Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

The Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion

So the last time I was at WDW was during the Millenium Celebration... I know, I need to go back, because I absolutely loved it! Anyways, I've been curious for some time now what changes/additions were made during the $30M renovation? I think it was that much. I don't really know anything about it, but I am really curious to what it's like now! Could someone give me a detailed description? I honestly don't remember a lot of the differences between DL's (which I know quite well) and the MK's besides the portrait hall and library...oh and the floating candles in the beginning...but yeah I'd like to know what enhancements were made. Any pictures? Good videos? Thanks a bunch!!!
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Re: The Magic Kingdom's Haunted Mansion

I don't know how much it was but it's still the great ride it always was

first off it looks very polished and clean vs alot of other rides at Magic Kingdom (well not clean clean but clean in a nice functioning since were everything that SHOULD work does work)

they put in a awesome surround sound effect into the stretch rooms (a small detail though)

they through in the standard changes that DL's got a while ago with the new bride (and accompanying decorations)

but it's most unique addition is a new infinite stairway type effect that I think is pretty darned awesome

though really just go again don't spoiler yourself with videos just be suprised and enjoy it, no video is ever going to capture the awsomeness of HM

Blog Entries

It is now the best HM anywhere. That's the first time we've ever been able to say that. All the classic stuff is still there, but in pristine condition. Beautiful lighting, fantastic audio. Then there are all the additions.

The audio in the stretching room has some very cool additions that weren't there before. The staircase room that replaced what was just a black area is fantastic, and I really like the wallpaper with eyes in it. Add in the changes that we got from Disneyland as well (floating leota, headless husbands, new bride) and you have a fantastic attraction. For once, WDW did it right. I wish they'd done POTC as well. I hope they'll do the right thing with the rehab of SM.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Our Haunted Mansion finally got the TLC it deserved a couple years ago and it now looks and sounds awesome. The "floating" Ghost Host effect in the stretching room is great. Plus they took out those cheese giagantic spiders and replaced that area with a great never-ending staircases room with footsteps that appear & disappear on the steps. And they added Constance from DL's version into the attic.

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Ok I know you told me not to, but I HAD to look at a video of the staircase section...HOLY MOLY! It looks INCREDIBLE! If only DL got that TLC...especially since its the 40th Anniversary this year

The sad thing is, I'm probably not going to make it to Florida for a couple years, so all I have is pictures and videos to look at.

One question, did they get rid of the portrait hall with all the different monsters with the moving eyes? I remember loving that part...
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    It is now the best HM anywhere. That's the first time we've ever been able to say that. All the classic stuff is still there, but in pristine condition. Beautiful lighting, fantastic audio. Then there are all the additions.

The audio in the stretching room has some very cool additions that weren't there before. The staircase room that replaced what was just a black area is fantastic, and I really like the wallpaper with eyes in it. Add in the changes that we got from Disneyland as well (floating leota, headless husbands, new bride) and you have a fantastic attraction. For once, WDW did it right. I wish they'd done POTC as well. I hope they'll do the right thing with the rehab of SM.
    oh I have to double agree with that one!

WDW's Pirates is like vomit, it took all my self control to hold myself back from spitting on everything

I used to prefer DL's origional HM with it's facade and details I'd grown accustom too but now with the upgrades WDW's is my favorite I rode it like four times and bought one of the shirtz while I was in Florida. I love the new effects I love riding past the photos I like the different facade and the graveyard details, WDW's HM is awrsome. My only complaint may be that I perfer the little leota bride thing to be near the speedramps instead of being part of the ride (you can hear more from the speedramps, the ride makes it sort of abridged and removes the whole point of her calling you back), but that's a pretty small quibble really and not worth whining about when everything else is just pure awsome

Quote Originally Posted by princedalton View Post
    Ok I know you told me not to, but I HAD to look at a video of the staircase section...HOLY MOLY! It looks INCREDIBLE! If only DL got that TLC...especially since its the 40th Anniversary this year

The sad thing is, I'm probably not going to make it to Florida for a couple years, so all I have is pictures and videos to look at.

One question, did they get rid of the portrait hall with all the different monsters with the moving eyes? I remember loving that part...
    Those are still there. I forget where they are now though. But they're still there because I remember seeing them last summer.

• Rides against injustice

I was there in November and yes they are there.
    I went to WDW for the first time in November with the wife and The Haunted Mansion was one of the rides I really wanted to see. The DL Mansion is my favorite ride at DL so I was eager to see the WDW version
    OMG, I loved it!!
    It makes me sad now that the Magic Kingdom version is better than my beloved Disneyland version.
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Rides against injustice

WDW's Pirates is like vomit, it took all my self control to hold myself back from spitting on everything
    LOL!! Yeah, it is pretty bad
    Out of the NIGHT....
    When the full moon is BRIGHT!!
    Comes a horseman known as ZORRO!!!
    ---------------------------------------

• Banned User

Did the refurb really cost 30M? What possessed the normally tightwad WDW management to do the right thing for once?

I've been praising the MK HM to the heavens ever since I rode it five times during my December '07 trip. They did a fantastic job, and any fan of the HM has to experience it. In the stretching room, when the GH says "I'm your host, your...Ghost Host" and laughs, you can hear the laugh coming from everywhere at once. That's awesome surround sound!

All the effects are sharp, Madame Leota looks great, the Bride looks better than at DL, and I loved the graveyard, all the ghosts and goblins there looked like a million bucks.

Let's hope that the DL HM is brought up to the same standards for the 40th anniversary.

Hopefully WDW won't let our Mansion go into the disrepair it was in before the rehab again.

I'd be surprised if they did upkeep it with their track record, sadly. Even if that would be the case it would be a LONG time for it to get as bad as it was. I would imagine that if and when Tokyo gets these enhancements, that will be the superior version as they will keep it pristine.

Time will tell though.

In the mean time, I can't wait for DL to incorporate the few things that WDW introduced here and there. Not the staircase, of course.

If/when Paris gives Phantom Manor a much-needed refurb, it will once again be the best version of Mansion out there. I know it needs some serious TLC.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    aw! I like it! In fact, I love it. It's always been one of my favorites. Ever since I can remember going to WDW. And we ride it multiple times each time we go.

I adore the new mansion. I was SO excited when my parents went along on our last trip....I got to show it off. They loved it too. My mother was very enthusiastic about it, and my daughter made us ride again and again.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    aw! I like it! In fact, I love it. It's always been one of my favorites. Ever since I can remember going to WDW. And we ride it multiple times each time we go.
    Well then... I'd probably recommend you go on a version of it were the pirates actually move because what I saw in my last two visits has done a pretty good job of biasing me against that ride (I'm ready to tolerate it being a shorter/"lite" version of the ride but good gravy if I get to the town there's no point to being there if the Pirates don't really move or sing and you don't care to keep fresh bulbs in their torches or, it was depressing :P)

ride DL's you'll be floored at the difference in quality

but moving away from this tint of negativity which (along with my experience on the POS movie ride) will no doubt last me a good portion of the year.
    I can't say enough GOOD things about the job that they did on the Haunted Mansion (much like how I'll applaud the work on Spaceship Earth, I love it now) they've taken what I love and made it sparkle as a testiment of why I perfer the Disney parks, something I can proudly take my friends and family on and know that they'll probably enjoy it too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast