First Trip to WDW as a parent

So I have been to Disney World twice in the last 4 years and I love it. What surprised me was that my wife wanted to go with my 2 year old for his birthday. What I think is surprising me a lot about this trip (besides the amount of preplanning for the drive down) is that its the first time I feel like I don't have to do things at a frenetic pace. I think I'm actually going to enjoy this trip as much if not more than the past because of the fact that we don't HAVE to do anything.
    The only dinner plan we have is on his birthday for Chef Mickey's.

Did anyone feel the same way as I do?

Also its our first trip as DVC members so any trips in that regard as well.

Wish me luck we leave Friday for the drive for NJ to WDW!!!

• Hello there

Blog Entries

Re: First Trip to WDW as a parent

Good luck on the drive!!! I don't know if I could handle that with my 2 year old. I loved going there as a parent becuase I also felt relief that now I can slow down becuase i had to be on his pace. It was terrific!!! I had the best time. I am going back in mAy- he will be 2 1/2.

And for Chef Mickeys - my son had the best time at Chef Mickey's. He was so excited every time he saw the characters. He even opffered Goofy some of his dessert. I am sure your child will have a blast.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Gator Dad

Taking my 15-month old for his first trip next month. I can't wait!

• Disneyholic

Ok first off 2 is a great age, everything is real and hopefully he will not be afraid of the charters. Best advice I can give is make sure you have a portable DVD player or something to keep the lil guy's interest for that long car ride. We started taking our daughter at around 18 months, she's 9 now and has about a dozen trips to WDW under her belt.

I wanted to mention that since he's turning 2 yrs old and doesn't need a ticket don't expect to get a gift card for his birthday. I've seen this with other folks with younger children go to the front expecting to get a gift card for the little one and be very upset when they are told the what will you celebrate reward is for children and adult visitors who would normally need to buy a ticket anyway.
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

Thanks for the tip, we have a DVD player for the car and he LOVES Monster, Inc and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I have loaded some of my classic Disney and Pixar movies into a case and plan to get him "in the Disney mood" by the time we get there.

I wasn't planning on looking for the gift card because of his age, but will they still do the Birthday button? I would like to do a little momento book and put that in there for when he gets older.

• Disneyholic

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDelli View Post
    Thanks for the tip, we have a DVD player for the car and he LOVES Monster, Inc and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. I have loaded some of my classic Disney and Pixar movies into a case and plan to get him "in the Disney mood" by the time we get there.

I wasn't planning on looking for the gift card because of his age, but will they still do the Birthday button? I would like to do a little momento book and put that in there for when he gets older.
    Absolutely you can get the Birthday button from Guest relations in the parks and possibly at check in if your travel agent noted it in your reservation. Usually the parks have more than the hotels. The buttons are all the same basically a blue button with a birthday cake where you can write his name in with a sharpie.

Am I the only one who misses the different Birthday Buttons for each park?
    Hi I'm Jerren and I'm a Disneyholic...

I second the DVD player. Last time we went my daughter was 22 mos old. We brought dumbo and a few princess movies and she was happy as can be on our car ride (about 7 hours). If he is afraid of the dark I would bring a little light up key chain (obviously not too bright) for the dark rides. My daughter suprised us with "fears" last time. Normally nothing scares her, but after riding peter pan behind someone in a white tee shirt she was pretty apprehensive about the dark rides. Hope you have a blast!