Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Question for a first time Disney World Adventure

Hi Mice Chaters!!!
    I have a quick question. I am from San Diego and visit Disneyland all the time. BUT I am going to Walt Disney World for the first time tomorrow, and I only have one day to do everything. And I was asking if you could help me decide on the best things for me and my boyfriend to do. We are young 19 and 21, and getting park hopper passes so we can visit different parks. I want to make him happy since i begged to go. He likes rides especially the bigger ones. So i was asking if you guys could tell me some of the things I should not miss on my one day adventure.
    Thanksssss!!!

• Inappropriate

Re: Question for a first time Disney World Adventure

One day?? You're going to miss...most things. You might as well completely skip the Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios, seeing as how they're similar to what you have in Anaheim. I would go to Animal Kingdom and hit Expedition Everest, and maybe Dinosaur. Then go to Epcot and hit Mission: Space and Test Track...and then let the next micechatter below me finish up your day.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Rock Star Minion

Assuming it's open the whole day:
    1. Animal Kingdom: Everest, Safari, Nemo show, Lion King show.
    2. Hollywood Studios: RocknRoller Coaster, ToT (better version). In and out in about 1.5 hours.
    3. EPCOT: skip Mission:Space if you don't want to enjoy your lunch a second time. Test Track is OK. Good park for Lunch -- lots of sit-down restaurants. Otherwise, it is a giant, themed shopping mall with a few attractions that takes all day to enjoy at a more leisurely pace. Especially the British pub.
    4. Magic Kingdom: Space Mountain (different from DL's, but more like Matterhorn). HM -- it's been refurbished; make out on all the dark rides.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Wow! One day isn't much time. My first suggestion would be to start saving your money for a longer trip to WDW sometime in the future.

Some ride suggestions from another Disneyland regular:

At Animal Kingdom, we like Expedition Everest. The safari ride (sorry, can't think of the correct name right now) is also good, but it takes a little longer.

At Hollywood Studios, we always go on the Rockin' Roller Coaster. The Tower of Terror is a bit different from the one at DCA, so if the line's not too long you might check that out. We also really like the Lights, Motors, Action car stunt show.

Epcot has Test Track and Mission:Space. We also like the exhibits, shows, and rides in World Showcase, but that's an entire day on its own.

I can't think of any standout rides at the Magic Kingdom, that are different from Disneyland. You're not old enough to be nostalgic for the Carousel of Progress and People Mover, like we are.

Have a great time, whatever you decide, and start saving for the next trip!

Dana

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

One day is definitely not enough time to see all 4 parks. Just traveling between them will take up a good hour or 2 of your time. Since you're a Disneyland regular, skip Magic Kingdom as it's got a lot of what you've already seen. I'd start with the Studios, then take the boat from there to EPCOT (takes about 30 minutes). You'll arrive in World Showcase between the UK & France. Just pick whatever direction you want to go in and enjoy the rest of your day there.

• MiceAge Columnist

Does your message mean one day to *plan* everything? Since you're leaving tomorrow?

If so, let's hope that means you'll be at WDW for longer than one day. Since a first-timer would want to take a single day at a single park (either DAK or Epcot, for my money) and not parkhop.

Assuming you meant you have one day to plan and wanted advice, that's a different question. It's really much more than a single discussion thread can possibly tell you, at least within one day. I'd pick up a guidebook (possible the Complete WDW Guide) in your shoes and plan on the plane from that.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ View Post
    The safari ride (sorry, can't think of the correct name right now)
    It's called Kilimanjaro Safaris, and for better or worse, its one of the most unique things Disney has ever created. You might not enjoy it (and that depends largely on who is driving) but I think its worth stopping by.

Here would be my recommendation:

1. Head to Animal Kingdom and be there at opening. Head straight for Expedition Everest in Asia and grab Fast-Passes.
    2. Make a B-Line to Kilimanjaro Safaris and jump in the standby line. (Your Fast-Passes will benefit you more over at Everest, I think.)
    3. Depending on how long things have taken you so far, you could hit up Dinosaur. I'd skip it, though, as its basically Indiana Jones without the epic soundtrack.
    4. Head on over to Epcot. I'd take the suggestions of others and skip Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios as you've seen a lot of what they have to over during your time at the Disneyland Resort.
    5. Depending on your tastes, I would grab some Fast Passes for Test Track and take a walk around the World Showcase until they are active. If Fast Passes aren't available, you could wait in line for Test Track and head towards the World Showcase for dinner and Illuminations.

However you choose to spend your day, you've definitely got your work cut out for ya!
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I like the ideas presented above. If the goal is to ride the most attractions in one day, stick to just one or two parks.

However, if you'd like to see all of the parks and just do a few things in each, it can be done, but wastes a lot of time. Here is my crazy suggestion for enjoying a day in ALL 4 parks:

Start at Animal Kingdom at opening - Don't be late, you need to be right up there at the front gate when they open. Go straight to Everest and get your Fast Pass. Then Go to the Safari. If you were one of the first people in the park, you'll be able to ride Everest as soon as you are done with the Safari. Walk out through Dinoland and see how long the line is for Dinosaur. If it is short, ride it. If the wait is longer than 20 mintues, skip it. (You can be in and out of Animal Kingdom in 90 minutes if you really try).

Take a bus to Hollywood studios. Go straight to Rock'n Rollercoaster and see what the return time is to ride. If it is within two hours, get a pass. Go to Tower of Terror. If the line is within the return time of your Rock'n Rollercoaster pass, get in line. If not, skip it and take a tour of the park until it is time to Rock.

Exit the park and stay to your far left. There is a small boat platform, get in line and take the boat to Epcot. Note that this is NOT the fastest way to get to Epcot, but it is the most fun! The boat will take you past Swan and Dolphin, Yatch and Beach Club, and Boardwalk before dropping you off at World Showcase at Epcot.

If you want more park time, go to the busses and take the one to Epcot.

Once at Epcot, get a fastpass for Test Track. While waiting for your return time, check the line for Mission Space (ride if it is less than 30 minutes). Nemo and Spaceship Earth are both interesting. Take a brisk walk around World Showcase and pick up lunch at any of the quick serve places (Good one in Japan and China, and regular burgers in America). Ride Test Track on your return from your trip around the world.

Exit the park and hop the monorail to the Ticket and Transportation center. Then transfer to the Magic Kingdom line and enjoy the 2nd happiest place on Earth. Get a fastpass to one of your favorite rides. Don't miss Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain which are both awesome at WDW. Tomorrowland Transit Authority isn't a high speed ride, but it is magical.

You can do all 4 parks in one day and still have a great time. You'll get to see what each of the parks looks like, but you won't really have any time to stop and smell the flowers. You are young and full of energy. I say, go for it!

-Dusty
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

That's some good advice there from Dusty!

And when you're done remember to do this...

Collapse from exhaustion and have a good night's sleep! You probably won't be sore from all the walking the next day, but the day after that, your legs are SO going to feel it.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    That's some good advice there from Dusty!

And when you're done remember to do this...

Collapse from exhaustion and have a good night's sleep! You probably won't be sore from all the walking the next day, but the day after that, your legs are SO going to feel it.

Your assuming they can move enough to get out of bed Ami! I like Dusty's suggestions I would add take some Tylenol, gatoraide and grab a hot shower when you get back to the room, and again the next morning the walking at WDW is much much more than you are used to at DL. Doing Dusty's touring plan you will cover about 35 miles or more in one day on your feet. Wear conformable shoes and stay hydrated.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Minion

No one mentioned Mickey's Philharmagic at MK? That would be my favortie attraction at MK among those that are not also found at DL.

Personally I like to do things more slowly and savor whichever park I happen to be visiting on a given day, but if you had to do it in a day, I would go with Dusty's suggestions, but being sure to get Philharmagic in.
    Down with the Hat

Wow, I went to WDW for my 1st time last June and can't imagine doing all 4 parks in 1 day, I had hoppers and never used it..... but my favorites will be Everest at AK, Rocknroller and Tower at HS, Test Track and Mission Space at Epcot and Haunted Mansion, Space Mtn and People Mover at MK.....
    Disneyland Deluxe Passholder

I've done 3 parks in one day, but I'm a "local" so there's a lot I can skip. Still freaking exhausting though!

• Too far from Disney World

Animal Kingodom: Everest, Dinosaur

Magic Kingdom: Space Mountain, Philharmagic

EPCOT: Malestorm, Grand Fiesta, Test Track, Mission, Spaceship Earth

Hollywood: Rock n Rollercoaster
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Former Epcot CM

I'm worn out just reading this thread.