Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Test Track to close?

If GM does pull out I am all for a Cars-retheming. I'm usually against the push to make every attraction at DW a Pixar attraction but in this case the set-up is too perfect not to consider. I've reallly never been a fan of the current theme of TT. It is just too bland for me.

Aimster-I would be all for a World of Motion return but it is hghly unlikely.

• When Will It Return?

Radiator Springs Racers II here we come!

I'd hope for a version of Journey to the Center of the Earth (could pretty easily be done without any changes to the layout of anything, just redressings of the sets and vehicles needed), but that's like hoping for the sun to turn green.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Blog Entries

I'm more than ok with Test Track getting a makeover of some sort of GM drops out since it is fairly lame outside of the big loop. But please, do not make it a Cars ride. As tenuous as the connection is to the future or education, there is at least a little bit there. A ride about Cars would make absolutely no sense in Futureworld. I'm ok with putting the radiator springs attraction in DHS though and remaking Test Track into something brand new however, maybe World of Motion 2.0?

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    The bit about "bland by Disney standards" rings true to *my ears*, but there are entire hordes of guests who visit that like the ride,
    I agree. It may be lame, but Test Track thrills lots of people, and pushes lots of people through with a big line still outside, its just what Disney wants. A "big draw" without the worry that is too thrilling a la Tower of Terror or Mission Space.

Test Track will be one of the last replaceable-marquee attractions (M:S, TT, RnRC) to leave. But...it will be outlived by Soarin.

• Minion

I would put my money on Test Track morphing into a "lite" version of Radiator Springs Racers. This would fit two trends - 1) pixarification and 2) WDW getting watered down versions of DL attractions.
    Down with the Hat

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

My dad would be devastated if they closed TT! We went on it back in January and he had a hoot.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I'd wondered about this myself from the instant the Big 3 started sniffing at Congress.

The bit about "bland by Disney standards" rings true to *my ears*, but there are entire hordes of guests who visit that like the ride, so I'm less sure about this part. It seems to me very likely that GM won't renew sponsorship of TT, and maybe even stop payments if they still have some to make, but I'm not sure that means Disney will close the attraction. Sponsorship does not equal ownership, after all.
    Kevin here's where I have to disagree to an extent, perhaps it's because I read the Test Track book they used to sell there that described the efforts the Imagineers went into or that I had visited the GM testing facilities back in the day when my old company supported them. But the queue area and some of the test areas are a good representation of what QC testing is all about in the automotive industry. Right down to the toolboxes and oily rags they had added to the queue. If anything it's big problem is it's too realistic to that environment and to a lesser extent the technology. Perhaps it's because TT is simply not dumbed down enough for today's Epcot which seems intent on setting the bar as low as possible these days compared to previous incarnations of the pavilions that once graced Futureworld. Of course, if we where looking at this ride in the context of the late 80's early 90's back when futureworld was about edutainment and science we would probaly be complaining that Test Track was too simple... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    I hope they don't close it down! I haven't been on it yet..........
    Whatcha waiting for Pretzel? I thoght you would have made a b-line for WDW when they closed the VMK Kiosk at DL! (Nice to see you again BTW)

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Bring back World of Motion!
    I'll second that, and add a loop! (I'm just amazed I beat you to it this time Aimster!)
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

• HauntedOne999

What they should do... if GM pulls out and TT closes they should make a newer version of World of Motion blended with the idea of Magic Skyway from the 64 World's Fair... it would be perfect you would get the nastalgia of the old ride and the thrill of TT all in one!
    Known in most other circles as "HauntedOne999"

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!"

Disneyland CM Dec. 2005 - May 2007

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Jerren View Post
    I'll second that, and add a loop! (I'm just amazed I beat you to it this time Aimster!)
    FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpoe001 View Post
    What they should do... if GM pulls out and TT closes they should make a newer version of World of Motion blended with the idea of Magic Skyway from the 64 World's Fair... it would be perfect you would get the nastalgia of the old ride and the thrill of TT all in one!
    Now that would be interesting.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    remaking Test Track into something brand new however, maybe World of Motion 2.0?

Yes! You are hired. Start building!!!
    MiceChat 101: Be NICE! If you don't play well with others, you are in the wrong sandbox.

Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Gotta love rumors from a blog...

The quote from the article says nothing about it closing, only GM walking away.

Losing corporate sponsorship is a far cry from shutting down a ride.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

• Irrational Mr. Toad Fan

Make a new Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in it's place!!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    I'm more than ok with Test Track getting a makeover of some sort of GM drops out since it is fairly lame outside of the big loop. But please, do not make it a Cars ride. As tenuous as the connection is to the future or education, there is at least a little bit there. A ride about Cars would make absolutely no sense in Futureworld. I'm ok with putting the radiator springs attraction in DHS though and remaking Test Track into something brand new however, maybe World of Motion 2.0?
    Future World has never fully been about the future...the Imagination pavilion wasn't ever really about the future and the current version of the Seas certainly isn't. Cars-Land lite is my prediction.

I think the idea of combining World of Motion and Test Track is great...but nowadays I don't think Disney would ever build a ride with that many animatronics. The current fashion is to have one or two neat animatronics with a bunch of digital projections...I expect that to be the course of the future.
    Down with the Hat

• Progressive Disneylander

Nothing a Cars-theme makeover won't fix! Ok, I'm not necessarily all for them doing that, but I can see Disney doing it regardless.

It's not even so much that I'd like to see DCA have an exclusive to the concept, but I don't think Disney/Pixar character-themed attractions fit in Epcot. I think they're fine in every other park, but Epcot. My expectations of Epcot attractions are different than any of the other Disney park because that's the precedent that Disney has set for that park.

I like the ride in its current state OK. It's never stood out as a favorite or anything. I wouldn't want to see it shutdown without there being a better replacement in store for the spot.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Future World has never fully been about the future...the Imagination pavilion wasn't ever really about the future and the current version of the Seas certainly isn't. Cars-Land lite is my prediction.
    Sorry but I have to disagree. Future world was about the future when it first opened, Horizons definitely was, parts of Imagination was (remember astronaut figment and all the future career choices), Bodywars was set in the future (unless Disney really has shrink ray technology, the only thing that seems to shrink is the amount of money in my wallet each time I go...) UOE is pretty much the same idea (oil bad renewable energy good) SSE had an ending with us all sitting in front of video phones tied together with fiber optics, The land had all the fancy hydro and areo ponics which back then was still futuristic, and the seas had Sea base alpha with the hydrolators and all.

In the end what happened is what always happens with parks and rides based on the "future" they get eclipsed by reality and become costly to update to try to stay one step ahead of progress. Think about Tomorrowland and how mission to the moon was obsolete in WDW almost as soon as it opened as we really had landed on the moon by that time.

I think the idea of combining World of Motion and Test Track is great...but nowadays I don't think Disney would ever build a ride with that many animatronics. The current fashion is to have one or two neat animatronics with a bunch of digital projections...I expect that to be the course of the future.
    Given that Disney has outsourced a lot of it's AA work these days I'm afraid your probably right about that as well, which is both a shame and a big risk. If one of the tiki room birds or pirates break down not many people would notice but if Mr Potatohead goes dark or the Yetti is stuck in b mode for months on end it gets a lot of attention because it is the only AA in the ride.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast