Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Obama and the Hall of Presidents

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    42 actually. Barack is the 2nd Black President. Bill Clinton was the first.
    booooo

besides Obama's only half black like me :P

Anywho on the subject of the animatronic business, Disney's been prepping for this update since before the winner was decided, they actually were in the process of building animatronics for both contestants in the race for president. They both got completed to a certain extent and when the winner is decided Disney scraps the loser, I hear that the Obama one was closer to completion then the McCain which was fortionate for Disney.

Why do you all think the attraction closed so soon if they weren't prepping for this? It was closed over freaking New Years for crying out loud (even carousel of progress was opend then!)

I dunno what they're going to actually end up doing for Lincoln but I got to say I can't wait to see the new Hall of Presidents. It seems strange for me to admit that I actually really enjoy this attarction I think. It was also once again one of the few rides that my mom enjoyed in what will always be defined in my memory as our last trip as a family (really weird going on a trip KNOWING the person isn't going to be around in two months o_o)

• Banned User

I have to admit the Clinton joke went over my head or are we stereotyping any white man that can play the sax?
    BTW, as the previous poster mentioned.. Obama is half black and hardly African, since he was born in Hawaii! Lovely state.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'm curious to see how the show changes, so I'll be seeing it whenever I get down to the Magic Kingdom after reopening.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I have to admit the Clinton joke went over my head or are we stereotyping any white man that can play the sax?
    Partially. It was to do with a statement made by Toni Morrison in 1998 during the impeachment.
    "Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black President. Blacker than any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children’s lifetime. After all, Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald’s-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas."

• Fastest Man Alive

^ Sweet. Thanks for digging up the reference. Kinda thought it was common knowledge, guess not.

Frankly I surprised it needs to be down for so long. I thought it was the case that after George W., that the presidents from now on won't be making any speeches (apparently W kept getting booed too much) and Lincoln was going to do all the gabbing. So all they need to do is put up an Obama AA that slowly waves. And program some movements for Lincoln. 7 months? Clearly I don't know enough about the process to understand what would take so long.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy970
    Partially. It was to do with a statement made by Toni Morrison in 1998 during the impeachment.
    "Years ago, in the middle of the Whitewater investigation, one heard the first murmurs: white skin notwithstanding, this is our first black President. Blacker than any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children’s lifetime. After all, Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald’s-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas."
    I see. Someone get me a measuring tape now!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

BTW, as the previous poster mentioned.. Obama is half black and hardly African, since he was born in Hawaii! Lovely state.
    Actually, Obama's father is from Kenya, so that would make him 50% African right from the get-go.

And the new name for the attraction is going to be "The Hall of Presidents Goes Old School".

42 actually. Barack is the 2nd Black President. Bill Clinton was the first.
    Actually it's 41, don't forget that Grover Cleveland was the 22nd and the 24th President. So it's Barack and Bill and the 41 White Guys!
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

This will be the first time my husband actually WANTS to see the HOP!!!

I think we only went once together and that was back in 1996!

• MiceAge Columnist

Every so often, I come across a stereotype I didn't even know existed. Sax playing is supposedly a black thing? Am I the only one who didn't know that?
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Every so often, I come across a stereotype I didn't even know existed. Sax playing is supposedly a black thing? Am I the only one who didn't know that?

Jazz

• Banned User

Too bad, they righties can get over it.
    most sane righties supported him. Hate to say it but the bulk of the people that opposed him were hicks and uneducated folks.

^ Sweet. Thanks for digging up the reference. Kinda thought it was common knowledge, guess not.

Frankly I surprised it needs to be down for so long. I thought it was the case that after George W., that the presidents from now on won't be making any speeches (apparently W kept getting booed too much) and Lincoln was going to do all the gabbing. So all they need to do is put up an Obama AA that slowly waves. And program some movements for Lincoln. 7 months? Clearly I don't know enough about the process to understand what would take so long.

That only happened to me one time while I was at the HOP in 2006 where some people booed Bush's speech. I gave them a stern glance. To me that is entirely disrespectful and classless thing to do no matter if you like the guy or not. I hope they continue the tradition of the current President giving a speech to close the show, it would be a shame to ruin that tradition just because of ignorant people in the world especially since we now have a great orator in the White House.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Just a gentle reminder that talking about politics sin't allowed on the main board.

Please get this back on topic. Thanks!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• Banned User

They are refurbishing HOP, but couldn't get started on building the new AA until they knew the outcome of the election. So that's why they can't jump on Obamamania right now.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Pete's Dragon View Post
    That only happened to me one time while I was at the HOP in 2006 where some people booed Bush's speech. I gave them a stern glance. To me that is entirely disrespectful and classless thing to do no matter if you like the guy or not. I hope they continue the tradition of the current President giving a speech to close the show, it would be a shame to ruin that tradition just because of ignorant people in the world especially since we now have a great orator in the White House.
    Booing an AA??

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast