Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New additions/mini refurbs?

I was just at WDW today on POTC and I noticed several discrepancies since I last visited a month ago. In the Wench for a Bride scene, there is a chinese man sitting on the righthand side, in the burning city scene, the third of the three singing pirates looks completely different, and in the same scene, the pirate with his arms full that is stepping out of the boat is minus his previous many hats. That, and there appears to be new clothes and/or wigs on many of our pirates. When did all that happen?
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• Banned User

Re: New additions/mini refurbs?

Those are discrepancies? Or maybe, revisions to the show? Personally, if making subtle changes is their nickel pinching way of improving/refurbishing the show, then I say.. let them. God knows the MK park as a whole needs to be shut down and refurbished greatly!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Those are discrepancies? Or maybe, revisions to the show? Personally, if making subtle changes is their nickel pinching way of improving/refurbishing the show, then I say.. let them. God knows the MK park as a whole needs to be shut down and refurbished greatly!
    Abso-freakin-lutely! According to Al's recent report, the sucky economy is behooving Disney to skip the long overdue refurb of the Haunted Mansion, and to allow everything everywhere else to continue to suffer from lack of proper upgrades ..and upgrades in general.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 01-18-2009 at 03:43 PM.

well i think its a revision to meet up to the current economy..
    just do what you think...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Abso-freakin-lutely! According to Al's recent report, the sucky economy is behooving Disney to skip the long overdue revub of the Haunted Mansion
    Wait what? HM already got an upgrade.

• Disneyholic

Ya know I think it's a step in the right direction, keep the rides fresh, and constantly perform maintenance and upgrades, If they had done this years ago it probably would have saved them a lot of money in the larger refurbs and would have less of an impact on future park visitors.

Also now I want to goto see what's changed in POTC now, imagine how many people would make more frequent trips just for that purpose alone...
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

lol I sure as heck ain't complainin XD I was suprised nobody mentioned it, seeing as a large thread has begun (here or doombuggies) about a new portrait in the hallway of doors at HM had been started earlier this year XD

and I just meant discrepancies between visits. Probably an odd choice of words. I was just wondering since nobody has mentioned it. Does Disney go in and give little mini-facelifts at the beginning of each year (i.e. newer outfits, paint touchups, moving props around, etc)
    Where hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls...Whenever candle lights flicker, where the air is deathly still...That is the time when ghosts are present

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by whitealexander View Post
    well i think its a revision to meet up to the current economy..
    Hmmm. Ok. The problem is, there is nothing cheap about the prices we pay today for basic needs like gas and food, so if Disney is meeting up their refurbishing efforts with the current economy conditions... why oh why are they going cheap? Especially at the inflated prices of admission at the WDW parks?

I think Al's article refered to the HM at DL, not the MK.

What all are they doing at DL HM? I heard about the O-Pin house, but thats it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by DarkwingDuck79 View Post
    From what I had heard, they were going to have another.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Hmmm. Ok. The problem is, there is nothing cheap about the prices we pay today for basic needs like gas and food, so if Disney is meeting up their refurbishing efforts with the current economy conditions... why oh why are they going cheap? Especially at the inflated prices of admission at the WDW parks?

I think Al's article refered to the HM at DL, not the MK.
    Agreed. In consideration of admission fees that become ever more heavily inflated annually, refurbishing and maintanance at the WDW ahould never be done on the cheap.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

wait wasn't Haunted Mansion just overhauled in '07?

first off props to giggling_gargoyles for teh blatant anime fandom especially towards Naruto (who's roxoring in teh manga right now)

on the subject of Pirates I'm honestly going to say you could've fooled me

I'll chalk some of it up to not wanting to close the ride durring the whole holiday rush but the Pirates I saw over New Years (and the days leading up to it) this year was NOT something to be proud of

infact the condition of Pirates pretty much shamed my own love of animatronicfest rides, here I am taking my second cousins who have never been to a Disney park before on the ride and after the first drop (which they enjoyed of course) they're just bored and staring at me wondering why I like this sort of thing

granted they enjoyed the ship room (and I did too, I mean it's missing alot of the details that DL's version has acumulated over the years but it's still a great scene) but everything after that was just utter crap

non of the singing pirates or I suppose I should say most of the pirates at all moved their lips or really moved much outside a few jerky side to side type movements. My first day there one of the pirates had his pants down with a nice look at his hydrolics if you looked up at the bridge but that was thankfully fixed the next day so I won't harp too much on that I suppose.

however nonmoving pirates kinda sucks all the realisum and mistique out of the ride and since they've never upgraded lighting or sound on this version it's not really the shining star of animatronic based rides it used to be.

the Johnny Depp animatronics dropped in over the last refurb were all working perfectly which of course really only made it even more blatant that everything else in the ride must have long since fused together and broken and after a while I started a pattern of ditching the darned second cousins so they wouldn't question my ride choices till I'd seen the condition of the actual ride.

I will say the upgrades to HM are still looking nice though, it's more effects driven so animatronic care isn't as much a factor. It took a good ride through of Spaceship earth which is still a brilliant star in the see of crap that is WDW's animatronics to really show/remind ME why I love animatronics in rides.

in summery if they're slowly upgranding Pirates I'll be damned if I noticed durring my trip this New Years.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    the Johnny Depp animatronics dropped in over the last refurb were all working perfectly which of course really only made it even more blatant that everything else in the ride must have long since fused together and broken and after a while I started a pattern of ditching the darned second cousins so they wouldn't question my ride choices till I'd seen the condition of the actual ride.

That point has been brought up many times, When they did the upgrade a while back they did it in short refurbs vrs a long drawn out one like at DL. As such the mix of old and new anamatronics and patchy audio, was a bit of a disapointment to most of us expecting something along the lines of the HM refurb.

Keep in mind also the SSE anamatronics are at least a decade evolved from the ones in POTC, and have had a more recent and more extensive makeover thanks to corprate sponsorship, I just wish they would do something about the narration it really irks me how dumbed down it is these days, when my 8 yr old daughter complains about it they have dumbed it down too far... (Her complaint was about SSE comparing the Roman roads to the World Wide Web and how they are not anything alike... That's my girl!)
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Is the Davey Jones water mist effect from POTC working again yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast