Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How much has Mission Space been toned down?

So I realize there is a spinning (Orange), and non-spinning (Green) version of Mission Space. I FINALLY got to ride, and being the insane thrill seeker I am, I didn't even glance at the Green side. Orange was fun, definitely an innovative and authentic take on the simulator experience.

But my question is, how does the current "intense" experience compare to the what the attraction was like when it first opened? I was told by a local in line that even the intense side has been toned down dramatically, "Every other person was getting sick". Was it really that bad? Were the G's more intense? Not too sound too nutty, but can anyone describe how much I missed out on??

For reference, I'm a huge fan of X, at SFMM. If that means something to you, than you know why I feel cheated by the toned down version of M:S.
    Last edited by sarki7; 01-31-2009 at 04:47 PM.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: How much has Mission Space been toned down?

On the "Green" side, the centrifuges don't spin. They just shake a lot. I've tried bth and "Green" is the way to go if you're unsure of "Orange" or you want to experience the ride but know your tummy can't handle "Orange". I've done both.

Hey, cool - I definitely went with Orange, I'm always looking for a thrill. I'm pretty familiar with the difference between the two current versions.

But what I'm asking about is what the ride was like when it first opened, not what it does now.

The Orange is the original format. Nothing has changed with that. They just created the Green so people who normally avoid the ride do to various circumstances (mostly the barfing) could experience a less intense version.

So the version I experienced earlier this month is no less intense than what the ride offered when it first opened (e.g., soft opening)? Really? When did you first ride?
    Last edited by sarki7; 01-31-2009 at 05:49 PM.

• Inappropriate

I've been riding the ride since soft opening, and the orange side still feels the same to me as it did pre-opening day.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Huh, no kidding? Thanks! Wow, that really makes me wonder what this follow rider was talking about. Not sure if he was just boasting (we were obviously out-of-towners), or if he had just gotten used to it, but he was most certainly explaining that even the Orange side had been toned down. The comment about every 3rd rider getting motion sickness really surprised me. (But then again, if there was only an Orange side, I suppose I could see your average Disney park goer having a hard time.)

I suppose my stomach is stronger than I realized. I got off the riding thinking, "Is that IT?" But in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    So the version I experienced earlier this month is no less intense than what the ride offered when it first opened (e.g., soft opening)? Really? When did you first ride?
    Exactly.

I first rode Mission Space the year it opened. Then after people started getting sick and all the drama with that and they made half the centrifuges the Green ones, I tried those to compare. While I love thrills, my stomach can only handle the G forces on Orange so much. But the slingshot around the moon is still fun even on the Green side. That's my favorite part.

It's pretty normal for people to experience something over and over and be less affected or less impressed by it the more they experience it. Research psychologists (which is how I was trained) call it "practice effects" and clinical/counseling psychologists call it desensitization.

In other words, it's human nature to ride M:S a bunch of tims and believe that it must have been toned down.

Aimster is correct ... it hasn't changed.

• Gator Dad

I rode it once and didn't think it was all that spectacular. Wondered what all the hype was about. Wish Disney would bring back Body Wars (or maybe they have since my last visit?). That was the best ride at EPCOT in my opinion. Never forget my fifth-grade field trip to EPCOT. I was in a group chaperoned by the school principal. We rode Body Wars first thing and ol' Mr. White spent the rest of the day with his head buried in trash cans. Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Aimster is correct ... it hasn't changed.
    I am stunned. For one, that this person would go out of his way to tell us how it had changed. Believe me, I know all about desensitization to repeated physical forces, but being less effected by a ride is a far cry from mistakenly reporting that Disney had altered the ride experience.

But mostly because I got off the ride and thought that I was missing something. Seemed pretty watered-down to me - not that I have any baseline. And obviously I'm not the only one: Mission:SPACE
    Last edited by sarki7; 02-01-2009 at 08:37 AM.

• Banned User

I think this whole stuff about "every second or third person" getting sick was grossly (pun not intended) exaggerated. You hear stories about a new ride, and everything gets blown out of proportion. I'm sure some people did get sick, but I think it is mostly due to people not following the "rules". The rules are simple, and I was very careful to follow them when I braved the orange side:

a) keep your eyes straight ahead, don't look side to side;
    b) don't close your eyes during the ride.

That's it. And, if you know you have a sensitive stomach, you stick to the green side. I assume people are following those rules now, because I rode M:S several times and never saw anyone get sick.

Exaggerated, sure - but new ride? This has been out for a while now.

But your point is still valid - I can see the average Disney guest going on this and having a bad reaction. I, instead, was underwhelmed. I made sure to put my head forward, look side to side - anything to feel the spinning. It was no worse than going full-tilt on the teacups.

• Banned User

You actually feel the spinning in another way: spinning is what creates the G forces on your body during the acceleration portions of the ride. However, if you break the rules, you will feel diziness as well.

All that being said, you're a guy who likes extreme thrill rides like X, so a ride like M:S is not likely to have much impact on you. Personally, I love M:S, and do consider it a thrill ride. But I've also been on much more intense rides. I don't feel that M:S needs to be very intense, because the whole package is a unique experience.

Quote Originally Posted by urbandonovan View Post
    I rode it once and didn't think it was all that spectacular. Wondered what all the hype was about. Wish Disney would bring back Body Wars (or maybe they have since my last visit?). That was the best ride at EPCOT in my opinion. Never forget my fifth-grade field trip to EPCOT. I was in a group chaperoned by the school principal. We rode Body Wars first thing and ol' Mr. White spent the rest of the day with his head buried in trash cans. Classic!
    I doubt Body Wars will ever come back. The Wonders of Life pavilion is only used as a festival center now for the Flower & Garden and Food & Wine festivals. The big mural over the attraction entrance has been painted over. The simulators are still in there though as they've been doing testing for Star Tours 2.0 in there.

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    I am stunned. For one, that this person would go out of his way to tell us how it had changed.
    This person obviously either didn't know what they were talking about or they were deliberately trying to fool you.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    The rules are simple, and I was very careful to follow them when I braved the orange side:

a) keep your eyes straight ahead, don't look side to side;
    b) don't close your eyes during the ride.
    And when they tell you these rules, they mean them and extect you to follow them. I once closed my eyes for a brief second and felt a little queasy for maybe an hour afterwards. I just took it real slow for awhile and had something light to eat and a Coke to drink (Coke can sometimes help an upset tummy if 7Up or ginger ale isn't available).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast