Play Areas at the parks

So, pool hopping is off limits - what other play areas and/or water play areas are available at the parks and resorts to let a 5 year old burn off energy before dinner? We found that when we were dining at other resorts, we often arrived early for our reservation and had time to kill which is not fun trying to keep a 5 year old appropriately busy without chasing him around the lobby of the hotel or restaurant. And the same at the parks, often we had some time to kill before dinner, but not enough time for another ride or show.

Any ideas? We will be dining at the Polynesian, AKL, and the Beach Club as well as at AK, Epcot, and MK.

Thanks! - Amy

• Indiana Scott

Re: Play Areas at the parks

It really is odd that Disney doesn't have any playground area's,
    The Viking ship in EPCOT used to have a play area for kids but it got so rotten they closed it up.
    I suppose a nap is out of the question?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

There's a water play area across from the volcano pool at the Polynesian.

At MK there's the Winnie the Pooh playground in Fantasyland and Donald's boat play area in Toontown Fair.

The biggest problem, especially on nights where we are dining at another resort, is that traveling from the park back to Pop for play time, then back to the park and then over to another resort, and back to the park after dinner - all that is too much time wasted in transit. You can't exactly get a bus from Pop to the Polynesian. Which is why it would be nice to just be able to let him burn off some steam at the resort we are eating at. I guess we can just walk the grounds and play on the beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    There's a water play area across from the volcano pool at the Polynesian.

At MK there's the Winnie the Pooh playground in Fantasyland and Donald's boat play area in Toontown Fair.
    Is the water play area you are referring to at the Polynesian open to non-resort guests?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I have no idea. I didn't see any signs that said "Resort Guests Only". Just a sign by the lever to turn on the water explaining how to do it.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Why not just have a search for hidden mickey's. Research online for their hotel locations and have a list ready when you arrive early for your reservations. I mean let's face it, we are just all going to have to arrive early for our reservations so might has well have a fun "together-ness" activity that costs nothing and keeps you and your entire party focused on something instead of everyone doing their own thing.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Disappearing/Reappearing

We ate breakfast at the Poly once, and our daughter (then 4) was perfectly happy taking a walk down by the pool, looking at the flowers, and running on the beach. She loves anywhere there are ducks, and there were plenty in the little ponds along the path.

If nothing else, pack a beach ball (deflated) in your bag for that day, and when you get to Poly blow it up and let the kid kick it around the beach. That should wear them out.

• Why can't you tune a fish

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    If nothing else, pack a beach ball (deflated) in your bag for that day, and when you get to Poly blow it up and let the kid kick it around the beach. That should wear them out.

That is a GREAT idea. Of course mine are older now, but I think that would have been great when they were younger.

-dave
    "I'm gonna build my own amusement park. But with gambling and hookers!" - Bender
    "You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity." - Bullet Tooth Tony

• Disappearing/Reappearing

thanks, a couple of long trips have made me come up with space saving, but fun ideas for my six year old. We've taken 6 trips to WDW. All driving. The last one was after we moved, and it more than doubled the former trip time. This time, it took us about 22 hours of driving. You HAVE to have something to entertain a six year old when you're in the car that long.

another favorite.....a frisbee. You can buy those little soft ones that can easily be folded up and stashed in a purse or backpack. My daughter LOVES playing frisbee. Or take one of those cheap little jump ropes. You can get them for about a buck, they store easily, and can really wear a kid out. All that jumping? They'll be nice and tired when they are done.