Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A New Monorail Line, or A Refub to the existing system?

Does anyody know if Disney is planning an overhaul of the monorail system, similar to what DL is about to get. The monorails desperately need a facelift, or a complete overhaul. The TTC, should be refurbed, it looks so 70s industrial, they should make it look more Disney (i.e.- something like the HKDL Station, a victorian kind of feel. The thing really looks like a clump of grey cement buildings with cartoony feels, wouldn't a whole new design be cool. Also, what if they added a new line that expands to maybe AK, to create a Resort wide connection with the TTC.

Re: A New Monorail Line, or A Refub to the existing system?

The closest thing to a rehab of the WDW monorails are the Stitch's spitting on the trains and the new spiels inside.

I sometimes think WDW management would shut the system down if it could get away with it.

That is too bad, they really need it. Look at Las Vegas, they have created a great transportation system, Disney should really re-think the current Monorail situation

^^^I agree, but they think buses are cheaper. Maybe when gas hits $5 a gallon they'll change their tune. The roads are so cluttered with them, it makes me ill. 15 years ago, they barely had any on property and most of them were for resort to resort transport or to get to the Village (DD now).

• Yay, Blunt Force Trauma!!

Wink Re: A New Monorail Line, or A Refub to the existing system?

Quote Originally Posted by nsxdrift_89
    That is too bad, they really need it. Look at Las Vegas, they have created a great transportation system, Disney should really re-think the current Monorail situation
    When it is properly running.

Yeah, I know huh. I don't get it though Disney has always had a winner with the monorail. Why don't they do something completely new and create a new TTC, refurb the current lines ans trains, and if they really have the moxy, add a new line to the AK (it would be great of they did this and they built an Asia hotel, similar to the original design for the MK resort area, with a monorail stop.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I wonder if they have ever visited the idea, although I don't mind the buses, however I have questioned their ability to use them in an efficient matter. For example, the HUGE line for Pop Century and buses sitting there waiting for direction from the guy in the white van. They don't spread them out on a need basis.

I think a huge monorail system might actually be a great idea! However, how they would connect all the hotels, parks and other important locations might be harder than we realize. That place is huge!

What would work, would be multiple TTCs, it would cost a load, but it might be worth it in the long run. They should also try to make the loops and traks interchangeable (i.e.- A monorail from Epcot, could transfer lines to DAK, or a train from the Grand Floridian could switch tracks to MGM, then to DAK, with a stop or two at a hotel.) It could be very similar to a system that is in place in Las Vegas, where there are sewitches strategically placed to get the trains to switch.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I sometimes think WDW management would shut the system down if it could get away with it.
    No! If everything keeps up as it is now in five years Disney will create their own traffic jams via their own transportation! Although another monorail extension would seem like best option is it also VERY costly. My vote is that something needs to be done because the bus system, although less expensive is not the best option for the long hall as it currently stands.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

There were rumors of a light rail system, if I remember correctly...perhaps this would be a balance between the fewer busses and the extreme costs of a monorail expansion?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Wouldn't light rail be more expensive than monorail? It seems it would require more landfill to support a larger track platform than the much smaller monorail beamways.

personally I think the buses kill the magic. I can ride a bus anywhere. Trains and monorails are a staple of Disney parks. While not all of the hotels could have a station there could at least be centralized stations that could serve multiple hotels with something a little nicer than a bus. Maybe this is where a small trolley system could eb implemented.

Having only stayed there, I've always wondered whether or not Shades of Green should be included and if so how?

• Riding Big Thunder

it would be great to have DTD, the Epcot Resorts, AK and the Studios on the monorail track, sadly I doubt this will ever happen, but it would be fantastic if it did, and great for the envrionment!
    Walt Disney World Trips: October 95, August 98, October 04

Disneyland Paris Trips: Too many to name!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Wouldn't light rail be more expensive than monorail? It seems it would require more landfill to support a larger track platform than the much smaller monorail beamways.

personally I think the buses kill the magic. I can ride a bus anywhere. Trains and monorails are a staple of Disney parks. While not all of the hotels could have a station there could at least be centralized stations that could serve multiple hotels with something a little nicer than a bus. Maybe this is where a small trolley system could eb implemented.
    I doubt light rail will happen, although it would be cheaper in the short term.
    And that is the inherent problem with Disney's whole mindset regarding monorail expansion. Yes, it is extremely costly. Just look to Vegas for that. BUT, BUT, BUT ... in the long term it pays out many times its cost. But Disney doesn't think long term anymore and they haven't for a while. Buses magical? I agree they are about as far from that as anything. They are also dirty and not very safe. I'm honestly just waiting for one of their lousy drivers to turn one over and kill some folks. I've see my life flash before me a few times on WDW magical buses!

Monorail expansion has seriously been considered just twice in Michael Eisner's 20 years at the company. In 1989 when the Disney-MGM Studios were being built and the Epcot resort area was being developed, Disney planted monorail footers (think that's the term) for future beamways to connect the area. Basically, there would have been a double station at EPCOT Center, with one beamway curving off to a station at the Epcot resorts (NOT through the Dolphin ... a great urban myth) and then one at the Studios.

But Eisner got gunshy and it never happened after Euro Disney made its debut.

Finally, by the late 90s it was clear there were too many buses on the roads, too much traffic and too much resort/DVC expansion so a major study was commissioned on transportation. Monorail expansion was one of the major recommendations and it appeared that Disney might have come up with the $$$. What happenned? 9/11 ... at least that was excuse.

It's been tabled ever since.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Any hope Iger will renew it?

Hey, a man can dream, can't he?
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

^^^As someone once told me "WDW1974, anything's possible."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast