Pop Warner football

Hi everyone. I am new here, forgive me if there is already info on this topic (I did a search, did not find much).
    We are planning our first trip to WDW the first 2 weeks in Dec 2009.
    I just notice on the touring plans website that the second week there is Pop warner football championships at Wide world of sports.
    How many people does this bring to the area, and will it make crowds unmanageable.
    Thanks for any help.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Re: Pop Warner football

Let's put it this way, after our 2006 experience, I will NEVER go there again at that time. It wasn't too bad at the deluxe hotels or Epcot, but the MK and the Value Resorts were mobbed.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Oh No, really?!
    We are not staying onsite, rather at a vacation home, so the hotels won't be an issue.
    Really it is the parks and the added wait times I am worried about.
    Thanks.

• Banned User

Ladnar, if you have to go the second week of December, make all your visits to Magic Kingdom during the first week. MK will of course be the most popular park with the Pop Warner crowd. Unfortunately, they will result in more crowding in the parks, except when the games are on.
    Last edited by disneyfann121; 01-04-2009 at 12:52 PM.

My daughter is a Pop Warner cheerleader who's team was in the running to attend at WDW in 2008. I read through all of the info for the trip, all the teams were staying at the Pop resorts or Port Orleans. They closed MGM Studio (I can't remember what it is called now) early on either Tues or Wed (I think Wed) so that all the Pop Warner athletes and families had the part to themselves. I think that was the only scheduled event, other wise you just have the athletes at the parks whenever their individual schedules permit.

• Banned User

I do not think the crowds are that bad in the 1st and 2nd week. They certainly weren't this past december a few weeks ago. However, you have to keep in mind that you may see a bit of a surge in attendance due to the Christmas events/decor/shows being held at all of the parks. Still, whatever crowds there will be, it won't be horribly crowded as it can get as we near the end of december and until the new year.
    Rest at ease... it won't be nightmarish.

BTW Ladnar.. welcomed to Micechat. This is the best site out there for Disney fans. Bunch of great people here.

Thanks everyone for the info, I feel a bit more at ease about the timing we chose now.
    Also thanks for the welcome TDLFAN!

• and too all a good fright

I was there this year during Pop Warner time and it really wasn't that bad. There were a few small issues at the hotel, but no issues in the park. If you are staying off property you will probably not even notice.

I was there last year at the same time as the Pop Warner stuff. The days when those were going on, there was decided increased attendance in the park. While the kids (players and cheerleaders) weren't too bad, I found their families were pretty ignorant during that time. Many acted like they owned the park. One parent would hold a spot in line and expect people to allow 6 or 7 people to cut in the lines.