Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Super Old Guy

Re: Planning First WDW Trip, any tips???

Quote Originally Posted by bstone76 View Post
    What is the best month to visit WDW?
    Lots of different answers to that question. I really enjoy early December when all the Christmas stuff is going on and the crowds haven't descended yet. I also enjoy a spring visit in April or May, as long as I don't get too close to Easter weekend. I totally stay away from the summer months when the crowds are huge and the weather is scorching. I also stay away from holiday weeks like Easter, July 4th and Christmas/New Years.

• Disneyholic

Ok First off, I would go with Danyoung's advice, mostly because we tend to agree on most things anyway.

A couple things that may help you out:

• Best time to go - This is a very personal thing for most folks, what's best for you low rates, temperature, holiday decor, low crowds, special events, there's way too many factors to answer on a board like this. I can point you to 2009 WDW rate seasons calendar on my site which will give you an idea of when the cheapest times to go are.
    • Meal planning - All meals are now 90 days in advance, if you want to do the Dining plan (Its different than the one in DL - you actually can save money with it at WDW.) you should take this into account, book more than 90 days out.
    • Which part to visit on which day - you can get projected crowd info from the unofficial guide website, if you want the estimate longer than they give you for free either buy the book or subscribe to the website. Both are good investments. Generally speaking if your not staying on property or are not a morning person avoid the park that has the extra magic hours that morning.
    • Take it easy as Dan Said - I don't generally recommend the touring plans or Tour guide Mike's style products as they will have you running back and forth all over the parks on a rather strict time table. They are good products and yes they do work most of the time as advertised, but if your not in good physical shape they will run you into the ground and fast, most folks especially with kids go off plan after a couple days as they just cannot keep up with it.
    • And on that note, get in shape, walk a few extra miles a day before you go, there is a HUGE difference in size between the parks which is often underestimated by folks coming from the West coast.

If you take it easy you'll be fine, not only that you'll see a lot more and enjoy the trip much more than you would by rushing from attraction to attraction. If you need help booking and planning the trip just drop one of us at magical travel a line, that's what we're here for.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Super Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    Ok First off, I would go with Danyoung's advice, mostly because we tend to agree on most things anyway.
    Have I mentioned lately how thoughtful, well rounded and mostly correct you seem to be, Brad?

...get in shape, walk a few extra miles a day before you go...

I'm actually in the middle of this training period myself, 6 weeks out from my next WDW visit. I'm such a couch potato in my normal life, but I've learned from long experience that diving into a Disney vacation without at least some buildup of physical activity makes park storming completely exhausting. I've got a route through my neighborhood that I start walking at least a couple times a week, slowly building up to at least every other day. Funny thing, though - by the time I get done with my vacation, and I'm feeling physically much better than normal, I just can't seem to find a way to sustain the activity. Ah well, at least I have 2 WDW visits and 1 DL visit in an average year to get me off the couch!

Thanks for the info everyone.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Have I mentioned lately how thoughtful, well rounded and mostly correct you seem to be, Brad?
    You have now! Thank you kindly.

I'm actually in the middle of this training period myself, 6 weeks out from my next WDW visit. I'm such a couch potato in my normal life, but I've learned from long experience that diving into a Disney vacation without at least some buildup of physical activity makes park storming completely exhausting. I've got a route through my neighborhood that I start walking at least a couple times a week, slowly building up to at least every other day. Funny thing, though - by the time I get done with my vacation, and I'm feeling physically much better than normal, I just can't seem to find a way to sustain the activity. Ah well, at least I have 2 WDW visits and 1 DL visit in an average year to get me off the couch!
    That's so funny I'm exactly the same way, after you get past the I wish my calves and feet would fall off and I'm feeling pumped and fit when I get home, work just seems to leave me no time to exercise.

Shame my next trip down is in late May, we'll have to coordinate schedules some time Dan, Julie and I would very much like to meet you down there sometime.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Yeah...getting reservations beforehand is thing #1. You should also try planning what parks you plan to visit on what day in advance so you can reserve a restaraunt in the park you're in that day. Mind you, there's nothing wrong with quick services unless you go when it's uber crowded.

Also wear comfortable walking shoes. This is a huge must.

Carry as few things into the parks as possible. Spare yourself security checks whenever you can.

But just in case you might want to bring a poncho to prep for rainy weather...or you can just buy one whenever it starts raining in the parks. Trust me all the gift shops will start bringing out their supply of ponchos for sale once the downpour comes in.

Also...I agree there are certain rides you need to get a Fastpass for right away because they will run out fast.

If in Epcot get a FP for Soarin' ASAP! The FPs will run out for Soarin as early as 11am.

FPs for rides in other parks vary.

If you want to go on Kilomajaro Safaris without FPs or long waits go when the Jungle Jammin Parade starts. If you dont want to miss the parade find a place near the entrance to Kilomajaro Safaris and watch the parade from there as soon as it starts at 3. Then once the parade had passed you...you can immediatly head straight to Kilomajaro Safaris with no waiting.

Dont be like me. Be patient.

Wow if FP's run out that early the parks must be much busier than Disneyland. I have another question, I am looking for the best value. Anyone have any recommedations for a value or moderate hotel? Are there Non-Disney hotels that have easy access to the parks. I'm probably not going to go until January or February next year, but I want to get an early start.

I'm trying to balance price vs easy access to the parks.

It really depends when you go, it's important to be aware of which "season" you're visiting during, that will help you anticipate crowds and you can plan your approach accordingly.

We went during the middle of January, and it was definitely the low season. Lighter crowds, cheaper hotel rates, much more pleasant all around. For reference, we saw fastpasses available for Soarin into the late afternoon.

I'd recommend Pop Century, we were completely satisfied. $82 a night was a nice deal.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by bstone76 View Post
    Wow if FP's run out that early the parks must be much busier than Disneyland. I have another question, I am looking for the best value. Anyone have any recommedations for a value or moderate hotel? Are there Non-Disney hotels that have easy access to the parks. I'm probably not going to go until January or February next year, but I want to get an early start.

I'm trying to balance price vs easy access to the parks.

First off it sounds like your looking for the lowest price, and, when you figure cost of rental car, gas, and the $12 parking it's generally cheaper to stay at one of the value resorts on property especially with the deals going on right now. If you have 4 or less people in your party the Value resorts will be cheapest, of all of them I like the Pop Century the best. If you have a larger party (say 5 with a small person in there) Port Orleans Riverside will be your best bet as you can get a trundle bed in the alligator bayou section of the resort which will be your cheapest bet. There really are no bad choices with the Disney resorts, its more a matter of personal preference in terms of theme, convenience and types of amenities.

Thanks. It will just be my gf and me and I figure we won't be in the hotel much so it sounds like pop century is a good bet. Anyone know if there is an interactive map of the property?

www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Pathetically Obsessed

Dan and Mike - I've got everyone in the same 'training' mode for our first WDW trip as well! We're out walking with the kids, I got them all new athletic shoes with feet pads and we're breaking them in on our walks right now. In addition, I want to look good in the pool, so I'm riding my exercise bike every day for an hour. I've already lost 15 lbs since January, and could stand another 15, but I'll settle for 5 more before we go in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!

"Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Super Old Guy

Wow - 15 pounds since January? I've been happy with the 9 pounds I've managed to lose, with hopefully another 5 or so in the next 5 weeks. But then I'm cheating a lot - food is just so danged tasty!!!

• I'll Break your Thumbs!!

Quote Originally Posted by msflames2000 View Post
    Hello all this is my first posting as a new member. Im planning on going to WDW sometime this year and would love all the tips and hints I could get. I have a condo for a week, just no idea on when to go and what to see. All tips would graciously be accepted. Thank you.
    Eat at Ohana'

It is located at the Polynesian resort, and it offers the best food in all of WDW!! As soon as you know when you are going, call Disney dining (407-WDW-DINE) and make reservations, as they fill up pretty fast.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Here's another tip or at least a decision we've made regarding transportation while we're on our first trip to WDW in less than three weeks! (We're also DL vets)

You can take taxis to, from, or between theme parks (works well when you want to park hop), and we really struggled with the decision about how we were going to get around during our visit. After reading a very well-thought out post (First time WDW vacations for DL vets), we've decided to just be in one theme park each day. That decision saved us some cash on park tickets; we declined to buy park hoppers saving us $$$.

We are going for 10 days/9 evenings (two are travel from and back to Seattle). We have a time share also, so we're good for 7 of our 9 nights.

We decided to spend our first couple of nights on property (Port Orleans - Riverside) and mulled the question of transportation. Here's what we decided:

• We'll use Magical Express from Orlando Airport to our hotel on property and use the buses to get us to/from the parks from PO-R for the days we stay on property.
    • We'll get a rental car when we move off-property (and went with Enterprise because they'll come get me at PO-R). Then we'll drive that back to Orlando Airport (with a drop-off fee) when we leave. We figured this was easier than taking the time share shuttle or taking taxis everywhere. The $$ is a little more for a rental car (we got a great deal - so no complaints there), but thought that it beat having to rely on calling taxis all the time.

Hope this helps. I got a lot of advice after I posted here in MC as well. Good luck!
    Last edited by InspiredByWalt; 03-16-2009 at 03:19 PM.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast