Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Meal Plan Gratuities

First time to WDW. Will be at POLY in May.

We are using the meal plan for the first time. How do you usually pay for

the gratuity? Do you charge to your room key or pay with cash?

My husband and I disagree on which way is best.

• Can't get enough!

Re: Meal Plan Gratuities

We charged ours to the room key. It's the easiest way since you only have to give them one card.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible- Walt Disney

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Personally, I'd just give them cash if you can. That way the charges don't keep racking up on your room key.

• I Miss WDW

Peterhead, Scotland (i.e. Way too far away!)

Cash, as aimster says they will just keep racking up! and by the end of your stay you will no doubt get a HUGE shock!!

• Too far from Disney World

We paid in cash. I set aside an envelope in my park bag that was just for gratuities for our sit down meals. Made checking-out a lot easier as well. On our receipts they had printed "optional gratuities" at the bottom with the percents based off of our meals price.
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

Yeah the recommended tip amount on the bottom of the bill was a big help. I usually just paid that or a little more if service is really good. I don't do the full-service restaurants often, but once in awhile it's a nice break from my usual counter-service fare.

Having a room charge on your room key is NOT an automatic thing ... so if you don't like the idea of charges creeping up and adding up to a lot at the end, then simply don't open a room charge account.

Personally, I think it's the best thing at WDW since Mickey Mouse himself. I love going cashless for a week (I never leave WDW property). I maybe carry a $20 with my as a just-in-case thing, but I never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Having a room charge on your room key is NOT an automatic thing ... so if you don't like the idea of charges creeping up and adding up to a lot at the end, then simply don't open a room charge account.

Personally, I think it's the best thing at WDW since Mickey Mouse himself. I love going cashless for a week (I never leave WDW property). I maybe carry a $20 with my as a just-in-case thing, but I never use it.
    Just don't be shocked when you check out and see an extra $500 or whatnot on your bill.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Just don't be shocked when you check out and see an extra $500 or whatnot on your bill.
    the card automatically stops charging at $500. You have to call the front desk of your hotel, and okay it for them to go ahead and charge your credit card. This frees up the balance on the room key and allows you to keep charging.

We LOVE that you can charge stuff to the room key for just that reason. Helps us keep track of how much we are spending. In fact, this last trip, we didn't reach the limit till our second to last day. Both me and hubby were really shocked about that.

We use the room key for tips, too.

I hope this dosn't deviate too much from the topic but we're considering the meal plan for our trip in June, so my question is...where are all the Buffets at?
    Waz fo' Lunsh?

If you're paying for the dining plan, I wouldn't recommend using any of your credits at buffet meals, because they're simply not a good way to maximize the plan. If the plan is $38 per person per day, and the buffet only costs $18, you're not sticking it to Disney and getting more than what you paid for. If you have a fabulous dinner at the Wave and rack up a per person bill of over $40 on a table service credit, then the dining plan is worth it. It's not worth it if you'll be doing lots of cheaper meals.

Best way to research it is to read the menus at allearsnet.com.

• Geoff London

You can ask front desk anytime for a printout of your charges - even before you settle any balance due. But I do like the idea of having an envelope with bills in it.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

Quote Originally Posted by Goin2Disneyland View Post
    If you're paying for the dining plan, I wouldn't recommend using any of your credits at buffet meals, because they're simply not a good way to maximize the plan. If the plan is $38 per person per day, and the buffet only costs $18, you're not sticking it to Disney and getting more than what you paid for. If you have a fabulous dinner at the Wave and rack up a per person bill of over $40 on a table service credit, then the dining plan is worth it. It's not worth it if you'll be doing lots of cheaper meals.

Best way to research it is to read the menus at allearsnet.com.
    I totally disagree. There are some FABULOUS buffets and most are $26.99 or more per person. Boma and Cape May are our favs, and Ohana, although not a buffet, is all you can eat. We plan on trying 1900 Park Fare, Crystal Palace, and Tusker House this trip as well. And yes - check out Allears.net - they have the menus and the pricing for all of the buffets and restaurants.

If the buffets were only $18, I'd be doing them more often. But they're starting to push close to the $30 mark for dinnertime prices. When I do do a buffet, I usually do it as around 3:00 or so to get the lunchtime price and pretty much the same food you'll get at dinnertime.

Do you guys normally tip at a buffet?

I usally leave a couple bucks for the busboys but since I'm the one getting my own food, the server has it easy.

But I must say this about the appeal of buffets, I like the idea of walkin into a resteraunt and grabbing my food and eating it immediatly. Without the time wasted on sitting down staring at a menu, ordering your food and then waiting for the food to be prepared. It will speed up dining times with the kids, ya know.
    Waz fo' Lunsh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast