Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Planning First WDW Trip, any tips???

Hello all this is my first posting as a new member. Im planning on going to WDW sometime this year and would love all the tips and hints I could get. I have a condo for a week, just no idea on when to go and what to see. All tips would graciously be accepted. Thank you.

• Banned User

Re: Planning First WDW Trip, any tips???

The best advice is to go in the off-season (which is whenever the kids are in school lol). Avoid any holiday periods, and summer. Spend at least a week at WDW, as it is huge and it takes a bit of time to get around to see everything. If you can't go for at least a week, put a priority on the big E Ticket attractions. I would recommend buying one of the WDW travel guide books, which will list and describe the top attractions at each park.

Don't go to the Magic Kingdom on the weekend, or on a Monday. A lot of people arrive at WDW on Sunday, and then go to the MK first, on Monday. You will have more manageable crowds if you go to that park in mid-week.

The most popular ride in all of WDW now is Toy Story Mania, so try to go to Disney Hollywood Studios in the morning, and get in line before rope drop. Then head straight for that ride (just follow the crowd, they'll lead you straight to it lol) and grab a fast pass for TSM. Walk fast, but don't run. After securing your FP, get in line for that ride. This way, you will be able to do TSM at least twice during one day. Later on, the lines for the ride will be ridiculous, and the FPs will be all gone. When not on TSM, you should be able to breeze into most other attractions in the park, since TSM will be drawing most patrons away from them. You should be able to ride Tower of Terror multiple times, and it is a GREAT ride.

Another bit of advice is to pace yourself. WDW is HUGE, and it is impossible to see and do everything in a few days. Take time to enjoy yourself and relax a little; it will be a more enjoyable vacation that way, and you won't end up exhausted and foot sore long before it's over.

One more thing: ride the Haunted Mansion! My favorite ride at WDW.

Thanks for the info. Luckly I'm an annual passholder for disneyland and have ridden TSM several times there. Im mostly interested in Mansion, and POTC. I would love to see the differences in those rides.

• Geoff London

Buy a copy of the "Unofficial Guide To Walt Disney world". It will tell you everything you could possibly want to know.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

I just went to WDW for the first time last December. The biggest advice I can suggest is sign up for tourguidemike.com. It was the best $20 bucks or so I spent. I didn't wait in a line longer than 20 minutes my whole 10 day trip.

Don't miss HM there, it is awesome. POTC at DL is much better.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Don't try to storm the parks from opening till closing. Get to your park of choice around 20 minutes or so before opening, enjoy till noonish, then head to one of the hotels for lunch, and then back to your hotel for a swim and a nap. Head back to the park of your choice for the rest of the evening, closing it out and enjoying the nightly fireworks shows in 3 of the 4 parks.

Have fun, and keep the questions coming!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Don't try to storm the parks from opening till closing.
    Heh, while that's mighty good advice, some of us like to spend every possible second in the parks.

For what it's worth, there are lots of great "peak afternoon" attractions to enjoy that are both relaxing and not too crowded. A dip in the pool is definitely relaxing, but you can easily lose 3 or 4 hours with a mid-day trip back to your hotel. That's all well and good if you've got long park hours, but if you visit in the low season, that's a huge chunk of the day.

Just depends on how aggressive you and your family/friends want to be. Then again, I don't have kids with me!
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

sarki7, I almost always travel alone, so I don't have kids to factor in. But at 52, I just don't have the energy to do a park open to park close. Now, when I was a young'un, leaving Disneyland before it closed at 1am was simply NOT going to happen!

Haha, fair enough. Going 8am to midnight for a week straight is beyond pushing it. I'm not saying we weren't exhausted, but most days we were looking at park hours from 9am until 7pm (excluding EMH). With only ten hours, a couple circuits on TTA (for example) is a nice, quick respite.

• Banned User

MsFlames, since you're a DLR regular, I would say make sure you don't miss the attractions which are not available at your home parks. For example, Disney Hollywood has Rock n' Roller Coaster, The Great Movie Ride, and Indiana Jones and Beauty and the Beast stage shows. At Animal Kingdom, don't miss Everest, Dinosaur, or Kilimanjaro Safaris. At EPCOT, most of the park is not available in Cali; one great offering that is easy to overlook is The American Experience, an AA show at the American Pavillion in World Showcase. Don't miss it; it's even been recently refurbished. At the Magic Kingdom, the Pooh ride in Fantasyland is far superior to DL's Pooh, and also make sure you catch Mickey's PhilharMagic (also in Fantasyland) which is hands down the best 3D/4D movie in any theme park. This will also be your chance to catch two attractions which are now extinct at DL: Country Bears and Carrousel of Progress.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    At the Magic Kingdom, the Pooh ride in Fantasyland is far superior to DL's Pooh
    Is that right? Hmm, I didn't notice much difference. What did I miss? I was assuming the significantly higher popularity was because it wasn't tucked away in the back of the park.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Don't try to storm the parks from opening till closing. Get to your park of choice around 20 minutes or so before opening, enjoy till noonish, then head to one of the hotels for lunch, and then back to your hotel for a swim and a nap. Head back to the park of your choice for the rest of the evening, closing it out and enjoying the nightly fireworks shows in 3 of the 4 parks.

Have fun, and keep the questions coming!
    Good advice, but the OP said they're going to have a condo for a week, so they won't be staying on property.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Good advice, but the OP said they're going to have a condo for a week, so they won't be staying on property.
    I'd still say go back to your room for a nap. It's just too much to try to stay in a park from open till closing. With a rental car this is not too difficult to accomplish.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    Is that right? Hmm, I didn't notice much difference. What did I miss? I was assuming the significantly higher popularity was because it wasn't tucked away in the back of the park.
    I was about to try to explain the difference, but then I noticed the wink...

Oh, no, shoot - I didn't mean that wink. I actually didn't notice much difference besides the placement of the ride, and the station. Once in the show building, they seemed pretty similar. I noticed the flood scene was at the end instead, but not much else.
    Last edited by sarki7; 01-29-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast