Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WOW..deep discounts on merch. right now...

Didn't see this elsewhere on here.

Resort wide right now:

50% of all Christmas ornaments, tree skirts, stockings, and Xmas hats

40% of all T shirts, Ball caps, and something else I forget.

I ha planned yesterday on going to the parks and finishing Xmas shopping.....ornaments for my whole family, 3 stockings, and 2 shirts. Imagine my joy at finding out it would be almost 50% off!

So....I wonder why? Are they that desperate to move merch. that they would give such a huge discount.

• Minion

Re: WOW..deep discounts on merch. right now...

I've never been to WDW this close to Christmas, so I don't know if the blowout pricing is something they do every year or, if it's new to this year.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    So....I wonder why? Are they that desperate to move merch. that they would give such a huge discount.
    Well considering the economy is in the toilet... yeah they're that desperate.

Those seem like pretty good discounts, but it could just be that we are so close to Christmas that they are normal - I see similar "deals" in everyday stores...
    Thanks for sharing the information!
    Check out my free high resolution Disney World pictures and Disney World Vacation site.

• When Will It Return?

Call me crazy, but it might have something to do with the fact that the holiday season has about 2 weeks left to live.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    40% of all T shirts, Ball caps, and something else I forget.
    Mugs, you forgot mugs.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by WDWmemories View Post
    Those seem like pretty good discounts, but it could just be that we are so close to Christmas that they are normal - I see similar "deals" in everyday stores...
    Because we're in a recession. The economy sucks more than a Hoover on high speed.

• Little Miss Sunshine

The sale has been going on for a couple of weeks or so now (since around the 13th). I've picked up a number of items.

This isn't normal for Disney. Normal would be clearances after Christmas. From what I was told, Disney makes their order for this time period much earlier in the year - and there is just too much ordered for the amount of guests on property. I also heard that the warehouse needs to clear out for January merchandise.

The sale is until January 4th. Not good for Disney, but good for guests. I put a photo of a clearance sign up at the end of my update on the Polynesian here: http://www.mousesteps.com/index.php?...d=34&Itemid=65

I think I may have it in the Micechat weekend update as well. The best deals to me are on resort items - like Polynesian Resort t-shirts, mugs, hats, etc. that are almost never discounted (even at the outlets). I am glad I didn't go to the passholder event on the 13th, I would have kicked myself for getting up at 4am for a sale that continued for weeks! I also bought a 2008 Very Merry Christmas Party t-shirt for $8.00.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Call me crazy, but it might have something to do with the fact that the holiday season has about 2 weeks left to live.
    OK crazy... Disney never gave out discounts even during the holidays, so yes, this is a desperate move to move the merchandise. I noticed these cutbacks in price the other day and took advantage of some deals. KUDOS to Disney for trying to stimulate the economy!! Like Denise said.. this is unusual for Disney.

• When Will It Return?

Well you've all been complaining about the Wal-Mart'ing of the style of the merch, and rightly so. Only stands to reason that retail-esque pricing schemes would come with that...

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Banned User

When i was there in December '07, they were heavily discouting all the stuff that said 2007 on it. I suppose that's standard precedure, but discounting everything else must be unusual.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Sadly a sign of the times. Here in the UK, most retailers are discounting 30-75% on so many things to generate sales (with 2 huge, 100+ years old chains going into liquidation and 7 of the nation's top 10 retailers under threat for the next quarter). I am not surprised to see discounts at WDW right now sadly.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

This discounting is not unique to Disney. I just got back from Universal Japan this evening and they are also discounting a lot of the merchandise.. especially holiday stuff, since their Christmas event ends on the 25th.

BTW Baloo and all... UNiversal Japan plans to debut a night time ELECTRICAL Parade called "Magical Twilight Parade" this march 2009. This is the latest torpedo directed at Disney from a Universal park that is so good with staffing, show quality and cleanliness... that it actually does a much better job than WDW's MK in those areas.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Cool, can't wait to check it out.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    From what I was told, Disney makes their order for this time period much earlier in the year - and there is just too much ordered for the amount of guests on property.
    Yup.. just like all retail, the ordering of such inventory (especially seasonal, dated material) is done much earlier in the year and they can't just send it back The lead times are 6+ months so when the economy swings like this.. its not like the retailers ignored the current economic situation.. these are just choices made long before it was clear.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast