Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Strange lawsuit filed against Disney World and ToT

In a very strange news piece, Disney is being sued by a guest over being banned from the Walt Disney World parks. According to the article a local woman by the name of Denise Mooty used to frequently visit the Studios for the sole purpose of riding Twilight Zone: Tower of Terror over and over. She claims to suffer from something called abdominal adhesions which has something to do with growing internal scar tissue around certain organs that are quite painful and often require repeated surgery to break apart. Apparently the only thing that helped with the pain, and even cut back on the number of surgeries needed, was riding the Tower of Terror over and over. It seems the airtime and negative-G’s from the ride were a great way to ‘break up the scar tissue”.

Now that is all fine and great, but it seems that she somehow got someone at Disney to issue her a “Guest Assistance Card” allowing her to cut to the front of the line. While the article doesn’t mention it the video version of the report mentions that she would ride the Tower “up to 50 times a day” with this pass until a CM decided to revoke her pass. From here she jumps to the fact that she was then banned from Disney property, but I think there has got to be a bit more to the story that we’re not being told.

Obviously the CM felt that she was abusing the Guest Assistance Card, and I’ve got to admit jumping to the front of the line to ride Tower of Terror 50 times a day would certainly give them just cause to do so. But I feel certain that there must have been some kind of altercation following this that led to her being banned from all of the Disney parks that we haven’t been told about yet, as Disney doesn’t usually make it a habit of banning people from the parks without a well documented reason to do so. So far Disney has yet to officially respond to this story.

In the meantime I can only dream about what it must be like to be able to ride the Tower of Terror 50 times in a day…

Walt's love of Trains!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Strange lawsuit filed against Disney World and ToT

Got a link to the story/video?

DisneylandRRGuy, did you just copy and paste that from Screamscape word for word?

aimster, here's a link to the original article, posted on cfnews13.com
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Inappropriate

Wait, why do I remember reading about this a few months ago?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I would think that riding TOT 50 times a day can actually create adverse long term health effects. Once in awhile is one thing. All day long is something entirely different. The amount of time on TOT spent in 0 gravity is minimal, but with constant exposure to this day in and day out, I guarantee that there would be some detrimental effects to the circulatory system especially.

Disney was right in what they did.

Really? "adverse long term health effects"? Hmm. I'm no doctor, but I highly doubt there's much chance of that. This ride may be intense for Disney standards, but there are plenty of significantly more extreme rides that people ride just as much. I'm by no means saying that this ride couldn't be dangerous to anyone, but without preexisting conditions - chances of injury due solely to long term/frequent exposure seem very unlikely in my eyes.

I'm not so quick to judge, especially because the details might not be all there. For what it's worth, it's private property and Disney can ban whoever they like. With that in mind, I'd be surprised if this woman were allowed to continue this odd practice. Maybe she'll get unbanned, but that may be pushing it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Wait, why do I remember reading about this a few months ago?
    I'm not sure, it's new (as of yesterday) to both screamscape and this new channel.

Then again, maybe you heard about this guest's situation before - and the lawsuit is new?

• Rock Star Minion

She should get a prescription from her physician.

I guess we can debate whether brain damage was there before this behavior or the repeated exposure caused it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Heh, I chuckled at your brain damage comment, and then felt kind bad for doing so.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

there's gotta be something else going on. Something that we aren't being told. I highly doubt Disney would ban someone from the parks without a really good reason.

Agreed, something is fishy. And what about this:
    Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger issued this statement on Wednesday: "Ms. Mooty's claims are without merit. She was trespassed for causing a disturbance within the presence of other guests and using foul language toward a Cast Member."
    "She was trespassed for causing a disturbance within the presence of other guests"??

Not exactly smooth talking for a spokesperson.

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    DisneylandRRGuy, did you just copy and paste that from Screamscape word for word?

aimster, here's a link to the original article, posted on cfnews13.com

No someone from myspace

Walt's love of Trains!

Yes, the situation is old as far as the banning goes (I believe she got the boot in September... that may be off though), but the lawsuit is freshly filed.

Ah, yes, it's right in the article:
    She said in August 2008 an employee told her she wasn't allowed to have it anymore. Mooty said she was then banned from ever coming back on property.
    Not 100% clear if the banning followed immediately after revoking the pass, but I think it's safe to assume it was not too much later.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Maybe they felt like she obtained the pass by lying or some other means and banned her for that?

According to sources on another board, she was constantly using the pass and getting multiple rerides with it at the ToT attraction. Suddenly newer CMs (or CMs working the attraction from other attraction areas) who didn't necessarily "know her story" started refusing her usage of the pass, or limiting the use of it.

She went and tried to get a refund for her AP, and Disney refused. She then was suddenly asked not to reenter any of the parks and was thus "banned from property." At least, that's the best way I can summarize what has been explained on a certain "Magic"al board about "WDW"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast