Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Haunted Mansion: Why No Merchandise?

I'm a big fan of the Haunted Mansion. It might be my favorite attraction at WDW. I think it's safe to say that it's probably in the top 3 of favorite attractions for guests at WDW. My quesition is why is there no merchandise after guests finish the ride? All WDW has is a little wagon that mostly sells Nightmare before Christmas memorablia. In contrast the Pirates of the Caribean attraction has a hugely expansive store with a variety of merchandise (I realize that they are also capitalizing on the movies). I just feel like Disney is really missing out on a golden opportunity with this attraction. Does anyone else feel the same way? And is there anyplace in WDW that sells better Haunted Mansion merchandise?

• Indiana Scott

Re: Haunted Mansion: Why No Merchandise?

Maybe because there's no movie associated with it?

Well actually there was a movie associated with it-the much aligned (i think underrated) Haunted Mansion movie with Eddie Murphy. But even Splash Mountain has a better store after the ride and that movie is the black sheep of the WD family.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Maybe because there's no movie associated with it?
    There's a movie, but most of us want to forget it ever existed.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

There actually is a small increase in the amount offered, as this past year I beleive at least 3 shirts have been introduced. With luck, all this retro MK merch will be the beginning of a lot more to come...
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

Disney is definitely missing the boat with the dearth of good HM merchandise. I do believe more people love the original attraction than the NBC one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    Disney is definitely missing the boat with the dearth of good HM merchandise. I do believe more people love the original attraction than the NBC one, too.
    and more to the point WDW doesn't have the NBC one so there's little logic in tieing the two together in florida

they had all of two shirts available when i was there over New Years, I bought a blue one with teh wallpaper design on it and "Haunted Mansion" written on the front, otherwise they had a white one with a giant picture of the wallpaper design

anywho, Pirates is a little TOO movie based merchandise wise if you ask me, and Splash is a cartoon, the kind of merchandise Disney seems to love to sell. I have to say I don't care for when it's too cartoony myself but that's probably why I ussualy buy more T-shirtz and other merchandise at a Universal park were I can feel a little more masculine about what I buy.

I have to say I saw Highschool musical generic crap selling for more and selling faster then anything ride specific while I was there in December, made me kinda sad since my Haunted Mansion shirt was on sale for half price :P (I looked for more park specific stuff my other days but didn't find too much to appeal to me)

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

That's funny, while I definitely think there should be MORE Haunted Mansion merchandise, it always seemed to me like there is more HM-specific merchandise than any ride other than pirates. In the past few years there have been a few different T-Shirt designs, bobble-heads, playing cards, rubber ducks, key chains, postcards, mugs, and more. Plushies and action figures were around no too long ago either.

Compare that to other popular attractions like Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Small World: nothing but pins.

I'm not disagreeing with you, though, that I'd rather see that cart filled with Haunted Mansion stuff and have the Nightmare merch sent elsewhere. In general, I'd like to see a lot more ride-specific merchandise.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    That's funny, while I definitely think there should be MORE Haunted Mansion merchandise, it always seemed to me like there is more HM-specific merchandise than any ride other than pirates. In the past few years there have been a few different T-Shirt designs, bobble-heads, playing cards, rubber ducks, key chains, postcards, mugs, and more. Plushies and action figures were around no too long ago either.

Compare that to other popular attractions like Space Mountain, Jungle Cruise, Small World: nothing but pins.

I'm not disagreeing with you, though, that I'd rather see that cart filled with Haunted Mansion stuff and have the Nightmare merch sent elsewhere. In general, I'd like to see a lot more ride-specific merchandise.
    well Tower has quite a bit of ride specific merchandise too but I suppose that's not a MK park

Space had NOTHING when I went in December, at least not as far as I could see, instead it had loads of highschool musical, which was doing so well I wanted to strangle the simple minded people that were buying it.

Why travel all the way to WDW to buy something you can find at any Disney Store in any mall around and then pay three times as much?

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    Why travel all the way to WDW to buy something you can find at any Disney Store in any mall around and then pay three times as much?
    I completely agree Spider. Part of the benefit to going to WDW for me at least is to be able to purchase items that would otherwise be unavaliable. Hopefully with the vintage shirts, the marketing department is headed in the right direction.

And ClockworkMonkey and YoYoFlamingo I agree with you both that there has been some improvement on Haunted Mansion merchandise. Last year I was able to get collectible playing cards that glow in the dark which were a nice novelty. Hopefully Disney can expand upon this unique merchandise in the future.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    Because people check their brains when they go on vacation. They're not running on all 8 cylinders.

• Proradvlx

Other reason could be that Disney tries to produce items that can be used at any, or all, of the different parks, DisneyWorld, DisneyLand, EuroDisney, ect. Problem with the Haunted Mansion is the building is different in each site. That, and Disney has tied a lot of money and merchandise to the HM in DisneyLand with the Nightmare movie. I do totally agree that Disney needs more clothing based merchandise for the HM. I've gone to the Not So Scarry Halloween party four out of the last six years, and the question of HM merchandise comes up there every year.

• Lurker No More!

My solution was to make my own merchandise.

Homemade HM T-Shirt
    ABOMIBOT
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personal Site ABOMIBOT.com | Professional Site Playhead.com | Follow My Tweets
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Gator Dad

I bought a cool HM t-shirt five years ago while at Disney. It's glow-in-the-dark with these abstract images of Mickey and Goofy riding in a HM car alone and then with a ghost in between them. I've about worn the thing out and was disappointed that there was not a good selection to replace it with the last time I was at MK.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ABOMIBOT View Post
    My solution was to make my own merchandise.

Homemade HM T-Shirt
    Careful.. in this day and age, the Team Disney folks will unleash their lawyers on you for copyright infringement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast