• Tour Ready

Help For a Disneylander visiting WDW Please!

WDW Experts-

We have decided to be crazy and book a quick WDW visit. We have been before and since we were coming from California, splurged on the Poly. Since this is a crazy trip on a shoestring budget, we decided on a package that has us staying at the All Star Resorts. I have heard that the all stars are very far away from the theme parks. Do you have any advice as to which of the all star will get us to the parks quicker. Which resort or building is the most convienient or closest to the shuttles? Thanks for the expertise in advance!

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Re: Help For a Disneylander visiting WDW Please!

I believe all of them are only far away from the Magic Kingdom and the surrounding Magic Kingdom resort hotels, in case you decide to dine at one of their hotel resturants.

Animal Kingdom is very close to the value resorts and Epcot/DHS are fairly close. All the value resorts have multiple shuttle stops located near your selected building that you are assigned. Just make sure to ask the front desk to mark on the map which bus shuttle you will need to go to to get to the buses.

Now depending how the buses run sometimes you will be the first picked up and will have to make multiple stops around the value resort to pick up more people. Other times you will be the last stop before the buses head to your park destination.

And even sometimes, when the bus is full just after one stop you will just go straight to the parks. Now if you're very impatient for some reason and just have to get somewhere in the theme park resort area then by all means call for a taxi or ask for front desk assistance in calling a taxi service.

If you really want to know where the buses pick up first and which building the buses stop at first do just go ahead and call the resort themselves, the lines are open 24 hours, and ask about the bus pick up pattern. Do have a map of the resort in front of you on the PC when you call so when they refer to buildings you know which one they are talking about.

Now if the person is rude on the phone or in no mood to help then by all means do ask to speak to someone else or hang up and call a few minutes later, most of the time you'll get a different person who is more than willing to help you the best way they can.

Once you have your information then you can request on your resveration to be placed in which building you think works best for you. Usually it's best to be picked up first so you can grab a seat whereas having to wait for a full bus to arrive and the slight chance of you having to stand the entire way to the resort.

I personally love to ask to have the building and rooms that are very close to the "preferred hotel rooms" but that are still considered "standard rooms". It's almost like having preferred rooms but not having to pay extra for the preferred rate.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Banned User

All three of the All-Star Resorts share the same security gate to enter, so basically the distance from there to the parks is all the same. However, look at it this way.. closest park from there is DAK, followed by DHS, EPCOT and finally the MK being the farthest. Still, a non-stop trip from the All-stars to the MK takes 10 mins or so, it is not that far.. but far enough. Remember.. MK is in Orange Co. The All-Stars are in Osceola Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck
    Now if the person is rude on the phone or in no mood to help then by all means do ask to speak to someone else or hang up and call a few minutes later, most of the time you'll get a different person who is more than willing to help you the best way they can.
    Rude people working at WDW? If that was the case, I'd go back to DLR then!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Rude people working at WDW? If that was the case, I'd go back to DLR then!

They definitely exist.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• World Traveler

If you're going for just a few days, you might want to splurge on a rental car. Not only will this allow you to spend valuable time on your vacation, but you'll also be able to go to off site restaurants, where you can save lots of money as opposed to always dining at WDW.

If you're staying for more that just a few days, this might not be worth it for you, though.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Agreed, I like having a car and heading over to the beach when fate allows. My understanding, and I'm sure I could be wrong, was that the busses start at the northern most resort, All-Star Sports and move down the street, filling up along the way, with passengers. Once full, they'll move out.

But just like public transit in the world beyond the World, there is a mixture of good and bad. The families that have stayed up too late and junior is screaming, the teens escaping their parents; but there is also the fans like yourself and the couple on their honeymoon. The key? YOU and how you respond.

AK is very close. Epcot not as much, but the MK is a bit of a trek.

The food at the resort itself ain't that great--you have a car, you get find better off site.

Enjoy, tho, don't let the details or the naysayers drag ya into the quaqmire! You wanna have fun? Do it!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

If you can swtich to Pop Century it is better. They don't share buses with the other value resorts. Only took about 20 minutes to get to MK. All the other parks were 10-15 minutes.

• When Will It Return?

For convenient bus service, pick the All-Star Sports Resort. All-Star Sports enjoys first pick up at the Resort when heading to the parks, and first drop off when coming back to All-Stars from the parks.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    For convenient bus service, pick the All-Star Sports Resort. All-Star Sports enjoys first pick up at the Resort when heading to the parks, and first drop off when coming back to All-Stars from the parks.
    Oh yes I forgot about that! I stayed at the sports hotel and we were the first picked up and the first dropped off. I remembering loving that but somehow forgetting all about it.

And yes Pop Century is so big that they have their own buses that don't go to the other value resorts.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    They definitely exist.
    I know they do. I was being sarcastic. I can recall one particular incident involving a very rude CM in the Pooh Ride. Ghetto trash from the Bronx... according to his nametag.

• Mostly Harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I know they do. I was being sarcastic. I can recall one particular incident involving a very rude CM in the Pooh Ride. Ghetto trash from the Bronx... according to his nametag.
    While we were waiting for the Jedi Training Acadamy my wife and I noticed 2 CMs that were doing nothing but complaining about a third. They were getting all worked up and then they'd both storm off in different directions and then come back and go at it more. Not necessarily rude to us, but extremely unprofessional. Anyways I think we got a bit off topic....
    He felt like his life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
    follow us on Twitter! @MickeyMutineers
    DisregardListen to our podcast on iTunes!

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    WDW Experts-

We have decided to be crazy and book a quick WDW visit. We have been before and since we were coming from California, splurged on the Poly. Since this is a crazy trip on a shoestring budget, we decided on a package that has us staying at the All Star Resorts. I have heard that the all stars are very far away from the theme parks. Do you have any advice as to which of the all star will get us to the parks quicker. Which resort or building is the most convienient or closest to the shuttles? Thanks for the expertise in advance!
    All of the All Stars are in the same area and share a common access road so no one resort really makes that big of a difference in terms of being closer/faster to get to the parks. Except in slow times of the day when All Star Sports does have the advantage of being the first stop. In terms of which building select a preferred room at the all stars will get you in a building that's closer to the food court, lobby and bus stations, it costs an extra $15/night for the preferred room but if your not driving it could save you a lot of walking. (I was down there for a Travel Agent training session last month and we stayed in building 6 at the All Star Music resort, about a third of a mile walk to the front desk...)

Preferred room vrs close to the front requests: If you want to save the $15/day you can have your travel agent/Disney Planner "request" a room close to the front when they book your vacation. While Disney tries to honor all requests there are just that requests, and there is no guarantee you will get what you ask for unless you pay the extra money for the preferred room. (particularly during busy times, if the resort is dead you may get lucky so I always request it when putting in reservations for clients who opt for the non-preferred rooms.)

Now if you plan on renting a car all buildings in the all star complex are close to a parking lot of some sort and if you don't plan on eating at the resort at all any room will do, they are all the same in each resort with the exception of the family suites in the All Star Music.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by OCBear View Post
    If you can swtich to Pop Century it is better. They don't share buses with the other value resorts. Only took about 20 minutes to get to MK. All the other parks were 10-15 minutes.

Personally I like the Pop better as well, it's newer, the pools seem to be a bit more interactive especially the flower power pool and the layout is not as linear. (plus you get 3 pools vrs 2 each at the all stars) The downside however is that the pop has over 1,000 more rooms so during peak season when the all stars have separate buses for each resort they do have a little bit of an edge there. They also don't have the suites like the All Star Music does so your limited to 4 people per room plus an infant per room.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...