Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

I saw Roger Rabbit at WDW today!

OK, someone explain this to me. Rumor is that Amblin Entertainment won't let Roger Rabbit appear at the Disney parks anymore, and sadly, he was also replaced by aristokitty Marie from TDL's Dreamlights finale float. So how is Roger allowed to appear with Jessica at WDW on a St. Valentine's limited edition pin on sale now at WDW?

• Fastest Man Alive

Re: I saw Roger Rabbit at WDW today!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    OK, someone explain this to me. Rumor is that Amblin Entertainment won't let Roger Rabbit appear at the Disney parks anymore, and sadly, he was also replaced by aristokitty Marie from TDL's Dreamlights finale float. So how is Roger allowed to appear with Jessica at WDW on a St. Valentine's limited edition pin on sale now at WDW?
    Was Roger walking around? Or are you talking about a pin design? Because Roger Rabbit (while admitedly sparse) DOES exist on merchandise.
    Last edited by Wally; 01-21-2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: morbid factual error

• Banned User

I guess that is why I am asking!! Why is he on merchandise but not allowed as a walking rubberhead?

• Fastest Man Alive

Beats me. I had always heard it was some dispute with Eisner. But considering most every bridge has been mended since he left 'office' and Roger is still nixed, I don't know. But it's not too hard to track down Roger Rabbit plush at the parks. Don't know what else they sell though.

• Banned User

Well, Jessica is visible in the merchandise dept. They have that nice collector statue of hers in the Art of Disney stores. Even at TDL, they released a Jessica Rabbit merchandise line that quickly sold out. But Roger? Nope.

I just want to find out why the duality in regards to Roger. If his image is good for merchanidse, then he should be a walking character at the parks once again.

Roger merchandise has appeared at the Disney Store a few times in the past few years. I think he has been on some Valentines day merchandise last year and maybe the year before too. Currently Disney Store also has a Who Framed Roger Rabbit snowglobe available, so I also find it odd that since they market him here(and other characters from the movie) why is he still not found in the parks?

• Fastest Man Alive

Well, Jessica isn't walking around either. Though I can think of several additional reasons why she wouldn't. She certainly is the more marketable character.

Does anybody why there is no Roger Rabbit walkaround? It's not a budget thing, it's something else, I'm sure of it. Just don't know what the situation is.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Well, Jessica isn't walking around either. Though I can think of several additional reasons why she wouldn't. She certainly is the more marketable character.
    True.

Off topic for a second.. a live Jessica does walk every now and then in Orlando. Go to Parliament House and see drag queen Sassy Devine's dead on impersonation of Jessica Rabbit, complete with carrot prop, sparkly dress and red hot wig. FABULOUSLY CURVY impersonation.

Ok, carry on.

I remeber hearing a couple of years ago that their was some legal dispute between Disney and Gary Wolf the author of the novel which the film was based on over royalties over the film and the character. So maybe that has something to do with the absence of Roger Rabbit in the park? Does anyone have any information on this?

• Banned User

Again, a legality problem involving royalties would have to be applied to merchandise that is sold in the parks.. and the revenue would have to be shared with the other parties. The situation above would apply more to merchandise than a walk-around character.. me thinks, unless Disney was forced to pay a royalty fee for the use of the walk-around character in the park? The whole thing is just puzzling to me.

• Fastest Man Alive

It's not much, but here's from an older post by Baloo. He's usually on-the-ball and knows what he is talking about.

Baloo said: Even now disney has lots of issues when it comes to using characters like the wizard of oz for the movie ride. They could only appear for certain amount of time which required WDI to cut the show sequence. To many legal problems to abide by just to have them in the park.

similiar issues as to why they do not have the roger rabbit characters as walk arounds. Disney does not fully own them.

• Banned User

If that is the case, Disney should make every attempt to buy the rights to the character and place him back in the park. I mean, didn't they secure Oswald the Rabbit back into the Disney stable? They could do the same for Roger I would think.
    Which begs another question.. why is Oswald not doing walkaround duty in the parks?

• Fastest Man Alive

Beats me. Especially since Roger is a much more valuable property than Oswald. Really, other than hardcore Disney fans, nobody knows who Oswald is. It's pure nostalgia. Now, Roger Rabbit, even the general public knows who Roger and Jessica Rabbit are.

• Banned User

My mother recognized Oswald on merchandise sold at the Disney stores last year... and she is only in her early 70s... and she is not a hardcore fan but enjoys the Disney parks.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I saw that pin at the Polynesian last weekend. I think I saw a new pin of just Jessica as well.

Oh and when I was at Art of Disney at DTD, the area where an artist "draws" Disney characters was doing Roger & Jessica. I thought that was pretty cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast