Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Exclamation Test Track to close?

The Truth About Cars reports that Automotive News reports that GM and Disney might shut down Test Track. Unfortunately the AN article is behind a subscription barrier, so we'll have to take TTAC's word for it.

The general sentiment on the site seems to be that Test Track is fun but rather bland by Disney standards. One commenter pointed out that GM isn't doing itself any favors by associating itself with a ride that is constantly breaking down.

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: Test Track to close?

I'd wondered about this myself from the instant the Big 3 started sniffing at Congress.

The bit about "bland by Disney standards" rings true to *my ears*, but there are entire hordes of guests who visit that like the ride, so I'm less sure about this part. It seems to me very likely that GM won't renew sponsorship of TT, and maybe even stop payments if they still have some to make, but I'm not sure that means Disney will close the attraction. Sponsorship does not equal ownership, after all.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Circle of Ancients

I for one would be VERY upset if TT was closed. I love the ride, as does everybody else in my family.

I was wondering about the GM sponsorship, and honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was terminated.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I can see them closing down the ride. My family does love the ride (especially the kids), but honestly, it seems to be broken down more than it is up when I am there. It does seem a bit bland, but I think it is well themed. I wish it worked more often. I would hate EPCOT to be losing another ride.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I hope they don't close it down! I haven't been on it yet..........
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

I'd be surprised too if it is closed, I can however see the GM sponorship ending and maybe even a slight re-themeing. Like mentioned above sponsorship doesn't = ownership and there have been other attractions that have lost or changed sponsors over the 50+ years of Disney's parks. The attraction is still one of the biggest draws to Epcot (despite what it's few critics say about it) and isn't DCA supposed to be getting a Cars attraction based on the Test Track concept?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I would seriously doubt that Disney would close the ride if they lost their sponsor. They might consider retheming it for a new sponsor, or finding ways to give it exciting new elements - Perhaps even giving it some of the elements of California Adventure's in-development Radiator Springs Racers. But I can't see them letting this ride sit empty at Epcot for long. With the Wonder's of Life building sitting dead on that side of the park, as well as the near by closed Odyssey restaurant complex, three major closed facillities would be too much for that side of the park in my opinion.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 02-09-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

I would hope that if GM pulls its sponsorship that Disney would be able to go to Honda for the sponsorship.

Test Track is one of the attractions that is at the top of my list when I head to WDW. I have talked it up so much that it is one of the first things that my kids want to ride when they finally go to WDW.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

That would be a huge loss for Epcot; I cannot imagine Disney allowing TT to close, with or without a sponsor.

• Gator Dad

It's kind of difficult to envision GM continuing to sponsor Test Track. Sponsorship of a theme park attraction seems like a non-essential expenditure when facing bankruptcy. But I agree that Disney can't let that pavilion sit dormant for too long. Test Track would have to be the second-most popular attraction at EPCOT, besides Soarin'. They can't let it go dark.

• May the F=ma be with you

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
    The general sentiment on the site seems to be that Test Track is fun but rather bland by Disney standards. One commenter pointed out that GM isn't doing itself any favors by associating itself with a ride that is constantly breaking down.
    I absolutely love when people say this... Test Track gives GM a bad name because it breaks down all the time.

People just do not realize the nature of these "break-downs" If more people knew the reason why these "break-downs" occurred, I am almost certain that they would find GM products to be more credible than they think they are.

And don't get me started on why people don't buy GM cars for fear of having problems with it... Ignorance sickens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mamabot View Post
    I would hope that if GM pulls its sponsorship that Disney would be able to go to Honda for the sponsorship.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Disney has been building a relationship with Honda for some time now. Switching Test Track from a General Motors test facility to a Honda test facility could be done rather quickly. I just don't think the attraction would work as well without a sponsor.

or they could just eliminate the testing facility theme and turn it into a dark ride themed to CARS ---------- LOL

• MiceAge Columnist

Don't laugh, Baloo... it will be floated as a viable concept.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Bring back World of Motion!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast