Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Blog Entries

Re: Test Track to close?

Future World has never fully been about the future...the Imagination pavilion wasn't ever really about the future and the current version of the Seas certainly isn't. Cars-Land lite is my prediction.
    When it first opened it was. Anymore its more like Discoveryland (As an aside, I'd actually prefer for the name to be changed to this if they're not going to continue to support the futureworld theme). As already pointed out, SSE was about how communications developed throughout history and how they would direct us into the future, Horizons was most definitely about where we were headed as a future, Universe of Energy was about finding new energy for our future and the different ways we might do that, World of Motion was again about the history of the automobile, but also looking forward to how transportation will be in the future. The Land has always been futuristic leaning with the scientific research they do there about growing crops. Granted the imagination ride was more about understanding imagination, but it was with the idea of how imagination helps us develop new technologies and ideas, so even in that vein it was about the future.

Then of course we later added the Wonders of Life which I agree wasn't as much futuristic looking as it was discovery oriented but the idea of shrinking down and being injected inside a body could be future oriented. I'll agree that this is really the first pavilion that started the move away from future based attractions to learning attractions. The Seas were very futuristic when they first opened. The idea was that we would live on the ocean floor. They built a undersea laboratory that we all got to go visit. Granted its not future looking in its current incarnation, but its still education oriented.

As I said earlier though, I agree that we've moved away from the idea of futureworld and into discoveryworld and I'm ok with that as well. I like the idea of edutainment and I don't mind the use of cartoon characters to do it. I don't really like the ride they put in the seas though. I wish they had used the characters from the ride to teach us about the ocean rather than just reliving bits and pieces from the movie. I think they missed a great opportunity there. However the rest of the pavilion does that nicely so I can slightly ignore that mistake.

That said, I just don't see anyway that a Cars based attraction like radiator springs fits in either Futureworld or Discoveryworld. I see that eventually coming into DHS, and I'm very excited about it being there. I don't see anyway that we could use the cars characters to teach us anything about our world.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by kcnole View Post
    That said, I just don't see anyway that a Cars based attraction like radiator springs fits in either Futureworld or Discoveryworld. I see that eventually coming into DHS, and I'm very excited about it being there. I don't see anyway that we could use the cars characters to teach us anything about our world.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not in favor of a Cars retheme for Test Track, and I don't think it's good thematically. But it's exactly the kind of low budget, movie-tie-in makeover that wouldn't surprise me. I would much rather see a "Cars Land" built at DHS, but I don't see WDW spending that much money on an established park.
    Down with the Hat

Well, they're spending it on DCA, no? Is the assertion that DHS is more of an established park than DCA? Hmm, I'm not sure what kind of criteria there is for that, but I, for one, sure would rather spend my time at DCA.

Oh, unless you meant that WDW would more likely spend the money on a new park than an existing one? That certainly makes sense.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

Even if GM were to void the sponsorship of Test Track, I think it is pretty clear that there's no way Disney would shut down the ride. Energy lost its sponsor a long time ago and never shut down. Same thing for the Living Seas. SSE was without sponsorship for awhile and kept going. Test Track is one of the most popular rides at Epcot, and because it's a thrill ride, it's a huge marketing draw for the park. Disney would keep it running even if they had to shoulder more of the cost.

The more interesting question to me is, "is Test Track bland?" I side with the "Yes" contingent. I think Test Track is where the park started to lose focus, where EPCOT starting becoming Epcot. You look at all those original Future World pavilions, and they all had clear, strong messages and themes that stood on their own, and as part of a cohesive unit. But the idea behind Test Track is quite a departure. "Automobile Testing Facility" is not nearly as strong, focused, forward-looking, or even noble as a "World of Motion". Clear story ideas resonate, even if they have an educational bent.

To top it off, Test Track is woefully under-themed for a premier Disney attraction. I remember my first glimpse of the interior of that gleaming wheel-shaped building, stripped of its elaborate WOM set pieces. Test Track is 90% Trip Through a Warehouse, and 10% Trip Through a Parking Lot. One may argue that real test facilities are like that, and one may be correct, but it is not a fun, immersive environment to explore, not when it's competing with fairy tale castles, Runaway Desert Trains, or vast African Safaris.
    -Shane

An obsession with arcane, obscure, and absurd secrets of Walt Disney World

• Banned User

Im in favor of removing Test Track

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelrah View Post
    To top it off, Test Track is woefully under-themed for a premier Disney attraction. I remember my first glimpse of the interior of that gleaming wheel-shaped building, stripped of its elaborate WOM set pieces. Test Track is 90% Trip Through a Warehouse, and 10% Trip Through a Parking Lot. One may argue that real test facilities are like that, and one may be correct, but it is not a fun, immersive environment to explore, not when it's competing with fairy tale castles, Runaway Desert Trains, or vast African Safaris.
    "Under-themed"? Really? I sounds more like you don't like the theme (which is fine). But I think it's safe to say the theme is pretty well executed. You even suggest that real test facilities may be like that.

But is TT really competing with those things? I'd say when you look around at Future World, it compares just fine. It may not be as fanciful or as fun as what you mention, but there's an entirely different theme for this part of the park altogether.

Point is, people may not like what Test Track does, but what it does, it seems to me to do it pretty well. Not that I'd mind seeing it get some imaginative attention.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    Well, they're spending it on DCA, no? Is the assertion that DHS is more of an established park than DCA? Hmm, I'm not sure what kind of criteria there is for that, but I, for one, sure would rather spend my time at DCA.
    Regardless of which is the better park, DHS gets close to 10 million visitors a year, while DCA gets less than 6 million. In that sense, DHS is far more "established" as a success, by Disney standards, than DCA is. The whole idea of building CarsLand, Little Mermaid, and World of Color is to bring DCA into the same league, numerically speaking, as WDW's secondary parks.
    Down with the Hat

I'm not entirely with you on the idea that attendance is a true indicator of success or "establishment", but either way, I think we agree that the Cars Land effort makes much more financial sense for DCA than DHS.

I subscribe to Automotive News.

It is a commentary piece, not a news article reporting something. GM's ten year sponsorship contract is up for renewal next month, and the commentator was speculating that GM may not renew. That does not lead to the conclusion that the attraction will close.

Test Track isn't closing.

Now why would you think a simple thing like the truth would stop rampant speculation?

• When Will It Return?

Spaceship Earth is sitting in Epcot as a testament to how powerful an attraction's sponsor really can be over the attraction and its content. Test Track may not be closing, but the sponsor issues could cause a lot of huge changes to the attraction.

IMO, that's a positive. Test Track is the Indy of Epcot. It brings in crowds while never operating at 100%, and routinely having painfully obvious malfunctions in show content and effects. If a change in sponsor can help correct this, then I'm all for it.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    sponsor issues could cause a lot of huge changes to the attraction.
    "Could" but not necessarily "require", right? I would think that the only changes that would be necessary would be around specific GM branding - their cars, their logos, etc. I hope Disney would have enough foresight not to include anything "mission critical" that would be tied directly to the sponsorship deal.

Of course, that's all speculation on my part, I'm just trying to understand exactly what these sponsorship deals entail. Granted, a revamp wouldn't be terrible, but I wonder if it would truly be necessary - from a financial/legal standpoint.

Heck, they still mention GE in CoP!

• Banned User

If they replaced TT with another, equal or superior ride, that would be ok with me. But just blithely shutting it down because they lost a sponsor...that is totally weasel corporate behavior. They've already shut down an entire pavillion at EPCOT for lack of a sponsor, which I find reprehensible. Not every ride needs a sponsor; last I looked, Disney was still charging admission at the gate, and collecting lots more money from sales in the park. Here's an idea: how about Disney sponsoring the rides?

• When Will It Return?

Didn't the closing of Wonders of Life Pavilion also have to do with a prolonged serious lack of attendance? I wouldn't be surprised if Innoventions also closed if no sponsors were paying Disney any money for the space.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    But just blithely shutting it down because they lost a sponsor...that is totally weasel corporate behavior.
    Again, I don't see there being any basis in truth for the rumor that TT would be shut down IF General Motors pulled their sponsorhip.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast