very long. Cinderella was started at the studio shortly after the war ended and was released in 1950.

For the record: During the depression years Walt released or was working on five animated classics that we all know today. Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi and Dumbo. Each of these films had a price tag of 1.5 Million dollars or more. Only Snow White and Dumbo made money on the first release. Walt took initial losses on Fantasia, Bambi and Pinocchio. He also constructed the first animation studio (employing over 1,000 individuals) in Hollywood during this same time.

Wonder what people would think of such a man today? Off his rocker? Not playing with a full deck? Lights on but nobody's home? Probably...But hey! That's what they thought of him back then too.

Walt's drive was to create the ultimate brand. Walt commented to one of his imagineers, "Walt Disney is a thing. An image that people have in their minds. And I spent my whole life building it."

And for those of you that are satisfied with current managements approach to its theme park business. Walt did not believe in slowing down in any type of economy. From Disneyland's opening in 1955 with 18 attractions here is a year by year look at all the activity that went on. Be warned, the list is long but it shows just how much Walt believed that by continually bringing new and exciting experiences to his audience, the money would continue to flow!!!!

The timeline starts at the opening of Disneyland through 1967 (Right after Walt's death.) In this time frame Walt oversaw the following:

Disneyland added or improved 97 Attractions, Shows and Exhibits during this time and closed 48 Attractions, Shows and Exhibits. Not to mention the starting phase of what would later become Walt Disney World and all the other activities within the company. Extremely impressive compared with todays standards!

And remember all this was done in just ONE park!!!
    I challenge current Walt Disney World "MAGIC KINGDOM" Management to top this!!!!!

July 17 1955 Disneyland Opens at a cost of $17 million
    Attractions included:

Main Street USA
    - Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad, Two Disneyland steam trains (C.K. Holiday and E.P. Ripley) (Opened July)
    - Main Street Railroad Station (Opened July)
    - Horse Drawn Street Cars (Opened July)
    - Horse Drawn Fire Wagon (Opened July, Closed August 1960)
    - Main Street Cinema (Opened July)
    - Horse Drawn Surreys (Opened, Closed January 1971)
    - Main Street Penny Arcade (Opened July)
    - Main Street Shooting Gallery (Opened July, Closed January 1962)
    Adventureland

- Jungle Cruise (Opened July)

Fantasyland

- King Arthur Carousel (Opened July)
    - Peter Pan Flight (Opened July)
    - Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride (Opened July)
    - Canal Boats of the World (Opened July, Closed September 1955)
    - Snow White’s Adventures (Opened July)
    - Casey Jr. Circus Train (Opened July)
    - Dumbo the Flying Elephant (Opened August)
    - Mickey Mouse Club Theater (Opened August, Closed January 1964)
    - Mickey Mouse Club Circus (Opened November, Closed January 1956)
    - Mad Tea Party (Opened July)
    Frontierland
    - Stage Coach (Opened July, Closed February 1956)
    - Mule Pack (Opened July, Closed February 1956)
    - Mark Twain Riverboat (Opened July)
    - Golden Horseshoe Review (Opened July)
    - Davy Crockett Museum (Opened July, Closed December 1955)
    - Conestoga Wagons (Opened August, Closed September 1959)
    - Mike Fink Keel Boats (Opened December)
    - Indian Village (Opened July, Closed January 1956)
    - Miniature Horse Corral (Opened July, Closed July 1957)
    - Frontierland Railroad Station (Opened July)
    Tomorrowland
    - Tomorrowland Autopia (Opened July)
    - Space Station X-1 (Opened July, Closed January 1958)
    - Cinerama USA (360 degree film, A Tour of the West) (Closed January 1960)
    - Monsanto Hall of Chemistry (Opened July, Closed September 1966)
    - Rocket to the Moon (Opened July, Closed September 1966)
    - Moonliner (Opened July, Closed September 1966)
    - Clock of the World (Opened July, Closed September 1966)
    - The World Beneath Us (Opened July, Closed December 1959)
    - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Opened August, Closed August 1966)
    - Aluminum Hall of Fame (Opened December, Closed July 1960)
    - Thimble Drome Flight Circle (Opened September, Closed January 1966)
    - Hobbyland (Opened September, Closed January 1966)
    - Dateline Disneyland airs July 17th
    - Disneyland opens to the public on July 18th
    - Disneyland opens to the public with admission costing just $1. Cost of attractions ranged from 10 to 35 cents.
    - September 8, 1955 Elsa Marquez one millionth visitor
    - Fantasy in the Sky added 1956
    - Disneyland Hotel Opens October
    - Ticket books are first available containing A, B and C tickets (October)

1956:
    - Astro Jets (Opened March 1956, Closed August 1964)
    - Bathroom of Tomorrow (Opened April 1956, Closed August 1960)
    - Storybook Land Canal Boats (Opened June 1956)
    - Tom Sawyers Island (Opened June 1956)
    - Fort Wilderness (Opened June 1956)
    - Tom Sawyer Islands Rafts (Opened June 1956)
    - Skyway to Tomorrowland and Skyway to Fantasyland (Opened June 1956)
    - Horseless Carriages (red and yellow) (Opened May 1956)
    - Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules (Opened June 1956, Closed October 1959)
    - Rainbow Mountain Stage Coach (Opened June 1956, Closed September 1959)
    - Rainbow Caverns Mine Train (Opened July 1956, Closed October 1959)
    - Main Street Omnibus (Opened August 1956)
    - Indian Village (Opened July 1956)
    - Indian War Canoes (Opened July 1956)
    - Junior Autopia. (Opened July 1956, Closed December 1958)
    - Kelley’s Jungle Killers (Opened February 1956, Closed September 1956)
    - Color Gallery (Opened March 1956, Closed January 1963)
    - Tom and Huck’s Treehouse (Opened June 1956)
    - Phantom Boats (Opened July 1956, Closed October 1956)
    - Mineral Hall (Opened July 1956, Closed December 1962)
    - Fantasyland Theater (Opened August 1956)
    - Fantasyland Railroad Station opens
    - D tickets are added (January)
    1957:
    - Midget Autopia (Opened April, Closed April 1966)
    - Sleeping Beauty Castle (walk through) (Opened April)
    - Holidayland (Opened June, Closed January 1961)
    - Monsanto House of the Future (Opened June, Closed December 1967)
    - Viewliner (Opened June, Closed September 1958)
    - Motor Boat Cruise (Opened June)
    - Indian Village Rafts (Opened July)
    - Frontierland Shooting Gallery. (Opened July)
    - Leigh Woolfender is 10 millionth guest on December 31

1958:
    - Grand Canyon Diorama (Opened March)
    - Alice in Wonderland (Opened June)
    - Columbia Sailing Ship (Opened June)
    - Motorized Main Street Fire Truck (Opened August)
    - Satellite View of America (Opened January, Closed February 1960)
    - Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad adds Fred Gurley Engine. March 28th
    - Tomorrowland Railroad Station
    - Last episode of "Disneyland" television show airs (September 3rd)
    - ABC changes the name of Disney's TV show from "Disneyland" to "Walt Disney Presents".
    - First year Candlelight Procession (December)
    - Disneyland Kennel Opens (January 18th)
    - Milt Albright founds the Magic Kingdom Club
    1959:
    - Fantasyland Autopia (Opened June)
    - Submarine Voyage (Opened June)
    - Disneyland-Alweg Monorail System, Mark I Train on a .8 mile track around
    Tomorrowland (Opened June 14th)
    - Matterhorn Bobsleds (Opened June)
    - Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad adds Ernest S. Marsh Engine. July 25th
    - Soviet Premier Nikita Krushchev is denied permission to visit Disneyland, sparking an international incident.
    - E-tickets added to ticket book (June)
    - Disneyland welcomes its 15 millionth guest.
    - The "Mickey Mouse Club" TV show is cancelled.
    1960:
    - Main Street Electric Cars
    - Art of Animation Exhibit (Opened May, Closed September 1966)
    - Mine Train Through Nature’s Wonderland (Opened May)
    - Skull Rock (Opened December)
    - Pirate’s Cove (Opened December)
    - New Cinerama Film (America the Beautiful). (Opened July, Closed June 1967)
    - Catfish Cove (Opened January, Closed January 1964)
    - Pack Mules Through Nature’s Wonderland (Opened June)
    - Disney sues the ABC TV network for the right to take their shows elsewhere, and buys ABC's one-third interest in Disneyland for $7.5 million.
    - Disneyland Welcomes 20 millionth guest.
    1961:
    - Snow White Grotto and Wishing Well (Opened March)
    - Debut of the Mark II Monorail Extended track length to 2.5 miles, Monorail to the
    Disneyland Hotel (June) Specs: 112 FT., 4 Car, 108 Person Seating Capacity
    - Flying Saucers (Opened August, Closed September 1966)
    - Babes in Toyland Exhibit (Opened December, Closed September 1963)
    - Disney's TV show changes names from "Walt Disney Presents" to "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" and debuts in color on NBC. (September 24)
    - First all night grad night party for High School Graduates is held in June.
    - 25 Millionth Guest welcomed to Disneyland, Dr. Glenn C. Franklin on April 19th.
    - Tinkerbell has her first flight at Disneyland
    1962:
    - Safari Shooting Gallery (Opened June)
    - Adventureland Shooting Gallery (Opened January, Closed November 1969)
    - Indian Village (Expansion)
    - Jungle Cruise (New scenes added) A group of Audio-Animatronics elephants in the Elephant Bathing Pool are added to the Jungle Cruise at Disneyland.
    - Swiss Family Tree House. (Opened November)
    - ”Disneyland After Dark” airs on national TV April 15th
    - “Meet Me at Disneyland” first airs on national TV June 9th, Last show September 8th
    1963:
    - Enchanted Tiki Room (Introduction of Audio-Animatronics) (Opened June 23rd)
    - Mickey Mouse Club Headquarters (Opened January, Closed January 1964)
    - First year for Parade of Toys during the Christmas holiday season.
    - Disneyland showcases its first “Cavalcade of Big Bands”
    1964:
    - Columbia Sailing Ship (Opened February)
    - Tomorrowland Jets (Opened August, Closed September 1966)
    - Jungle Cruise (New scenes added).
    - The New York World's Fair opens. Walt Disney's WED company constructed pavilions for: Ford ("Magic Skyway"); General Electric ("Progressland"); the state of Illinois ("Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln") and Pepsi-Cola ("It's a Small World"). (April 22)
    - Disneyland Goes to the World’s Fair, airs for the first time on The Wonderful World of Color May 17th.

- Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (Transplanted from the 1964-65 World’s Fair in New York. (Opened July)
    - Fashions and Fabrics Through the Ages (Opened March, Closed December 1965)
    - First Disneyland Ambassador to the World selected in 1964, begins her duties (Julie Reihm)
    - The 50 millionth guest is welcomed at Disneyland, Mary Adams on August 12th.
    - "The Disneyland Tenth Anniversary Show" airs on national TV January 3rd

1966:
    - “it’s a small world” (Opened May)
    - Primeval World Diorama (Opened July)
    - Fort Wilderness (Opened June)
    - New Orleans Square (Walt Dedicated the first new land to open since Disneyland’s opening in 1955 in July, at a cost of 18 million dollars).
    - "Disneyland Around the Seasons" airs on national TV December 18th
    - Walter Elias Disney, dies of cancer at 9:35 AM December 15, at the age of 65. He had been recovering from surgery a month earlier to remove one of his lungs. Roy Disney, his brother, takes over the Disney corporation.
    1967:
    - Pirates of the Caribbean (Opened March 18th)
    - Circle Vision Featuring America the Beautiful (Opened June)
    - Carousel of Progress (Opened July)
    - PeopleMover (Opened July)
    - Rocket Jets (Opened July)
    - Flight to the Moon (Opened August)
    - Adventures through Inner Space (Opened August)
    - Alpine Gardens (Opened December)
    - Club 33 (Private club) opens in New Orleans Square
    - In July, The all new Tomorrowland was dedicated, at a cost of 23 million dollars. It was dubbed “A World on the Move”
    !!!!

In conclusion, current Disney management lacks the fire and passion that was WALT DISNEY!!! They just don't get it!!!!!!
    Last edited by Lightning509s; 12-16-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Close to everything...But away from it all.

Re: WALT DISNEY(The Man) vs. current Walt Disney World Management

Wow, a lot of reasearch went into this. I agree that, to an extent, the parks can lack. They are more amazing and real and magical and awesome than most parks. I think Walt would also be rather angry if he found out the amount charged for a bottle of water. The prices help make the magic of a disappearing bank account. YIPEE!!!!
    To all who come to this happy place, WELCOME!

Disney: It's not an obsession... It's a passion
    Disney Movies Owned: 87
    # Times to Disneyland: 17
    Being a Member on MiceChat: Priceless

There are some things money can't buy, for everything else there's Disney Dollars.

First, thank you for putting in the work to compile this list. It is amazing what the man did. However, I do think you have to understand that Walt Disney was unique. Just as Mozart or Einstine or Di Vinci. Some individuals are born with a talent that can not be figured out or taught.

If you look at what Disney Theme Parks and Resorts has grown into, I think you need to give credit to Disney Management also. While I do think there are things they have done that causes Walt to spin in his grave, namely the Dino-rama in WDW and the boardwalk area in DCA. Fromw what I've read Walt hated those midway type rides.

I also think Walt would be very unhappy with all the sequels to movies. But that is another area of The Disney Corp.

In todays world cost has a much bigger impact on a company than it did in Walts time. I think Walk would be very impressed with the technology that has created some very popular attractions. Such as Tower of Terror and Mission Space. I think Walt would love Splash Mountain.

There will never be another Walt Disney. We have to accept that and understand that the bar he placed began at a very high level. I think todays Disney tries to met that bar and raise it.

What is important is that the Walt Disney striving for new ideas continues. It won't continue at the pace Walt set, but it will continue. The parks are still very clean. It Cast Members are super. You still have fun with your family at a Disney Park. Isn't that really what Walt wanted?

As for Disney Management, Every trip to WDW I take when I get back I write a letter to the President of Walt Disney World. I mention the good things that I found and the things that I did not like or upset me. In every case I have received a call back from the Executive Offices acknowledging my letter and wanting to discuss what I wrote. I find this a very positive interest from Management. This past November I was in WDW at the Magic Kingdom. I had the pleasure of meeting the Magic Kingdom Operations Manager. We talked a bit and then he had to go and I watched him. The reason being is he was carrying one of those trash grabbers. As he walked down Mainstreet he was picking up any trash he found. Now I ask you, how many Managers do you know that would do that other than at a Disney Park.

John

• Why can't you tune a fish

Putting on my flame proof pants now.

While I respect Walt Disney, and there is no denying the many innovations he spearheaded, there were a lot of things he did for money and profit.

It seems a lot of people have made him out to be some sort of saintly "damn he cost, I am going to do it all for my guests" type person. While he did realize that quality buys loyality, he was also a businessman.

I just find it funny when people make statements that Walt would be spinning in his grave, or that Walt would have done it differently, or that it's not true to Walt's dream. Last I checked, nobody is in psychic communication with Walt

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdanedaddy View Post

There will never be another Walt Disney. We have to accept that and understand that the bar he placed began at a very high level. I think todays Disney tries to met that bar and raise it.
    True. Walt was a unique amazing man.

But if you believe the Disney Co of today tries to meet his standards and go higher, I have to wonder if you've been inhaling too much pixie dust.

They look to cut everything that makes Disney, Disney. Quality has fallen across the board at WDW so much over the last decade to be laughable.

If you took someone who last visited WDW in say 1988 and dropped them into the MK or EC they'd likely think they had entered a Bizarro Disney World.

There's not one key area that hasn't fallen considerably and the people entrusted with Disney's Legacy know what they are doing.

It's all sickening really. Sorry, I can't share your opinion because I have lived WDW since 1974 and I am in the process of planning a holiday trip to Las Vegas instead of WDW because I can't stomach the WalMarting anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatdanedaddy View Post
    What is important is that the Walt Disney striving for new ideas continues. It won't continue at the pace Walt set, but it will continue. The parks are still very clean. It Cast Members are super. You still have fun with your family at a Disney Park. Isn't that really what Walt wanted?

As for Disney Management, Every trip to WDW I take when I get back I write a letter to the President of Walt Disney World. I mention the good things that I found and the things that I did not like or upset me. In every case I have received a call back from the Executive Offices acknowledging my letter and wanting to discuss what I wrote. I find this a very positive interest from Management. This past November I was in WDW at the Magic Kingdom. I had the pleasure of meeting the Magic Kingdom Operations Manager. We talked a bit and then he had to go and I watched him. The reason being is he was carrying one of those trash grabbers. As he walked down Mainstreet he was picking up any trash he found. Now I ask you, how many Managers do you know that would do that other than at a Disney Park.

John
    John, if you met Dan Cockerell last month perhaps you should have asked him about all the custodial cutbacks at his park ... the fact he was picking up trash shows how far things have fallen. I expect the No. 2 man in charge of the MK to have more important things to do than pick up trash (not saying he shouldn't pick up something if he sees it, but having a trash-picker??!) ... It's just sad. The MK is such a stale, tired, pale shadow of what it used to be. It's really almost criminal.

And I'm not trying to come down on you, John, I'm just being realistic.

And if this brings some life back to this board then Lutz and Yee and Co owe me dinner at the Cal Grill!

To an extent, I think PhoneDave is right. This age of business is much different and more fragile than it use to be. Additionally, it is safe to assume that the majority of the people on this board have no idea what it is like running a business on Disney's scale. But, I also think that it is safe to assume that WD would not approve of things like adding Nemo to the Living Seas. Putting cutsie movie charachters in a park that is intended to be a permanent World's Fair is quite obviously not one that Walt would dig. I'm sure that there are better solutions to attracting kids. I'm also sure that he would have the writers of High School Musical raped and murdered, so that they could die in the same misery that was caused the rest of us.
    "Those who say that something can not be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it."- If anyone know who said this, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureProbeMe View Post
    To an extent, I think PhoneDave is right. This age of business is much different and more fragile than it use to be. Additionally, it is safe to assume that the majority of the people on this board have no idea what it is like running a business on Disney's scale.
    Walt was a man of vision. Here's another example of how he felt about creatively spending money.

Walt, as most people know, had a small scale railroad built around his house. He had an obsession with trains. As the construction continued he decided he wanted a tunnel built. Not just a regular tunnel but one that was S shaped so that you could not see straight through it. When one of the contractors stated to Walt that it would be cheaper to build a straight tunnel, Walt simply replied, "No, it's cheaper not to do it at all." Walt's ideas about money were different than most people nowadays.

Another quote from Walt concerning money:

"Biggest problem? Well, I'd say it's been my biggest problem all my life. MONEY. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true. From the very start it was a problem. Getting the money to open Disneyland. About seventeen million it took. And we had everything mortgaged including my personal insurance. It's no secret that we were sticking just about every nickel we had on the chance that people would really be interested in something totally new and unique in the field of entertainment."

Sure, Walt had many quirks, but creativity, quality and innovation were always his top priorities. Mike Eisner and Frank Wells had it right during the early 80's and early 90's, but somehow the focus was lost. I believe Robert Iger and John Lasseter make a great team, but there is to much attention being devoted to other Disney projects and Walt Disney World is suffering from this lack of attention.

Wait!!! I've got it!!!
    HEY ROBERT, HOW ABOUT SENDING JOHN TO DISNEY WORLD WITH A WHOLE LOT OF PIXIE DUST!!!!!

You know I think it is amazing how much all of you know. To bad you are not open to discussing things without critizing or attacking. I guess that is what mice chat has become. You are okay if you agree with the main folks on the group. But if you disagree, you don't know anything and are attacked.

If any of you are better than the people running WDW now, then why are you not doing it. It is so easy to critize when you don't have to take responsibility.

I think most of you that are so critical need the pixie dust because you have forgotten how to enjoy.

Very interesting ideas with lots of data to back up the points! Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Here is an interesting quote from this web site:
    A Tale of Two Brothers Business Development Seminars in New Jersey

"Roy was to money what Walt was to creativity. And I think it’s fair to say that without Roy, there would be no Disney Empire today. Roy, a banker by trade, was the one who finagled the loans, took out the mortgages, and begged and borrowed from relatives when Walt told him how much his next idea or initiative was going to cost."
    "Did Roy like it? Heck no! Being frugal by nature, he often fought with Walt tooth-and-nail, claiming how they couldn’t possibly incur any more debt. It got to the point where the two brothers wouldn’t talk for weeks at a time, instead sending handwritten notes to each other from their separate offices in Disney studios when they needed to communicate."
    "But through it all, Roy loved and believed in his brother and somehow made it happen."

Walt was a unique combination of artist and visionary. As the face and front-man for his company, he let those qualities shine through. But there was a balance in the Disney family and the Disney company - and that was Roy.

Like any organization - whether it is a family or a business - there is a natural and necessary tension for balance: save vs. spend, dream vs. plan, explore vs. execute.

We can argue if it has gone too far one way or the other at The Walt Disney Company. But I think we need to recognize that the management and employees at Disney are very very smart people doing a good job with all their heart.

I actually know a few Disney employees personally. When you talk to Disney employees, you see that their employer does something very special as seen through the employee's eyes.

And I think the general public agrees - and they vote that agreement with their dollars.

Just my two cents...
    Check out my free high resolution Disney World pictures and Disney World Vacation site.

Quote Originally Posted by WDWmemories View Post
    Here is an interesting quote from this web site:
    Like any organization - whether it is a family or a business - there is a natural and necessary tension for balance: save vs. spend, dream vs. plan, explore vs. execute.

We can argue if it has gone too far one way or the other at The Walt Disney Company. But I think we need to recognize that the management and employees at Disney are very very smart people doing a good job with all their heart.

And I think the general public agrees - and they vote that agreement with their dollars.
    Well, I can see that Disney Marketing has done their job well. People have become so used to mediocrity that they have been blinded.

This is what I meant with the "OH WELL" syndrome.

During the last major recession we had from 87' to 91' with the savings and loan debacle, (does anyone remember that?) Walt Disney World plunged through it like a sledge hammer!!!

Without going into tooooooo many details here's the short version.

The Walt Disney company opened up or was working on the following: Disney MGM Studios, Splash Mountain, Animal Kingdom, EuroDisney (Now Disneyland Paris), WESTCOT (now known as Disney's California Adventure) Tower of Terror, Muppet Vision 3-D, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, Yacht and Beachclud resorts, Grand Floridian Resort, Port Orleans Resort (To include both French Quarter and Riverside sections) Etc, Etc, Etc...

