Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

40th Anniversary in 2011

If you read Mouseplanet, please forgive me for asking some of the same questions I asked there.

I have questions that I don't think anyone knows the answers for yet, so feel free to put on your speculation hats and jump in with your predictions.

1. I think Walt Disney World opened in Oct. of 1971, but I'm guessing that Disney will celebrate WDW's 40th Anniversary from January of 2011 through about September (Halloween) of 2012.
    When do you think the 40th Anniversary celebrations will begin and end?

2. Do you think there will be a film made for the occasion
    like Disneyland's 50th Anniversary movie starring Steve Martin that is still showing?
    (question 2.1: If so, who should star in it?
    question 2.2: Will there be a special parade or fireworks show?)

3. Will Walt Disney World be spruced up so it sparkles the way Disneyland did for it's 50th Anniversary,
    or
    will WDW's 40th be the news peg that makes Kevin Yee an Al Lutz-like go-to guy for the national media's focus on the decrepit-looking missing paint along with articles on how WDW has both grown and declined?

Re: 40th Anniversary in 2011

I would imagine MK will have a new daytime parade, although I would like to see a new daytime parade AND a replacement for SpectroMagic. Spectro is just way to old and outdated. I know it has been rumored for a long time now about leaving but it does not seem to be going anywhere anytime soon unfortunately.

• Mouse at work

My guess is that if the current economy doesn't get better, WDW will just get refurbished in the areas that really need some TLC and Disney will wait for 2021 (when i'll be 28!! :[ ) and they will plan something very HUGE that will blow the whole world away!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    If you read Mouseplanet, please forgive me for asking some of the same questions I asked there.

I have questions that I don't think anyone knows the answers for yet, so feel free to put on your speculation hats and jump in with your predictions.

1. I think Walt Disney World opened in Oct. of 1971, but I'm guessing that Disney will celebrate WDW's 40th Anniversary from January of 2011 through about September (Halloween) of 2012.
    When do you think the 40th Anniversary celebrations will begin and end?

2. Do you think there will be a film made for the occasion like Disneyland's 50th Anniversary movie starring Steve Martin that is still showing?
    (question 2.1: If so, who should star in it?
    question 2.2: Will there be a special parade or fireworks show?)

3. Will Walt Disney World be spruced up so it sparkles the way Disneyland did for it's 50th Anniversary, or will WDW's 40th be the news peg that makes Kevin Yee an Al Lutz-like go-to guy for the national media's focus on the decrepit-looking missing paint along with articles on how WDW has both grown and declined?
    1. WDW (which was only the MK at the time) opened October 1, 1971. If there's any celebration at all, it'll probably start on Oct 1, 2011 and go until who knows when. Considering Disneyland Paris' 15th has been going on for almost 2 years now....

But also consider MK's 30th and 35th were been pretty much all but ignored. All the 35th got was a lousy pin release. Even EPCOT's 25th was almost ignored until the outcry became enough they managed to throw together a rededication ceremony and a small history of the park exhibit at the last minute. And this year is the Studios park's 20th anniversary. I doubt we'll see anything more than a pin for that as well.

2. Don't bet your paycheck. Where would they show it?

3. Again, don't count on it.

• Mouse at work

Agreed.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It's really sad because people pay for that commerative anniversary stuff. Disney is missing out on a great marketing plug. Even drunken monkeys would realize the potential.

• Mouse at work

i think they'd rather do a rather huge spectacle in 202 then "waste" money in this mess of an economy.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    1. And this year is the Studios park's 20th anniversary. I doubt we'll see anything more than a pin for that as well.

2. Don't bet your paycheck. Where would they show it?

3. Again, don't count on it.
    The Studios really doesn't elicit the same emotions as MK or EPCOT though. It's kind of the sibling that gets no attention. I bet WDW it wasn't worth their time to honor the Studios, and frankly, I'm glad they didn't since it's really in no shape to celebrate anyway.

2. Walt Disney Story Theater is still wasting away in the exposition hall. Easy to make it an exhibit similar to DL's 50th. Not saying they will, but it could be done.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• Banned User

I agree as well Aimster..
    I honestly do not believe that WDW will care to celebrate the 40th anniversary in the grand style the MK park (and WDW as a whole) deserves. If those drunken monkeys learned their lesson.. they could clearly see what the 50th did to DL bottom line, how the 15th has invigorated the attendance numbers at DLP, and how TDR continues to expand it's impressive legacy of entertainment after their fabulous 25th anniversary this year.. now winding down with it's "Grand Finale" event until april.
    All of these are bonanzas in merchandise and attendance increases. Why WDW does not feel their celebrations are worth it is besides me. Maybe they were so embarrased by their Pepto-Abysmal castle back in 96, they do not feel it is necesary anymore to do these celebrations, instead passng the excuse to guests who may have a reason to celebrate like their birthdays or anniversaries of their own?

SAD.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    The Studios really doesn't elicit the same emotions as MK or EPCOT though. It's kind of the sibling that gets no attention.
    I do not know I care to agree Yoyo dear... The Studios do not elicit the same emotional attachment we all feel for the MK park, however, it is hardly neglected. Let's compare.. The addition of some popular new classic rides.. like TOT and Star Tours. Big live shows like Motor, Action. Toy Story Mania ride. All new (to FL at least) parade.. in Block party Bash, and the lastest TV plug for American Idol in the TV Theater. Hardly a neglected park. In the meantime.. what have we got at the MK? A small update on POTC and HM rides, stale attempts with Stitch and Monsters in Tomorrowland, a parade that gets recycled for the 3rd time, a playground for kids replacing an E-ticket, and horrors!! an extremely watered down version of one of TDL's most elaborate night time castle shows ever. Certainly not the type of stuff the beloved MK park should get.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I do not know I care to agree Yoyo dear... The Studios do not elicit the same emotional attachment we all feel for the MK park, however, it is hardly neglected. Let's compare.. The addition of some popular new classic rides.. like TOT and Star Tours. Big live shows like Motor, Action. Toy Story Mania ride. All new (to FL at least) parade.. in Block party Bash, and the lastest TV plug for American Idol in the TV Theater. Hardly a neglected park. In the meantime.. what have we got at the MK? A small update on POTC and HM rides, stale attempts with Stitch and Monsters in Tomorrowland, a parade that gets recycled for the 3rd time, a playground for kids replacing an E-ticket, and horrors!! an extremely watered down version of one of TDL's most elaborate night time castle shows ever. Certainly not the type of stuff the beloved MK park should get.
    I knew I chose the wrong words here. TDLFAN, I didn't mean in terms of number of attractions added, since I did realize the Studios has been given more than MK. I meant more that the Studios is the Jan of the Disney Theme Park Brady Bunch. Ask 100 people and how many are going to tell you they are going to the Studios first? I'm willing to bet the majority will say MK or EPCOT, and the Studios will be waylaid in 3rd or maybe even 4th place because there just isn't as much magic there. Even if the Mk has its share of problems, which it does, the Studios has just as many, and the addition of items like the American Idol and even the overhyped LMA will keep the Studios to me a park that I go to for 3-4 attractions, where at least at the MK I enjoy many more than that.

I'm not sure if this even made any sense, but I do know the Studios has, and is rumored to get more, but it's just not on the par of the MK or EPCOT is I guess what I was trying to say?

I don't even think I know what I was saying anymore...

• Banned User

Hmmm. Well, I think I understand what you are saying but I do tend to separate the numbers apart. People will always come here for the MK first and foremost, and that includes the very infrequent guest. But when it comes to neglecting the Studios over the MK, I strongly believe the latter is the most neglected (and in most need of TLC) of the 4 WDW parks. I personally choose DAK over the Studios if you want to know where I stand because DAK provides a Disney themed quality that is far above what the other parks offer, including EPCOT. Bottom line is.. the MK deserves more attention and being the park that defines the "Disney" experience, the management there should stop trying to pimp up the other parks because guests will always place the MK, and even EPCOT, high on the list. I think your last post even agrees wth me on this statement.

If they wanted to get more people to visit DAK and DHS, over the MK or EPCOT.. All they have to do is lower the admission prices to those particular parks and see people using those multiday and hopper passes to the fullest. Keep in mind that a percentage of WDW guests still skip DAK for the lesser experiences the DHS park offers.. maybe they should have installed a free falling elevator inside the Tree of Life.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Well, I think I understand what you are saying but I do tend to separate the numbers apart. People will always come here for the MK first and foremost, and that includes the very infrequent guest. But when it comes to neglecting the Studios over the MK, I strongly believe the latter is the most neglected (and in most need of TLC) of the 4 WDW parks. I personally choose DAK over the Studios if you want to know where I stand because DAK provides a Disney themed quality that is far above what the other parks offer, including EPCOT. Bottom line is.. the MK deserves more attention and being the park that defines the "Disney" experience, the management there should stop trying to pimp up the other parks because guests will always place the MK, and even EPCOT, high on the list. I think your last post even agrees wth me on this statement.

If they wanted to get more people to visit DAK and DHS, over the MK or EPCOT.. All they have to do is lower the admission prices to those particular parks and see people using those multiday and hopper passes to the fullest. Keep in mind that a percentage of WDW guests still skip DAK for the lesser experiences the DHS park offers.. maybe they should have installed a free falling elevator inside the Tree of Life.
    Agreed completely, TDLFAN. While management might neglect MK more, which is apparent, visitors chose to visit the other 2 older parks before DHS and DAK. That's exactly what I meant, and if I am reading your post correctly, is essentially what you are saying as well.

And personally, I enjoy DAK over the Studios by far!

• Banned User

I knew that you and I had more in common than just aw-shucks good looks. We most definitely agree on this and furthermore, this is the core reason why I rant so often on the MK. This is the park they claim is the most visited in the World (even when I see many more guests at TDL any given day).. so for heaven's sake, if DL, DLP, TDL and even small baby HKDL can offer a great themed experience that oftentimes is state of the art... why is the MK a stale relic museum of Disney parks? My guts feeling would be for this park to be the best possible operation since it is being seen by the most number of guests in the World. I think management need to get off this "they are tourists! what do they know?" way of seeing things to justify their lack of interest in the MK's future. What little has been done so far is very welcomed but it is still very little for a park that enjoys such popularity.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I knew that you and I had more in common than just aw-shucks good looks. We most definitely agree on this and furthermore, this is the core reason why I rant so often on the MK. This is the park they claim is the most visited in the World (even when I see many more guests at TDL any given day).. so for heaven's sake, if DL, DLP, TDL and even small baby HKDL can offer a great themed experience that oftentimes is state of the art... why is the MK a stale relic museum of Disney parks? My guts feeling would be for this park to be the best possible operation since it is being seen by the most number of guests in the World. I think management need to get off this "they are tourists! what do they know?" way of seeing things to justify their lack of interest in the MK's future. What little has been done so far is very welcomed but it is still very little for a park that enjoys such popularity.
    And with the increased revenue for the #1 visited park, funnel it back in to make it better and better.

Ironic to include a quote from the Studios (Muppets) in this argument though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast