• Sock Puppet

Why did Disney choose DHS as the site of Fantasmic and not the Magic Kingdom?

Why did Disney choose DHS as the site of Fantasmic and not Magic Kingdom as the site of the show?

• World Traveler

Re: Why did Disney choose DHS as the site of Fantasmic and not the Magic Kingdom?

Probably to get more night time attendance at DHS.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Why did Disney choose DHS as the site of Fantasmic and not the Magic Kingdom?

Because thematically it doesn't fit in a MK stle park. Fantasyland would be the best land to put it in but even the MK at WDW doesn't have enough room for this.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ And space would be an issue as well. Besides, why completely copy what Disneyland did? DL kinda needed to do what they do now because they needed to utilize as much of the space they have now. It's amazing how they squeeze in so much in that park.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Not to mention that Hollywood Studios was fairly attraction short when it opened (and still is to this day, IMO) and to boot it was very popular from the get-go. They needed something to eat the crowds up!

• Banned User

They needed something to keep guests in the park (and more importantly, spending money) after dark.

they wanted people in there park I have seen the show at both parks and personaly I think it's better hidden at disneyland instead at disney world you already know whats going to happen since there's a arena type thing built around a plain mountain. You would never know there's a nightime spectacular that performs nightly on the rivers america, unless you saw a times guide or asked a castmember.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Because thematically it doesn't fit in a MK stle park. Fantasyland would be the best land to put it in but even the MK at WDW doesn't have enough room for this.
    Sorry, but I don't agree with either of these points. Thematically it's a perfect fit for the Magic Kingdom. What's more perfect than Mickey facing the Disney characters of his dreams? It's worked for decades in SoCal, and it would have fit nicely into the MK.

And with a bit of rebuilding of the walkways around the Rivers of America, the show would have fit in as well in Florida as it does in California.

But I agree with Disney's decision to put the show in the Studios. MK already had its nighttime show with Fantasy in the Sky. And while the Studios did have its own fireworks show, it was getting dated. And there was some terrific room to build the big amphitheater at the Studios. I'm not a huge fan of the Florida show as compared to the original. But as far as location I think they got it right.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Sorry, but I don't agree with either of these points. Thematically it's a perfect fit for the Magic Kingdom. What's more perfect than Mickey facing the Disney characters of his dreams? It's worked for decades in SoCal, and it would have fit nicely into the MK.

And with a bit of rebuilding of the walkways around the Rivers of America, the show would have fit in as well in Florida as it does in California.
    Frontierland is all about the hard facts that created America. Walt Disney did not create it with the idea of displaying Mickey's imagination. I would hope that this would be just as true for WDW's MK as it is for Disneyland.

In an ideal world the show should be held in Fantasyland in either the MK or in DL. The only reason it is in Frontierland in DL is that there is no other room to put it, except maybe in DCA but the lagoon there is already being retrofitted for World of Color.

WDW as a whole has a lot more elbow room when it comes to creativity. And since there is no room in the MK to put the show other than perhaps on their ROA, then next best location is DHS, where it is a celebration of movies.

Why did Disney choose DHS as the site of Fantasmic and not Magic Kingdom as the site of the show?
    So they could put that cool looking hat with a shop underneath it right in front of the Chinese theater? (Rim shot)

^ And space would be an issue as well. Besides, why completely copy what Disneyland did? DL kinda needed to do what they do now because they needed to utilize as much of the space they have now. It's amazing how they squeeze in so much in that park.
    My thoughts too. If they could have put it somewhere else at DL, they would have. I do love the show better at DL with the big boats and the like, but it is much more of a hassle both to get a place to see the show or to even get through there before and after the show. It is much more convenient to go into the theater about 30 minutes before the show, have a seat on a bench, and wait rather than to have to show up 2 hours prior, sit on the ground, or worse stand being packed in like sardines.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I'm not so sure it would be as easy to do in Florida. There is a lot of equipment stored below ground level at Disneyland.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Frontierland is all about the hard facts that created America. Walt Disney did not create it with the idea of displaying Mickey's imagination. I would hope that this would be just as true for WDW's MK as it is for Disneyland.
    Y'know, I actually agree with that argument, to a point. I'm so used to that area of Disneyland being used for concerts and special events. It seems like it's totally appropriate for the western theme to sorta fade into the background when other events intrude. I mean, you can't tell me that Miley Cyrus singing on one of the F! barges on her birthday has anything to do with Frontierland, but it still worked as a special event. I think sometimes we superfans get a little too strict with our interpretation of the theme of a land. But then, when they put the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor into Tomorrowland in the MK, or about half of the attractions in DCA that have nothing to do with California, I do have a problem with that.

I'm not so sure it would be as easy to do in Florida. There is a lot of equipment stored below ground level at Disneyland.
    Excellent point - hadn't thought of that. There's no way they could dig down that far into the high water table to put the lighting and projection systems. Hence the theater in DHS, where it's all above ground.