They kept the Parks in Pristine condition and during the peak seasons park hours were till 11pm at EPCOT and midnight or later at both the MGM Studios and Magic Kingdom. I have proof of this because my family vacationed at Walt Disney World in June 91' as operation DESERT SHIELD was winding down.

You see, I have visited Walt Disney World every other year(mostly) since 1971 and have witnessed the decline in the early 80's to it's resurrection in the mid to late 80's through the mid to late 90's and now it's continual steady decline since around 97' or so. I know what Walt Disney World WAS like and I know what it is like today and I can tell you that current Walt Disney World management is failing us as guests in many areas.

People....Please don't play the recession card again! As I have pointed out, It didn't slow the company down before, so why should it this time?

Perhaps, just perhaps, it's because the company has been so all consumed with draining every last dollar from their visitors that people no longer desire to return to the properties as often as possible.

Perhaps........

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I think this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship! I totally agree.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

Gee. Yet another anti-WDW thread. I am beginning to wonder if all that silly ranting by TDLFAN is actually true. But then again, I am not touching this subject at all and let it unfold. Let the truth be known to all who care to read it.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning509s View Post
    Well, I can see that Disney Marketing has done their job well. People have become so used to mediocrity that they have been blinded.

This is what I meant with the "OH WELL" syndrome.

During the last major recession we had from 87' to 91' with the savings and loan debacle, (does anyone remember that?) Walt Disney World plunged through it like a sledge hammer!!!

Without going into tooooooo many details here's the short version.

The Walt Disney company opened up or was working on the following: Disney MGM Studios, Splash Mountain, Animal Kingdom, EuroDisney (Now Disneyland Paris), WESTCOT (now known as Disney's California Adventure) Tower of Terror, Muppet Vision 3-D, Typhoon Lagoon, Pleasure Island, Yacht and Beachclud resorts, Grand Floridian Resort, Port Orleans Resort (To include both French Quarter and Riverside sections) Etc, Etc, Etc...

They kept the Parks in Pristine condition and during the peak seasons park hours were till 11pm at EPCOT and midnight or later at both the MGM Studios and Magic Kingdom. I have proof of this because my family vacationed at Walt Disney World in June 91' as operation DESERT SHIELD was winding down.

You see, I have visited Walt Disney World every other year(mostly) since 1971 and have witnessed the decline in the early 80's to it's resurrection in the mid to late 80's through the mid to late 90's and now it's continual steady decline since around 97' or so. I know what Walt Disney World WAS like and I know what it is like today and I can tell you that current Walt Disney World management is failing us as guests in many areas.

People....Please don't play the recession card again! As I have pointed out, It didn't slow the company down before, so why should it this time?

Perhaps, just perhaps, it's because the company has been so all consumed with draining every last dollar from their visitors that people no longer desire to return to the properties as often as possible.

Perhaps........
    That is a very sophomoric way of looking at company finances. You cannot just look at what projects were started.

What was their debit exposure then compared to now
    What sort of credit did they have access to, as compared to now
    What were OTHER divisions doing at the time. What was their CapEx
    Was was the overall company EBDITA then and now
    What union contracts were up for renegotiation then and now
    What sponsorship contracts were in place then and now (and the associated requirements)
    I could go on and on, but thats not the point

You can't just look at this as two identical recessions. You have to look at ALL the factors. Quite frankly, I don't have access to all those factors.

-dave
    Last edited by Phonedave; 12-17-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

About the "recession card" - perhaps WDW will be hit harder because it's a real vacation destination that doesn't rely as much on locals.

But in a recent threead many people opined that Disneyland will continue to be well-attended in spite of the recent economic downturn. I had my doubts, until a visit last week when the place was very busy - on a Thursday with school still in session.

Make of that what you will.

And as an employee I attended several presentations regarding the plans for "Westcot". What a disappointment that turned out to be.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Rock Star Minion

Walt had it easy. He was the major stockholder.
    WDW management has to answer to Jay Rasulo. I don't think I need to add anything more.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast